LIST OF CHURCHES
Inf. about patrons is taken from Clergy List,
Crockford, and Lond. Dioc. Year Bk. (various
edns.); seating and attendance figs. 1851 are
from P.R.O., HO 129/11/2-5 attendance Wgs.
1886 from Brit. Weekly, 19 Nov. 1886, 1903
from Mudie-Smith, Rel. Life, 63. Liturgical
directions are used in all architectural descriptions. The following additional abbreviations are
used: aft., afternoon; asst., assistant; Dec., Decorated; demol., demolished, demolition; evg.,
evening; mem., memorial; mtg., meeting; min.,
minister; Perp., Perpendicular; R., rector; temp.,
temporary; V., vicar. Most ch. regs. are at
All Saints, Blurton Rd., Clapton Pk. (fn. 80) Site
for ch., Vicarage, and sch. on N. side at corner
of Elderfield Rd. bought by Chas. Jacomb 1868.
Iron ch. seating 500 bought from St. Mat. 1869.
Half bldg. costs of permanent ch. borne by
Jacomb. Dist. formed from St. John 1873. (fn. 81)
Patron rector of St. John, Hackney. High Ch.
svces. as at All Saints, Margaret Street (Westm.).
Attendance 1886: 663 a.m., 634 p.m.; 1903: 387
a.m., 378 p.m. Bldg. of Kentish rag with Bath
stone dressings in Early Eng. style, seating 800,
by F. T. Dollman 1870-1: chancel, nave with
low aisles and tall clerestory, bellcot; SW. tower
and steeple not built. Interior of red and black
brick, with reredos by Earp. (fn. 82) Par. united with
St. John, St. Jas., and All Souls 1972. (fn. 83) Ch.
demol. 1973 (fn. 84) and replaced by All Saints Ct.
flats. Mission in iron chapel in Rushmore Rd.
by 1881; later called Good Shepherd mission.
Attendance 1903: 46 a.m., 71 p.m. Closed c.
1919. (fn. 85)
All Souls, Pedro Street (rebuilt in Overbury
Street), Clapton Pk. (fn. 86) Svces. for populous E.
part of All Saints par. held at no. 1 Bellevue
Terr., Pedro Street, before gift of land between
Overbury Street and Pedro Street by Chas.
Jacomb, where iron ch. seating c. 400 opened
1880. Dist. formed from All Saints and St.
Barnabas, Homerton, 1884. (fn. 87) Patron five trustees, inc. R. of Hackney, V. of All Saints, and
Jacomb. (fn. 88) High Ch. 1884. Attendance 1886: 373
a.m., 350 p.m.; 1903: 254 a.m., 300 p.m. Bldg.
of brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style,
seating 760, by F. T. Dollman 1882-3: chancel,
NE. and SE. chapels, chancel continued over
aisled and clerestoreyed nave, NW. and SW.
porches, bellcot. (fn. 89) Declared redundant 1976 and
demol., with Vicarage to N. and sch. to W. New
ch. of the Risen Christ and All Souls, facing
Overbury Street, consecrated 1977: flat roofed
red-brick bldg. of secular appearance, seating
150, by Fred. To, with free-standing concrete
cross. Served by team V. as part of new par. of
Hackney Marsh from 1985. (fn. 90)
Christ Church, Gore Rd., South Hackney. (fn. 91)
Site at W. end of rd., opposite North (later
Northiam) Street. Dist. formed from South
Hackney, St. Mic. and All Angels, St. Jas.,
Bethnal Green, St. John, Bethnal Green, and St.
Steph., Haggerston, 1871. (fn. 92) Patron J. C. Egan,
first V., (fn. 93) thereafter R. of South Hackney. Attendance 1886: 333 a.m., 209 p.m.; 1903: 241
a.m., 151 p.m. Bldg. of brick with stone dressings in Dec. style, seating 850, by W. Wigginton
1871: apsidal chancel, aisled and clerestoreyed
nave. Demol., after war damage, between 1944
and 1952. (fn. 94) Par. united with St. John of Jerusalem, South Hackney, 1953. (fn. 95) Mission svces. in
room in East Street 1889 and hall in North
Street 1889 to 1914 or later. (fn. 96)
Christ Church, Rendlesham Rd., Clapton. (fn. 97)
Iron ch. seating 350, served by asst. curate from
St. Jas., opened 1868 in Walsingham Rd. (fn. 98) Site
at S. corner of Kenninghall Rd. bought from
Brit. Land Co. by Chas. Jacomb 1866 and
conveyed to Eccl. Com. 1870. Dist. assigned
from West Hackney and St. Jas. 1871. (fn. 99) Patron
R. of West Hackney and V. of St. Jas. alternately. Increasingly High Ch., until 'full
Catholic ceremonial' achieved 1911. Attendance
1886: 388 a.m., 120 p.m.; 1903: 153 a.m., 161
p.m. Bldg. of brick with brick and stone dressings in Dec. style, seating c. 700, by W.
