A circulating preacher called Davenport, possibly the puritan John Davenport (d. 1670), was
reported in 1637 at Hackney, (fn. 65) where in 1641 a
crowd gathered for rebaptism in the Lea. (fn. 66)
Daughters of the independent divine Philip Nye
(d. 1672) were baptized at Hackney in 1634 and
1636, as was a son of the preacher Adoniram
Byfield (d. 1660) in 1636. The republican John
Goodwin (d. 1665), later ejected from his London vicarage, made his will as of Hackney in
1659. (fn. 67) One of the earliest and largest of the
parish's noted girls' schools was founded before
1650 by a Presbyterian, Mrs. Salmon. Hannah
Woolley, a puritan critic of the more wordly
schools, opened her own establishment in 1655. (fn. 68)
After the Restoration many ejected ministers
came to Hackney, where the vicar William Spurstowe was sympathetic and where London
merchant families could patronize dissenters'
schools. Spurstowe, the employer of Ezekiel
Hopkins and host to Richard Baxter, remained
in the parish after his resignation in 1662. His
widow in 1669 was to marry Anthony Tuckney,
formerly master of St. John's College, Cambridge, and father of the Hackney Presbyterian
Jonathan Tuckney, who also had been ejected
from St. John's. (fn. 69) Friends' meetings took place
in 1662 (fn. 70) and secret meetings were reported in
1664, when the passage of the first Conventicle
Act was expected. (fn. 71) Some 25 people in 1665
attended a conventicle at the house of Margaret
Hammond of Hackney, widow, whereupon eight
were fined, including Thomas Barnardiston,
gentleman, and members of his family. (fn. 72) The
biblical commentator Matthew Poole (d. 1679)
wrote to Baxter from Hackney in 1667-8. (fn. 73)
An early instance of dissenters' co-operation
was provided at Hackney in a 'lecture by combination', reported in 1669. The lecturers, all
well known preachers, were Philip Nye, John
Owen (d. 1683), formerly vice-chancellor of
Oxford University, Thomas Goodwin (d. 1680),
formerly president of Magdalen College, John
Griffith, formerly minister at the London Charterhouse, Thomas Brooks, Thomas Watson, and
William Bates (d. 1699), all ejected from London
livings, and Peter Sterry, who had been chaplain
to Oliver Cromwell. Watson, Bates, and possibly
Sterry were Presbyterians, the others Congregationalist. Relief under the Declaration of
Indulgence allowed a more enduring weekly
lecture, financed by City merchants, to be established in London at Pinners' Hall in 1672. (fn. 74)
Nine houses in Hackney and one in Kingsland
were licensed as Presbyterian meeting places in
1672. They included the houses of two London
aldermen, John Forth, the son-in-law of Sir
Henry Vane, and Henry Ashurst (d. 1680), a
friend of Baxter and treasurer of the Society for
the Propagation of the Gospel. (fn. 75) Philip Sterry,
as a resident of Hackney, procured a licence for
a friend's house. Four of the houses belonged to
men who had suffered ejection: Thomas Senior
and Jonathan Tuckney from Cambridge, Arthur
Barham from London, and Martin Morland
from Weld (Hants). (fn. 76)
Local Dissent drew much of its strength from
rich residents with London connexions, who
themselves conformed but whose sympathies
were shown in their wills. William Spurstowe
and Ezekiel Hopkins were remembered by Sir
Thomas Vyner (d. 1665) (fn. 77) and William Bates
was remembered by Sir Stephen White, by
Nathaniel Barnardiston, together with Arthur
Barham, and by Thomas Cooke (d. 1695). (fn. 78)
Dame Jane Barnardiston, her son Nathaniel, and
White all referred to their kindness to suffering
ministers. (fn. 79)
Private schools continued to be run largely by
dissenters. George Fox (d. 1691), founder of the
Society of Friends, visited a school at Shacklewell in 1671 and again in 1684, when its principal
was Jane Bullock, (fn. 80) who had been among Hackney residents cited for not attending church in
1669-70. (fn. 81) Thomas Cruttenden, ejected from
Magdalen College, Oxford, assisted at the school
of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Salmon, and Martin
Morland, brother of the diplomatist Sir Samuel,
probably also taught in Hackney, where his son
Benjamin in 1685 founded a long lived academy. (fn. 82) Sir Thomas Marsh was reported c. 1682
to have turned his house into an academy for
training nonconformist ministers, who were up
at all hours of the night. (fn. 83)
Twenty fines, amounting to £600, were levied
in 1682 on Arthur Barham, for preaching at
conventicles in his own house. (fn. 84) The churchwardens complained that fines for attending
conventicles had been unlawfully disposed of in
1683 and at least two other conventicles were
reported in 1686. (fn. 85) After persecution had declined, three Presbyterian ministers were active
c. 1690; two of them had a 'competent supply',
one of them being the former combination lecturer William Bates. (fn. 86)
Many national figures served as ministers in
the 18th and early 19th centuries, although
secessions and changes of name obscured the
continuity of their churches. The oldest ministry
was later seen as originally Presbyterian, passing
from Nye through Bates to Matthew Henry (d.
