Matthew Smale, presumably the lessee of the manor, was absent from
church in 1589. (fn. 90) Five residents or former residents
of Paddington were charged with recusancy between
1628 and 1640, (fn. 91) one of them being Dame Anne
Conway (d. 1647), a relative of the St. Johns. (fn. 92) Mass
was said to be celebrated at a lone farmhouse c.
1780 (fn. 93) and a few papists were reported c. 1800 but
they had no regular meeting place until the mid 19th
century. (fn. 94) Despite the presence of several religious
orders and a very large attendance in Bayswater, the
total number of Roman Catholic worshippers in
1902, at 2,071, was less than that of either Baptists or
Methodists. (fn. 95) The churches, with other places of
worship, are described below. (fn. 96)
St. Mary of the Angels, Westmoreland (later
Moorhouse) Rd., Bayswater, originated in svces. c.
1849 at no. 4 Sutherland Pl. (fn. 97) Ch. begun 1851 under
Revd. A. Magee, with private benefactions; called
St. Helen's and St. Mary's c. 1854, (fn. 98) opened 1857
under Hen. Edw. (later Cardinal) Manning, first
superior of Oblate Fathers of St. Chas. Borromeo. (fn. 99)
Attendance 1886: 548 a.m.; 475 evg.; 1902: 1,352
a.m.; 193 p.m. Chief ch. of Oblates of St. Chas.,
serving par., schs., and wider missionary work; acquired by archdiocese of Westm. 1974. Grey-stone
bldg. in Early Eng. style by Thos. Meyer: nave, N.
and S. aisles, sanctuary. Outer N. aisle added 1869,
extended 1887, outer S. aisle and Lady chapel 1872
by J. F. Bentley; (fn. 1) unfinished SW. tower. Seating for
500 in 1982. Glass by Bentley. Community ho. c.
Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Vincent de Paul,
Harrow Rd. No. 337 on S. side near Woodfield Rd.
bought by Revd. Ld. Archibald Douglas for St.
Vincent's boys' home 1877. Chapel dedic. to Our
Lady opened 1882. (fn. 2) Reg. as mission ch. of Our Lady
Immaculate 1893 (fn. 3) but dedic. soon changed, perhaps
to inc. that of home, which closed 1912. (fn. 4) Attendance
1886: 171 a.m.; 255 evg.; 1902: 340 a.m.; 97 p.m.
Bldg. in French Gothic Transitional style by J. Hall
1882: nave, apsidal sanctuary, steep wooden roof. (fn. 5)
Demol. 1970 and replaced with concrete ch. in contemporary style, seating 500 and adjoining halls and
priest's ho., consecrated 1976. (fn. 6)
Our Lady of Sorrows, Cirencester Street. Chapel
on ground floor of sch. Attendance 1903: 89 a.m.
Chapel of ease to St. Mary of the Angels until 1912,
thereafter mission ch. served by Oblates of St. Chas.
until 1970, when acquired by archdiocese of Westm.
Plain yellow-brick bldg., with hall and classrooms
later added overhead, 1912; remodelled after fire
1965. Seating for 325 in 1982. (fn. 7)
St. Katharine's chapel of ease reg. at no. 20 Paddington Green 1920. Closed by 1954. (fn. 8)
Our Lady Queen of Heaven opened 1954 by
Oblates of St. Chas. as chapel of ease to St. Mary of
the Angels. Separate par. 1973, after disbanding of
Oblates of St. Chas. Bldg., no. 46 Queensway,
bought from Ethical ch. and originally used by
Meths. (qq.v.). Internal alterations left seating for c.
400 in 1982. (fn. 9)
Sisters of Notre Dame de Bon Secours came to
Eng. at invitation of Cardinal Manning 1870, stayed
temporarily in Kentish Town (St. Pancras), and
occupied ho. in Norfolk Terr. (later no. 166 Westbourne Grove) by 1875. Order originally cared for
sick at home but later acquired own nursing homes;
doctor was writer A. J. Cronin, who lived nearby at
corner of Norfolk (later Needham) Rd. 1927. All
sisters at Bon Secours convent were state reg. nurses
1984. (fn. 10)
Sisters of the Adoration of the Sacred Heart of
Jesus of Montmartre, (fn. 11) having left France and stayed
briefly in Notting Hill, moved into no. 6 Hyde Pk.
Pl., Bayswater Rd., 1903. (fn. 12) Known as Tyburn convent, in memory of martyred Rom. Caths., premises
inc. chapel called Tyburn shrine for relics and continuous public worship. Gdn. of no. 9 acquired c.
1913. No. 6 bombed 1944 but worship soon resumed
at no. 9, (fn. 13) rented 1944 and bought with no. 10 in
1946. Damaged no. 7 acquired 1945 and no. 8 in
1948. New shrine, comprising chapel and crypt of
martyrs, built at nos. 6 and 7 1961-3, (fn. 14) replacing no.
9. Mother ho. of Adorers of Sacred Heart, except
1933-45; Benedictine rule adopted 1914. Tyburn
Assoc. of Lay Adorers formed for night watches
1964. (fn. 15) Convent adjoined offices of Our Lady's
Missionary League and of International Cath. Soc.
for Girls 1981.
Old Roman Caths., established 1704 after excommunication in Holland, reg. chapel of Sacred Heart,
no. 119 Gt. Western Rd., 1952 to 1957. Bldg., a
single room formerly used as coal merchant's office,
reputedly Lond.'s smallest ch. Chapel of Holy Cross
at no. 60 Herries Street also reg. 1953 to 1964. (fn. 16)