Wigginton 1870-1: chancel, N. and S. chapels,
aisled and clerestoreyed nave, bellcot; interior of
variegated brickwork. (fn. 1) Demol., after war damage, between 1944 and 1952. (fn. 2) Svces. in par. hall
1940-4 and in St. Jas. 1945-53. Par. united with
St. Jas. 1953. (fn. 3)
Good Shepherd, High Hill Ferry, see St.
Good Shepherd, Rushmore Rd., see All
Holy Trinity, Woodland Street, Dalston. (fn. 4)
Finance for ch. on W. side of street from proceeds of demol. of Merchant Taylors' Co.'s ch.
of St. Martin Outwich (Lond.). Dist. formed
from St. Phil. and St. Mark 1879. (fn. 5) Patron
Merchant Taylors' Co. to 1937, (fn. 6) thereafter bp.
Attendance 1886: 461 a.m., 465 p.m.; 1903: 95
a.m., 197 p.m. Bldg. of red brick in Early Eng.
style, seating 600, by Ewan Christian 1878-9:
very short chancel flanked by vestries, N. and S.
transepts, crossing tower with NE. stair turret,
aisled and clerestoreyed nave. Reopened after
war damage, with S. transept reduced in height,
1952. Svces. in neighbouring red-brick hall of
1908 in Beechwood Rd. in 1987, during renovation of ch., which served par. of Holy Trinity
with St. Phil. from 1953. Patron bp. (fn. 7)
Holy Trinity, Lea Bridge, see St. Matthew.
Kingsland Chapel, Kingsland Rd. (fn. 8) Chapel of
Kingsland leper hosp., founded c. 1280 and
annexed to St. Bart.'s 1549, on S. side of Ball's
Pond Rd. (fn. 9) Continued as proprietary chapel on
closure of Kingsland hosp. 1760. Min., nominated by governors of St. Bart.'s, to maintain
fabric and be supported by congregation. Attendance 1842: c. 20. Small stone medieval bldg. on
par. boundary, which ran through N. and S.
doorways, had bell-turret, chancel with squints.
Floor lay c. 3 ft. below level of highway when
chapel demol. 1845. (fn. 10)
Ram's Chapel, High Street, Homerton. (fn. 11) Site
on N. side of street in gdn. of ho. of Steph. Ram
(d. 1746). Proprietary chapel, left to Ram's
son-in-law Revd. Reeve Ballard, who employed
preacher before leasing it to V. of Hackney
1765 (fn. 12) and whose son sold it 1775; vested in 12
trustees 1791. Small dist. allocated by V. of St.
Barnabas, Homerton, from 1891, chapel min.
being licensed as curate and otherwise independent. Evangelical svces. to be held by
ordained clergymen; adaptations, inc. admission
of lay preachers, led to description of chapel as
Meth. 1795 (fn. 13) but established Low Ch. practices
soon restored. John Eyre (d. 1803) was min. c.
1785. (fn. 14) Tradition, with emphasis on preaching,
maintained by trustees 1924, 1930. Compensation paid to V. from ch. rates 1765-76, (fn. 15) as pew
rents inadequate, but 19th-cent. chapel maintained by pew rents, collns., and, from 1883,
endowment. Attendance 1851: 400 a.m., 600
p.m.; 1886: 295 a.m., 249 p.m.; 1903: 257 a.m.,
179 p.m. Bldg. of 1729, (fn. 16) with 21 rented pews
and gallery 1771, (fn. 17) seating 600 in 1851 and 500
in 1881. Long, nondescript exterior, of brick
with stone dressings, 2 rows of round-headed
windows along street, W. cupola. (fn. 18) Closed when
in disrepair 1933, svces. being held at Sun. sch.
in Urswick Rd. until 1934. Trust dissolved 1936,
when endowment and money for site, taken for
rd. widening, transferred with plate to St. Mary,
Becontree Heath (Essex). Among other fittings,
pulpit and 2 stained-glass windows went to St.