1714) and then to John Barker (d. 1762), (fn. 87) whose
disputed election in 1714 led to the establishment of the Old Gravel Pit meeting. In 1731
Barker's followers were 'declaimed Calvinists'
and the Old Gravel Pit worshippers were 'accounted Arminians'; later the Gravel Pit
meeting was normally described as Congregationalist or Independent, as in due course was
the older meeting. (fn. 88) Barker, a friend of Philip
Doddridge, was suspicious of the Methodist
upsurge inspired by George Whitefield, (fn. 89) who
in 1739 preached three times in a field at Hackney or on the marsh to crowds of 2,000 and
10,000. (fn. 90) John Wesley preached in 1741. (fn. 91)
Hackney village had two meeting houses in
1761, when unidentified Presbyterians were said
also to worship at Clapton. (fn. 92) It still had its
Presbyterian and Independent meeting houses
in 1778, when Methodists were using Ram's
chapel, (fn. 93) but by 1790 there were four meeting
houses, the Methodists having recently acquired
two of their own. (fn. 94) At least eight places of
worship were registered by dissenters in the
1790s, including a schoolroom in the house of
John Eyre, minister of Ram's chapel, and possibly a forerunner of Hackney's first Baptist
church. (fn. 95) Attendance at the parish church had
not lessened in 1810, despite the existence of
seven meeting houses, apart from Ram's
chapel. (fn. 96)
The most famous pastor at either of Hackney's
established 18th-century meetings was the theologian and scientist Joseph Priestley (d. 1804),
who in 1791 briefly succeeded his friend Richard
Price (d. 1791) at the Old Gravel Pit chapel. (fn. 97)
Their Unitarian views gained ground under
Priestley's successors and led to the opening of
the New Gravel Pit chapel, the old one later
passing to Independents. (fn. 98) Priestley, although
not chosen unanimously, found advantages for
his studies which led him to recall his time at
Hackney as the happiest that he had so far
known. (fn. 99) He and many other dissenters were
active not only in pastoral work; they made
Hackney noteworthy for academies which, while
offering a general education, pioneered the work
of the later theological colleges. (fn. 1)
Homerton College, (fn. 2) the most long lived of the
institutions, was known as King's Head academy
when it moved in 1768 from Plasterers' Hall,
London, to a large copyhold house on the north
side of Homerton's high street. Its trustees, who
were appointed by the King's Head Society,
remained strict Calvinists and so avoided what
in the 1790s might have proved to be the fatal
taint of Unitarianism and Jacobinism. John Pye
Smith (d. 1851), (fn. 3) founder of Mill Hill school,
was residential tutor and in effect principal at
Homerton from 1800. The King's Head Society
was replaced in 1817 by the Homerton Academy
Society, concerned solely with maintaining the
academy. In 1819 the house held masters, students, and a large library, and three other houses
were let; 12 of the 18 students were supported
by the society and 6 by the Congregational Fund
Board. (fn. 4) The name was changed to Homerton
College in 1823, graduates qualified for degrees
from London University from 1840, and an
amalgamation with Highbury and Coward colleges formed the purely theological New
College, Hampstead, in 1852. Largely owing to
the Liberal philanthropist Samuel Morley (d.
