CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Barber (fl. 1319–46) gave a rent charge from
which 12d. a year was for bread and ale for the
poor, and Thomas Paulet (fl. 1494) directed that
bread and drink were to be distributed on the
anniversary of his obit. Neither charity survived
the Reformation. (fn. 10) In 1624 Francis Roberts
granted £2 a year for distribution to the poor at
Eastern and Whitsun. (fn. 11) In 1686 the churchwardens successfully sued William Roberts for
the restitution of the £2 and for £180 given in
trust to buy a rent charge of £8 a year to be
distributed in coal. (fn. 12) In the 18th century payments called the coal money were from 2s. to 5s.,
to people whose names were listed by the churchwardens and overseers and approved by the
occupier of Neasden House. (fn. 13) After 1823 the
money was applied with other charities in coal
and bread (fn. 14) until 1882. During the 19th century
the rent charges were replaced by £334 stock. In
1977 the income of £9 a year was distributed in
cash. (fn. 15)
An unknown donor, perhaps Thomas Young,
gave an annual rent charge of £1 for the poor of
Willesden. (fn. 16) Other charities listed in 1826 were
the parish close (3 a. at Fortune Gate which was leased by the overseers) and the poor's land, 1/8 a. next to the churchyard, divided between the poor
houses (fn. 17) and a garden which was let. (fn. 18) Their
origins were unknown, and the poor's land
probably derived from the Middle Ages. The
income was applied in bread and coal each
Christmas until 1882, (fn. 19) but in the 1850s the
trustees failed to present accounts and much of
the land was sold and the proceeds were invested
in stock. In 1874 a Scheme consolidated all the
charities except the Roberts charity but including Freelove's gift for the school; the trustees,
who were to make payments to the school and
apply the rest in clothes, fuel, or medical aid, (fn. 20)
were largely representative of the established
church and were opposed by a faction led by W.
James Wright (d. 1887), a low churchman in
constant conflict with the vicar. (fn. 21) By 1903 the
income was spent on the poor and scholarships; (fn. 22)
in 1978 it was £1,942. (fn. 23)
Laura Seymour by will dated 1863 gave a sum
represented by £333 stock, the income, £10 in
1880 and £8 in the 1960s, to be used for widows
and orphans. (fn. 24)
Edward Harvist's charity, founded by will in
1610 for the maintenance of the Edgware and
Harrow roads, was in 1975 applied by statutory
instrument to the relief of sickness and distress
and to educational and recreational facilities in
the five boroughs through which the roads passed.
Brent L.B.'s share of the income was £34,000 in
1976. (fn. 25)
||Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c 123/43; Cal. Close, 1337–47,
476; P.R.O., E 301/34, no. 181.
||The land concerned once supported Wm. Page's obit:
Grange Mus., Wood F 24, p. 145; above, churches.
||P.R.O., C 78/925, no. 5; 14th Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 382,
pp. 209–12 (1826), xii.
||M.R.O., Acc. 262/40, pt. 2 (Chandos estate map 1787);
Grange Mus., 1 B 3.
||14th Rep. Com. Char.; Grange Mus., Wood F 24,
pp. 145 sqq.
||Char. Com. reg. 211130.
||14th Rep. Com. Char.; Willesden Par. Year Bk.
(1902–3), where Young was mentioned. A Thos. Young was
lessee of Brondesbury in the 16th cent.
||Above, local govt.
||M.R.O., Acc. 262/40, pt. 1 (inclosure claims 1816);
M.R.O., EA/WIL, nos. 183, 200–1; Grange Mus., MS. 66/5.
||Grange Mus., 1 B 29 (bread and coal accts. 1800–82).
||Ibid. MS. 66/8.
||Ibid. Wood F 24, pp. 156 sqq.
Willesden Par. Year Bk. (1902–3).
||Char. Com. reg. 211132.
||Ibid. 211970; Grange Mus., gen. files, charities.