And., Whitehall Pk., Islington. (fn. 19)
St. Andrew, Well Street, see St. John's
St. Augustine of Canterbury, Victoria Pk.
Rd., South Hackney. (fn. 20) Svces. by clergy of South
Hackney in sch. room when Crown granted site
for ch. on NW. side of pk. c. 1865. Bldg. costs
from Bp. of Lond.'s Fund, Lond. Diocesan Ch.
Bldg. Soc., and subscriptions. Dist. assigned
from South Hackney 1867. (fn. 21) Patron rector of
South Hackney. Attendance 1886: 333 a.m., 436
p.m.; 1903: 225 a.m., 261 p.m. Bldg. in Early
Eng. style, seating 1,086, by J. H. Hakewill 1867:
chancel, aisled nave, pinnacled W. tower. (fn. 22)
Closed after war damage 1944, demol. 1952 or
later. (fn. 23) Par. united with St. Mary of Eton 1953. (fn. 24)
St. Barnabas, High Street, Homerton. (fn. 25) Purchase of lands W. of Brooksby's Walk from 1845
largely financed by ch. bldg. com. and Joshua
Watson. Dist. assigned 1846. (fn. 26) Patron bp. Attendance 1851: 500 a.m., 400 p.m.; 1886: 287
a.m., 301 p.m.; 1903: 153 a.m., 241 p.m. Bldg.
of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings in Dec.
style, seating 600, by A. Ashpitel 1845-7: chancel with N. vestry, nave with S. aisle, S. porch,
W. tower; N. aisle, planned if nos. should rise,
added 1851-2. (fn. 27) 'A good country ch.' (fn. 28) but criticized by Ecclesiologist; some proposed decoration
excluded as too High Ch. Damaged 1944 but
restored by W. C. Lock, with remains of chancel
converted into vestries, and rededicated 1958.
Ch. formed part of group with Ashpitel's Tudor
Vicarage and sch. to W.
St. Barnabas, Shacklewell Row. (fn. 29) Hindle Street
mission, for part of West Hackney par., (fn. 30) succeeded by svces. on upper floor of Merchant
Taylors' sch. mission ho. opened E. side of
Shacklewell Row 1890. (fn. 31) Attendance 1903: 69
a.m., 145 p.m. Finance for ch. inc. grants from
sch., Bp. of Lond.'s Fund, and Eccl. Com.
Patron Merchant Taylors' sch. by 1935. Bldg.
of stock brick and concrete, not oriented, with
round-headed windows and externally plain
because hidden behind mission ho. but internally Byzantine in plan and style, seating 400,
by C. H. Reilly 1909-10, consecrated 1929: apse,
chancel with aisles carried round as ambulatory,
SE. chapel, tunnel-vaulted nave with aisles carried round W. end as baptistery; vestry 1937.
Shallow dome over chancel. Altar fittings by
Reilly; pulpit from Christ Ch., Clapton. Widely
praised: 'the best ch. of its date in Lond.'. (fn. 32)
Served par. of West Hackney, with smaller ch.
of St. Paul, from 1955. Patron bp. (fn. 33)
St. Bartholomew, Dalston Lane. (fn. 34) Svces. of
'Free Ch. of Eng.', seceders from St. Phil. under
dismissed asst. curate R. S. Daniell, in iron ch.
NW. side of rd., opposite Graham Rd., 1874.
Iron ch. sold to evangelical mission 1882 but site
acquired for chapel of ease to St. Mark. Financed by St. Mark's congregation. Dist.
assigned from St. Mark and St. Phil. 1897. (fn. 35)
Patron trustees, later Church Patronage Soc.
Attendance 1886: 407 a.m., 472 p.m.; 1903: 216
a.m., 286 p.m. Bldg. of brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style, seating 800, by J.
Johnson 1884-5: chancel under same roof as
aisled and clerestoreyed nave. Closed during
Second World War. Members remained together without incumbent until par. merged
with St. Mark 1953. (fn. 36) Bldg., assigned as hall for
united par., survived as storeho. for ch. fittings
1962 but demol. by 1980. (fn. 37) Adjoining Gothic
Vicarage derelict 1991.