1886), (fn. 5) who then lived in Lower Clapton, the
Homerton premises were transferred to the
Congregational Board of Education for trainee
teachers and a model school. In 1892 they moved
to the former Cavendish College, Cambridge,
where the name Homerton was retained.
The main house in Homerton's high street
was enlarged in 1811 and replaced by a two-storeyed brick building, originally of seven bays
and with the central three stuccoed and pedimented, to the design of Samuel Robinson in
1823. Dormitories and a school, designed by
Alfred Smith, were built in the garden behind
c. 1852. Bought by the London school board
and used as a school for the deaf, the buildings
made way for flats after 1945. (fn. 6)
Hackney College or Hackney New College (fn. 7)
was founded in 1786 by Dr. Price of the Old
Gravel Pit chapel and other eminent liberal
dissenters, in consequence of the closure of
Hoxton Square academy in Shoreditch. Hackney
House at Lower Clapton was bought and enlarged to take 75 students, although a smaller
number resided and not all were intended for
the ministry. Tutors included the controversialist Gilbert Wakefield (d. 1801), (fn. 8) who objected to
public worship, and Priestley, whose appointment led to the college being denounced as the
'slaughterhouse of Christianity'. Unorthodoxy
and political radicalism infected the students,
whose indiscipline undermined public support,
hastening a financial crisis which led to closure
in 1796. Thomas Belsham (d. 1829), (fn. 9) Priestley's
successor at the Old Gravel Pit and, like him, a
tutor at the college, took pupils at his own house
in Grove Place after 1796.
Hackney Theological Seminary, (fn. 10) at first
popularly called Hackney academy and later,
officially from 1871, Hackney College, was
founded in 1803, largely with a gift from Charles
Townsend of Homerton. It was intended to fulfil
the plans of the late John Eyre, minister of
Ram's chapel, (fn. 11) to educate preachers for his
Village Itinerancy or Evangelical Association for
the Propagation of the Gospel. The academy was
managed by a committee, with George Collison
of Walthamstow (Essex) as tutor, (fn. 12) and used
Eyre's house in Well Street, where the students
lived in converted stabling until new quarters
were built after purchase of the freehold in
1843. (fn. 13) Training of Congregational ministers
came to predominate over missionary work,
although in 1898 the college's trustees had built
or enlarged over 50 chapels, many of which they
still maintained. The college moved to Finchley
Road, Hampstead, in 1887. (fn. 14)
Many new places of worship were registered
in the early 19th century by Independents or by
unspecified Protestants. (fn. 15) Several meetings
founded Congregationalist chapels, although
from 1813 the Unitarians who had moved to the
New Gravel Pit chapel legally formed a new
denomination. (fn. 16) By 1851, out of 24 Middlesex
districts, Hackney was among the 10 with the
highest number of protestant nonconformist
worshippers. In that respect it was like its
neighbours Islington and Bethnal Green, which
it surpassed in being one of six districts where
nonconformists formed more than half of all the
worshippers. (fn. 17) Nonconformists still predominated in 1886, when they accounted for 23,458
attendances at churches and chapels within the
ancient parish, while Anglicans accounted for
20,238; mission services were not included. (fn. 18)
The contrast was greater by 1903, when, without
including Salvation Army meetings, nonconformist attendances had risen slightly while
Anglican attendances, including those at missions, had fallen to 17,705. (fn. 19)
Congregationalists, easily the largest nonconformist body in the metropolitan area c. 1850,
were well supported in Hackney, where many
leading families had long been linked with the
City, Dissent, and Radical politics. Hackney
Congregational association had been formed in
1846, two years before the London Congregational Chapel Building Society. Chapels were
often attached to schools and formed part of an
impressive range of buildings, as at Clapton Park,
the successor to the Old Gravel Pit chapel, in
1871. Such expense testified to the munificence
of individuals, notably of Samuel Morley, to
the middle-class character of much of the parish, (fn. 20)
and perhaps particularly to the strength of nonconformity in Clapton. (fn. 21) Congregationalists,
although challenged in the poorer parts of London, were still dominant in Hackney in 1886,
with 11,636 attendances. The various Methodists had 6,284 attendances, mostly Wesleyan,
and the Baptists 4,226. (fn. 22) Wesleyans, the most
numerous Methodists, by 1872 were organized
into a Hackney circuit, which included some
churches in metropolitan Essex, and a Dalston
circuit. (fn. 23)
New arrivals c. 1850 (fn. 24) included the Brethren,
who were encouraged by William T. Berger of
the paint firm, his brother-in-law James van
Sommer, a solicitor who published a magazine
called The Missionary Reporter, and Samuel
Morley's brother John, senior partner of the
family's textile firm. (fn. 25) Latter-Day Saints and the
Free English Church appeared in the 1850s,
Presbyterians in the 1860s, and the Catholic
Apostolic Church and German Lutherans in the
1870s. The Agapemonites' only London church,
at Clapton Common, was opened in 1896 but
was little used.