St. Bartholomew's chapel, see Kingsland
St. James, Lower Clapton Rd. (fn. 38) Site on W.
side of rd. opposite Clapton Ho. given by Revd.
Thos. Baden Powell, owner of Clapton Ho.,
1840. Financed by Hackney ch. bldg. cttee. as
chapel of ease. Jas. Cotton Powell first min.,
followed by cousin Geo. Powell and Geo.'s
nephew Geo. Powell Irby. (fn. 39) Asst. curates inc.
Nathaniel Woodard (d. 1891), founder of Woodard schs. (fn. 40) Dist. assigned from St. John 1863. (fn. 41)
Patron rector of Hackney. Low Ch., pioneer of
evg. svces., c. 1892. (fn. 42) Attendance 1851: 400 a.m.,
300 p.m.; 1886: 554 a.m., 282 p.m.; 1903: 481
a.m., 416 p.m. Bldg. of brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style, seating 1,050 in 1851
and 900 in 1881, by E. C. Hakewill 1840-1:
unusual variant of cruciform plan, with chancel
with N. vestries and S. octagonal bell turret, N.
and S. transepts with entrance porches, wide
nave, W. baptistery. Chancel rebuilt with S.
chapel by W. D. Caroë, rest of ch. reseated,
1902. E. window by Burlison & Grylls. Floors,
served by NW. stair and lift turret of steel and
glass, have been inserted into nave. Ch. served
par. of St. Jas. with Christ Ch. from 1953.
Patron R. of Hackney. (fn. 43) Par. united with St.
John at Hackney 1971. (fn. 44) Mission svces. at rooms
in Lea Bridge Rd. by 1888. (fn. 45) Attendance 1903:
34 p.m. Closed c. 1922. (fn. 46)
St. James, Stoke Newington Rd., see West
St. John at Hackney, see above (the old parish
St. John's chapel, Well Street. (fn. 47) Site at corner
of St. Thos.'s Pl. given by John De Kewer for
chapel of ease to serve South Hackney. Finance
for bldg. and endowment from J. J. and Joshua
Watson, H. H. Norris, and others, inc. grant
from vestry, which agreed to maintain structure
1809. (fn. 48) Fund vested in 5 trustees, inc. V. of
Hackney, 1810. (fn. 49) Served without payment by H.
H. Norris 1825. (fn. 50) Many seats free. Became ch.
of new rectory of South Hackney, with dist.
assigned 1831. Patron W. G. Daniel-Tyssen. (fn. 51)
Plain bldg., seating 750, by Jas. Savage (fn. 52) 1809-
10; not oriented. Later enlarged, (fn. 53) having
round-headed windows and pedimented W.
front with Ionic pillars beneath pillared cupola
1843. Superseded by ch. of St. John of Jerusalem
(q.v.) 1848. Mission ch. of St. And., served from
St. John of Jerusalem, built on part of site
1880. (fn. 54) Attendance 1886: 290 a.m., 228 p.m.;
1903: 78 a.m., 135 p.m. Survived, as St. And.'s
hall, until c. 1942. (fn. 55)
St. John of Jerusalem, Lauriston Rd., South
Hackney. (fn. 56) Island site for new ch. to serve South
Hackney rectory, between Lauriston Rd. and
Church Crescent, bought with donation from H.
Wroxton Norris. Subscriptions raised largely by H.
H. Norris. (fn. 57) Dist. and patron those of St. John's
chapel. Attendance 1851: c. 700 a.m.; 1886: 592
a.m., 758 p.m.; 1903: 284 a.m., 401 p.m. Bldg. of
Kentish rag with Speldhurst stone dressings in
Early Eng. style, seating 1,100, by E. C. Hakewill
1845-8: apsidal chancel with N. vestry, N. and
S. transepts, aisled and clerestoreyed nave supported by flying buttresses, W. tower with broach
spire. 'One of largest par. chs. built in or near
Lond. since Reformation'; (fn. 58) design and decoration both welcomed for Catholic spirit and
criticized for ostentation. (fn. 59) Much ornamental
stonework removed as dangerous in 1880s. (fn. 60)
Glass by Wailes destroyed in Second World War,
after which stone spire was replaced by slender
copper spire by Cachemaille-Day. Ch. served par.
of St. John of Jerusalem with Christ Ch. from
1953. Patron Ld. Amherst of Hackney. (fn. 61)
St. Luke, Homerton Terr. (fn. 62) Svces. in Ram's
chapel boys' sch., Durham Grove, then in mission room at no. 176 Well Street 1871. Secluded
site for ch. between terr. and Chatham Pl. given
by St. Thos.'s hosp. Dist. assigned from St.
John, St. Barnabas, St. John of Jerusalem, and
St. Augustine 1873. (fn. 63) Patron first V., W. H.
Langhorne, (fn. 64) then bp. to 1898, then trustees of
St. Olave, Hart Street (Lond.), (fn. 65) who contributed to stipend. Attendance 1886: 813 a.m., 800
p.m.; 1903: 238 a.m., 362 p.m. Bldg. of ragstone
with stone dressings in early Dec. style, seating
900, by Newman & Billing 1871-2: chancel,
short N. transept, SE. chapel, aisled and clerestoreyed nave; SW. tower and spire completed
1882. Mission svces. at hall in Kenton Rd. by
1881. Attendance 1903: 48 a.m., 96 p.m. Superseded, with other premises used by ch., by new
St. Luke's hall, Rivaz Pl., c. 1935.
St. Mark, Sandringham Rd., Dalston. (fn. 66) Iron
ch. in Ridley Rd. opened 1860, destroyed by
storm 1865. Site for permanent ch. at E. corner
of St. Mark's Rd. given by W. A. Tyssen-Amhurst. 'Notorious for its Evangelism' under first
min. W. Y. Rooker (d. 1869). (fn. 67) Dist. assigned
from West Hackney and St. Matthias, Stoke
Newington, after disputes over boundaries,
1871. (fn. 68) Patron bp. Attendance 1886: 796 a.m.,
726 p.m.; 1903: 357 a.m., 445 p.m. Bldg. of brick
with stone dressings in Early Eng. style, seating
1,800, by Chester Cheston 1864-5, consecrated
1870: apsidal chancel, short N. and S. transepts,
aisled and clerestoreyed nave, base of SW.
tower. Tower in early Continental Gothic style
completed, with spirelet and corner turrets instead of intended spire, by E. W. Blackburne
1877-80. Chancel roof raised and apse rewindowed, to take mosaic reredos, c. 1880.
Criticized for size by W. A. Tyssen-Amhurst,
who, however, gave adjoining site for Vicarage,
by Cheston 1873; 'largest area of any Lond. ch.'
1880s. Ornate interior, with polychrome brickwork, iron columns, and stained glass by Lavers
& Barraud in all windows. Unusual glazed openings in roof spandrels over crossing. The only
working external turret barometer in Europe c.
1979, when bldg. termed 'the cathedral of the
East End'. (fn. 69) Served par. of St. Mark with St.
Bart, from 1953. Patron Church Patronage Soc.
Mission by Highgate sch. transferred at instance
of V., E. A. B. Sanders, old pupil and later
prebendary of St. Paul's, from Whitechapel to
no. 18 John Campbell Rd. 1897 and to new
Cholmeley hall, Boleyn Rd., opened 1899. (fn. 70)
Attendance 1903: 47 p.m. Taken over by Church
Army after Second World War, closed 1955,
reopened as club 1958.
St. Martin, Ada Street, see St. Michael and
All Angels, London Fields.
St. Mary of Eton, Gainsborough Rd., Hackney Wick. (fn. 71) Mission established in upper room
of undertaker's shop in Mallard Street 1880.
Iron ch. behind shop, seating 250, opened 1881.
Site of ropeworks on W. side of Gainsborough
Rd. acquired through Ric. Foster and other
subscribers 1880: mission hall and, to its S., iron
ch. seating 350 opened 1884. First missioner was
W. M. Carter, later abp. of Capetown. (fn. 72) All
clergy Old Etonians until 1918. Dist. assigned
from St. Augustine and St. Barnabas, Homerton, 1893. Patron Eton Coll. (fn. 73) Attendance 1886:
181 a.m., 331 p.m.; 1903: 223 a.m., 436 p.m.