The Salvation Army, recorded from 1880, had
early links with Hackney: its founder Gen.
William Booth (d. 1912) and his wife Catherine
(d. 1890) lived at no. 1 Cambridge Lodge Villas
from 1865 and at no. 3 Gore Road (later demolished) from 1868. Their move to Clapton
Common in 1880 enabled them to equip the
Gore Road house as the Army's first training
home, for 30 women cadets. A similar home for
men was opened at Devonshire House, no. 259
Mare Street, in 1881. The Army soon attracted
much publicity to Clapton by adapting the
London Orphan Asylum as its chief hall and
training centre, called Congress Hall, which
often drew enormous crowds. (fn. 26) The Army's
National Headquarters of Women's Social
Work, replacing offices at no. 259 Mare Street
and a temporary branch in Lower Clapton Road,
opened at no. 280 Mare Street in 1911. (fn. 27)
The older sects' relative strength had changed
very little by 1903, when the Congregationalists
had 11,640 attendances, the Methodists 6,332,
and the Baptists 4,791. The Salvation Army had
4,083, followed by the Brethren with 1,498. (fn. 28)
Hackney was still credited with the best attendance in east London, but by that date social
changes were beginning to have an effect. Dalston, still largely middle-class, had a high
proportion of worshippers, whereas Hackney
Wick's was very low. (fn. 29) In 1904 a correspondent
of the secretary of the London Congregational
Union lamented the decay of Cambridge Heath
church, whose supporters had moved away,
leaving their houses to Jews or working people
who let rooms. He knew of 28 places of worship
within a half-mile radius, of which 18 were run
on free church lines and all in difficulties. Although he did not admit that church activities
had become less important in social life, he noted
that there were many more places where people
could meet and he feared that indebtedness
could be avoided only by amalgamations. (fn. 30)
The forces affecting the churches' attendance
and solvency continued in the period 1918-39, (fn. 31)
when most new places of worship were registered by Jews. Presbyterians had no place after
1936, but few other major churches were forced
to close. The greatest change was carried out by
Wesleyans, who in 1914 merged their Hackney
circuit with Victoria Park circuit to form Hackney (South) circuit, itself merged in 1931 with
Hackney Central mission, which had been created on the opening of the long-projected
Hackney Central Hall in 1925. (fn. 32)
The Second World War brought many closures. Some churches were demolished then or
soon afterwards, others reopened for a while,
often in halls or schoolrooms. From the 1950s
amalgamations became common, although a few
churches were rebuilt on a more modest scale.
The Salvation Army gave up its Congress Hall
for smaller premises in 1970. Surviving buildings
were sometimes sold to other denominations, to
Roman Catholics, to Jews, and especially to
Pentecostalists serving the growing Afro-Caribbean population. In 1988 Hackney had five
United Reformed (formerly Congregational)
churches, of which the 'Round Chapel' at Clapton Park remained the finest example of
Victorian affluence. There were three Baptist
churches, two of which had been built since the
war. The Methodists, whose circuits had undergone many changes, had five churches, of which
only the one in Stoke Newington High Street
The following abbreviations are used: Bapt.,
Baptist; Cong., Congregationalist; Dec., Decorated; demol., demolished; evg., evening; Ind.,
Independent; Meth., Methodist; mtg., meeting;
min., minister; perm., permanent; reg., registered; temp., temporary; Utd. Ref., United
Reformed; Wes., Wesleyan. Attendance figs.