Missioner (V. of St. Mary's), 4 assistant curates,
and lay helpers 1910. Bldg. of red brick with
Bath stone dressings in Dec. style, seating 800,
by Bodley & Garner 1890-2: continuous chancel
with N. vestry, tall, narrow-aisled nave, SE.
chapel; two W. bays and porches, baptistery, and
large NE. gate-tower to mission bldgs., by Cecil
Hare 1910-12. Interior has tall piers without
capitals and painted wagon roof; altar and reredos by W. Ellery Anderson 1930. E. window by
Fras. Spear, replacing one by Comper, 1953;
Eton Ho., in Tudor style, built behind ch. and
hall for clerical and lay staff and visiting Etonians
1898. Group of bldgs. inc. 2 hos. and 5 halls
1938. (fn. 74) Par. united with St. Augustine 1953.
Patron Eton mission trustees. (fn. 75) College last
raised funds for mission 1958 and surrendered
freehold 1973. Mission svces. at room in Chapman Rd. by 1894. (fn. 76)
St. Matthew, Mount Pleasant Lane, Upper
Clapton. (fn. 77) Svces. in sch. built at High Hill Ferry
1862. Leasehold of site on W. side of lane given
by Chas. Jacomb and freehold by W. A. TyssenAmhurst, where iron ch. opened 1866. Served
by L. E. Shelford, asst. curate of St. John's and
later prebendary of St. Paul's. Dist. assigned
from St. Thos. and St. Jas., Clapton, 1866. (fn. 78)
Patron bp., from c. 1876 dean and chapter of
Canterbury on augmentation of living from par.
of St. Dionis Backchurch (Lond.). Attendance
1886: 866 a.m., 806 p.m., highest in Hackney
after St. John's; 1903: 631 a.m., 550 p.m. Bldg.
of Kentish rag with stone dressings in Early Eng.
style, seating 750, by F. T. Dollman 1867-9:
apsidal chancel, N. chapel, aisled and clerestoreyed nave, SE. tower with spire. Praised as
landmark on commanding site. Interior inc.
mosaics, delicate carving, metalwork by Skidmore, and stained glass by Powell. (fn. 79) Restored
1953, after war damage, but spire demol. 1962.
After fire 1976 demol. 1977 and replaced by ch.
to S.: low building of brown brick in contemporary style; not oriented. (fn. 80) Mission ch. of Holy
Trinity, Southwold Rd., for Lea Bridge, built
by W. Richards of Springfield 1877, opened
1878 and extended at his expense 1885. Attendance 1903: 99 a.m., 54 p.m. Bldg. of brick,
enlarged by Wm. Bradbury to have 2 aisles with
round-headed windows, bellcot. (fn. 81) Svces. in
boys' sch. at High Hill Ferry from 1874, where
mission ch. of Good Shepherd, Harrington Hill,
built as extension to sch., seating 200, by J. E.
K. Cutts 1879. Attendance 1903: 131 a.m., 73
p.m. Survived as mission hall 1934 (fn. 82) and again
used for svces. after war damage to St. Mat.'s;
leased 1947, sold to L.C.C. 1957, and replaced
by Valley Ho. flats. (fn. 83)
St. Michael and All Angels, London
Fields. (fn. 84) Svces. held in bldg. belonging to Dr.
Williams of Pembroke Ho., who gave site for ch.
at W. end of Lamb Lane, E. side of Lond.
Fields. Dist. assigned from St. John of Jerusalem and St. Jude, Bethnal Green, 1865. (fn. 85) Patron
R. of South Hackney. Attendance 1886: 360
a.m., 283 p.m.; 1903: 289 a.m., 252 p.m. Bldg.
of rag with stone dressings in Early Eng. style,
seating 1,050, by E. C. Hakewill 1864: (fn. 86) chancel,
aisled nave, later SW. tower. After bomb damage 1945, (fn. 87) svces. held in Vicarage, Lamb Lane,
and then in mission hall, Wilman Grove. (fn. 88) Ch.
rebuilt in Lansdowne Drive on W. side of Lond.
Fields. Bldg. of yellow brick and concrete in
contemporary style, seating 150 excluding gallery, (fn. 89) by N. F. Cachemaille-Day 1959-61:
square plan beneath shallow central dome, W.
gallery over vestibule, adjoining hall which can
be opened into ch. Glass by Cachemaille-Day.
Par. united with St. Paul, Haggerston, 1971. (fn. 90)
Mission svces. at hall in Ada Street by 1894.
Attendance 1903: 18 a.m., 65 p.m. Svces. presumably replaced by those in premises opened
as ch. of St. Martin, Ada Street, 1906, closed
1939. (fn. 91)
St. Michael and All Angels, Stoke Newington Common. (fn. 92) Site at E. corner of
Northwold and Fountayne rds. given by W. A.
Tyssen-Amherst for ch. planned in 1883. Svces.
in iron ch., seating 400, 1884. Dist. assigned
from St. Thos. and West Hackney pars. 1886. (fn. 93)
Patron bp. Attendance 1903: 508 a.m., 451 p.m.
Bldg. of red brick with stone dressings in Early
Eng. style, seating 750, by J. E. K. Cutts,
1884-5: chancel with N. vestry, short N. transept, S. chapel, aisled and clerestoreyed nave,
W. porch substituted for projected tower. Glass
by Heaton, Butler, & Bayne. W. end of nave
converted into hall 1972. (fn. 94)
St. Paul, Glyn Rd., Homerton. (fn. 95) Svces. in
King's Coll. Sch. mission chapel, seating 250,
from 1885. Site at angle with Chelmer Rd.,
where ch. built and endowed by Grocers' Co.
of Lond. under Lady Slaney's (Trust) Estate
Act, 1869. Dist. assigned from St. Barnabas,
Homerton, 1889. (fn. 96) Patron Grocers' Co. Attendance 1903: 157 a.m., 171 p.m. Bldg. of red brick
in Early Eng. style, seating 1,000, by Grocers'
architect H. C. Boyes 1890-1: chancel with aisle
carried round E. end as vestry, central tile-hung
tower with spire reached from turreted circular
stair at NE. corner, N. and S. transepts, aisled
and clerestoreyed nave, SW. porch. Served
jointly with St. Barnabas from 1981. (fn. 97) Closed
1982 and leased by diocese to Celestial Ch. of
Christ 1983. (fn. 98)
St. Paul, Stoke Newington Rd., see West
St. Peter, Northchurch Terr., De Beauvoir
Town. (fn. 99) Site at SW. corner of De Beauvoir Sq.
given by Ric. Benyon de Beauvoir, who built
and endowed ch. in memory of Peter de Beauvoir, last sinecure R. of Hackney. Dist., intended
to be coextensive with De Beauvoir Town est.,
from West Hackney by 1851. (fn. 1) Patron R. B. de
Beauvoir. Attendance 1851: 950 and 77 Sun. sch.
a.m., 900 p.m.; 1886: 328 a.m., 507 p.m.; 1903:
91 a.m., 136 p.m. Bldg. of stock brick with stone
dressings in Middle Gothic style, seating c.
1,000, by W. C. Lockner 1840-1: pre-ecclesiological plan, nave with galleried aisles and
pinnacled W. tower flanked by vestibules with
stairs to galleries; octagonal corner turrets; sch.
rooms below. Chancel, with N. aisle and S.
organ chamber, in Romanesque style added by
H. R. Gough 1884.
St. Philip, Richmond Rd., Dalston. (fn. 2) Site in
NE. angle with Park (later Parkholme) Rd. given
by Wm. Rhodes for ch. financed by Hackney ch.
bldg. cttee. Dist. assigned from St. John 1848. (fn. 3)
Patron R. of Hackney. Attendance 1886: 380
a.m., 395 p.m.; 328 a.m., 425 p.m. Bldg. of brick
with stone dressings in Early Eng. style, seating
c. 1,000, by Hen. Duesbury 1841: chancel, aisled
nave, W. tower with spire; 3 W. doorways in
Tudor style; octagonal corner turrets. 'A specimen of modern economical ch. bldg.' Bombed
1940, whereupon svces. held at Holy Trinity,
and demol. between 1947 and 1952. (fn. 4) Par. united
with Holy Trinity 1953. (fn. 5) Mission ch. 1867 was
probably iron ch. of St. Saviour, Dalston Lane,
with registers for 1874-82 and 1885. (fn. 6)
St. Saviour, Dalston Lane, see St. Philip.