1886 are from Brit. Weekly, 19 Nov. 1886, 4;
figs. 1903 are from Mudie-Smith, Rel. Life,
64-6. Locations of the bldgs. are from Stanford,
Maps of Lond. and Old O.S. Maps Lond. Liturgical directions are used in architectural
mtg., (fn. 33) seen as oldest in Hackney, claimed de
scent from ministries of Phil. Nye and Wm.
Bates. Bates preached in Hackney 1669 and was
min. of first perm. mtg. ho., reg. 1694. Bldg. on
W. side of street, with 3 galleries, formed out of
dwelling hos. Fewer than 100 communicants
1712. Normally called Presb. or Calvinist. Distinguished pastors were Bates, John Barker,
whose election led seceders to found Old Gravel
Pit chapel (below), and nonconf. biographer
Sam. Palmer (d. 1813), (fn. 34) who presided over
move to St. Thos.'s Sq. (below) 1773, whereupon old mtg. ho. was demol.
Old Gravel Pit mtg. (fn. 35) formed by seceders
from Mare Street, inc. Ryder fam., on election
of John Barker 1714. Site at gravel pit near
bowling green in Mare Street, opposite St.
Thos.'s Sq., leased by St. Thos.'s hosp. to Allard
Denn, Clapton brewer. Bldg. of brick S. of
Morning Lane and E. of Chatham Pl. 1715-16;
enlarged by one third 1787, after which it had
three parallel hipped roofs. (fn. 36) Dan. Mayo (d.
1733) co-pastor until 1723, while retaining ministry at Kingston-on-Thames (Surr.). (fn. 37)
Colleague and successor Geo. Smyth was
Arminian, perhaps preparing way for move towards Unitarianism under Ric. Price, who often
entertained John Adams, American envoy to
London 1785-8 and later president. Unitarianism strengthened under Jos. Priestley, who reg.
chapel for Presbs. 1792, (fn. 38) and Thos. Belsham,
but formally acknowledged only after move
to New Gravel Pit chapel in 1809 (below,
Unitarians). Old Gravel Pit chapel considered
unsafe and leased 1810 to Congs. who had
formed ch. under John Pye Smith at Homerton
Coll. 1804. Two schoolrooms added 1841, when
windows may have been rearranged and stone
dressings and cornice added. (fn. 39) Attendance 1851:
468 a.m. and 149 Sun. sch. with 85 children
at separate svce. in schoolroom, 397 evg. (fn. 40) Bldg.
enlarged 1853, when it may have received its late
19th-cent. pedimented front. (fn. 41) Last Cong. svce.
1871 but still used as Sun. sch. 1872 after cong.
moved to Clapton Pk. (below). Reopened 1874
as undenom. Old Gravel Pit mission (below,
undenom.), sometimes listed as Cong. (fn. 42)
St. Thomas's Square ch. (fn. 43) Mare Street mtg.
under Sam. Palmer moved from W. to E. side
of street 1773. (fn. 44) New bldg. on SW. side of St.
Thos.'s Sq., enlarged 1824, altered and sch.
rooms added 1841, seating 900 in 1851. (fn. 45) Palmer's successor 1814 was Hen. Forster Burder (d.
1864). Thos. Braidwood (d. 1806), (fn. 46) teacher of
deaf and dumb, was buried in adjoining churchyard. Attendance 1851: 414 and 120 Sun. sch.
a.m., 125 aft., 400 evg.; (fn. 47) 1886: 109 a.m., 141
evg. Bldg. of brick, two-storeyed and with stuccoed and pedimented street front 1891. (fn. 48) Listed
as Cong. until 1879, although min. J. A. Picton
allegedly introduced modified Anglican svces.
without members' full support 1869. (fn. 49) Conveyed
to Presbs. (below), who reg. ch. 1896-1912, (fn. 50)
and later became cinema, then bingo hall. (fn. 51)
Kingsland ch. (fn. 52) Prayer mtgs. for brickmakers
held in foreman's ho. by Thos. Cranfield 1789.