St. Thomas, Stamford Hill. (fn. 7) Site on S. side of
Clapton Common at end of Hill (later Oldhill)
Street. Proprietary chapel built by John Devall
for tenants and other residents at Stamford Hill
c. 1774. Leased for first 5 years to V. of Hackney,
but pew rents insufficient and vestry declined to
compensate him for losses 1779. (fn. 8) Served 'for
many years' by Jelinger Symons (d. 1810), asst.
curate of Hackney. (fn. 9) Various owners until sold
by Geo. Richards, V. of St. Martin-in-theFields, to Joshua Watson and 3 other trustees
1827; trustees were to enlarge chapel and R. of
Hackney was to contribute towards min. until
dist. assigned. Repair costs disallowed by
Hackney chwdns. 1835. (fn. 10) Dist. assigned from
St. John 1828. (fn. 11) Patron R. of Hackney. C. J.
Heathcote, incumbent 1827-61, High Ch.; successor F. W. Kingsford sued 3 times in Ct. of
Arches for structural changes and ritualism
1866-7. (fn. 12) Attendance 1851: 400 a.m., 600 evg.;
1886: 425 a.m., 239 p.m.; 1903: 371 a.m., 288
p.m. Rectangular bldg. of brick with stone dressings, seating c. 400, (fn. 13) enlarged to seat 800 and
given E. clock-tower surmounted by open lantern and with stuccoed and rusticated wings by
Jos. Gwilt 1828-9; recessed altar beneath tower,
galleried nave with 2 rows of square-headed
windows. Piecemeal changes made from 1864,
followed by remodelling, copying ch. of San
Clemente in Rome, by Wm. Burges 1873: halfdomed recess for altar, galleries removed, single
row of windows, new coffered ceiling, W.
narthex. (fn. 14) Body of ch. destroyed by bombing in
Second World War and rebuilt in yellow brick
by N. F. Cachemaille-Day: aisled and clerestoreyed nave with square-headed windows.
Svces. at mission of Holy Cross, Ravensdale
Rd., built 1884. Attendance 1903: 25 p.m. Bldg.
sold when part of par. transferred to St. Bart.,
Stamford Hill (Tottenham). (fn. 15)
South Hackney, see St. John's chapel; St.
John of Jerusalem.
Stamford Hill, see St. Thomas.
West Hackney church, Stoke Newington
Rd. (fn. 16) Site for ch. to serve new West Hackney
rectory at SE. corner of Church (later part of
Evering) Rd. given by Wm. Geo. DanielTyssen. Paid for by com., reputedly as first of 9
chs. built with money from Portuguese govt.,
none of which was given dedication; (fn. 17) often
called St. Jas. from 1881. Patron W. G. DanielTyssen and successors. First R. was Geo. Paroissien 1825, formerly asst. curate of St. John's.
Thos. Hugo, R. 1868-76, a noted antiquarian,
and attacked for ritualism. (fn. 18) H. C. Montgomery
Campbell, R. 1919-26, later bp. of Lond.; J. R.
G. Easthaugh, R. 1952-6, later bp. of Hereford. (fn. 19) Largest attendances in Hackney 1851:
1,980 a.m. (inc. Sun. sch.), 480 aft., 1,400 evg.;
1886: 1,004 a.m., 988 p.m.; 1903: 640 a.m., 878
p.m. Bldg. of white Suffolk brick (fn. 20) with stone
dressings in Greek Doric style, seating c. 1,900,
by Rob. Smirke 1821-4: recessed altar of
scagliola, rectangular galleried nave with roundheaded windows, 4-column W. portico with
pediment surmounted by circular tower and
cupola. Later embellishments inc. glass by
Holder in E. window 1842, pulpit by Jas.
Brooks, altarpiece by Earp, and alterations by
G. F. Bodley 1879. Bombed 1940, whereupon
svces. held in hall in former Nat. sch. Par. united
with St. Barnabas, Shacklewell, 1955. (fn. 21) New
pale brown-brick ch. of St. Paul, seating c. 120,
by N. F. Cachemaille-Day 1958-60: flat-roofed
bldg. with tall rectangular windows, not oriented, opening at right angles to similar ch. hall;
free standing altar, wall paintings by Chris.
Webb. Churchyard to E., closed to burials
1879, (fn. 22) survived as public gdn., with gravestones
against wall. Mission room in Hindle Street built
by 1884. Chapel in Clevedon Street, later called
St. Paul's, served partly from ch. by 1889.
Attendance 1903: 25 a.m., 59 p.m. Closed c. 1924. (fn. 23)