Larger room found 1790, with Sun. sch. (previously in Cranfield's ho.) overhead 1791.
Summer evg. svces. also on Kingsland green.
Site for chapel in middle of Robinson's Row, W.
side of Kingsland High Street, leased by Wm.
Robinson 1792. Chapel next to no. 16 opened
and reg. by Ind. 1794, (fn. 53) whereupon Calvinistic
worshippers temporarily withdrew to ho. of
John Truman (fn. 54) in Providence Pl. Svces. also in
new Sun. sch. and day sch., reg. 1808. (fn. 55) Ministers inc. philanthropist and traveller John
Campbell (d. 1840) from 1802 and writer Thos.
Aveling (d. 1884) from 1838. (fn. 56) Chapel, seating
c. 400, enlarged 1840 and 1845, to seat 950 by
1851. Attendance 1851: 664 a.m. and 20 Sun.
sch., 100 aft., 763 evg. (fn. 57) New chapel on E. side
of street, at corner of later Sandringham Rd.,
reg. 1852. (fn. 58) Site, previously leased, bought from
Tyssen est. 1858. (fn. 59) Bldg. of brick with stone and
terracotta dressings, seating 1,350 with schoolroom below for 800, in Dec. style by Fras.
Pouget 1852: chancel, nave, SW. tower with
crocketted spire; buttresses, pinnacles, large W.
window by Wailes. (fn. 60) Attendance 1886: 430 a.m.,
456 evg.; 1903: 196 a.m., 305 evg. Bldg. survived
1947, closed by 1951. (fn. 61) Mission in Castle Lane,
seating 150, by 1881 and to 1894 or later; mission
in John (later Dunn) Street, Shacklewell Lane,
seating 300 in 1894, from 1871; attendance 1903:
172 a.m., 26 evg.; closed between 1926 and
1932. (fn. 62)
Clapton Park ch. (fn. 63) Seceders from Ram's
episcopal chapel after d. of John Eyre met at
Homerton Coll. and chose John Pye Smith as
first pastor 1804. Took lease of Old Gravel Pit
chapel (above), vacated by increasingly Unitarian cong., 1810. Site on E. side of Lower Clapton
Rd., with adjacent ground to prevent bldg. of
shops, acquired in 1868. Imposing 'Round
Chapel' of Redhill stone with Portland stone
dressings in Romanesque style, seating 1,150 in
1894, by Hen. Fuller 1869-71: (fn. 64) semicircular W.
end flanked by octagonal towers; refaced with
pale Ancaster stone 1906. Bldg. in similar style
to N., entered from Powerscroft Rd., for Sun.
sch. (fn. 65) Attendance 1886 largest of all Hackney
Cong. chs.: 845 a.m., 659 evg.; 1903: 787 a.m.,
708 evg. Utd. Ref. ch. from 1972. United with
Middleton Rd., Dalston (below), 1975. Grove
mission, Brooksby's Walk, from 1863, presumably first in 'Gravel Pit chapel mission rooms'
in the Grove (later Homerton Grove), W. of
Brooksby's Walk, later taken for hosp. (fn. 66) New
mission room on E. side of Brooksby's Walk,
seating 400 in 1894, reg. by unsectarian Christians 1881 and by Congs. 1899. (fn. 67) Attendance
1903: 179 a.m., 243 evg. Temp. closed in Second
World War, taken over by Lond. City Mission
(below, undenom.) 1952. Mission in Chapman
Rd., Hackney Wick, from 1864, seating 200 in
1894. Attendance 1903: 34 a.m., 78 evg.; closed
by 1910. (fn. 68) Mission at corner of Pratt's (later
Glyn) Rd. and Presburg Street, where Sun. sch.
previously held in Elizabeth Ho., from 1882.
Hall and adjoining sch. of Kentish rag with Bath
stone dressings in free Early Eng. style, extended 1890 and seating 500 in 1894, by E. M.
Whitaker 1882: bellcot. Attendance 1903: 31
a.m., 148 evg.; closed 1939, when bldg. served
as wareho. before being bombed. (fn. 69)
Well Street chapel. Mtg. said to have been
founded by Geo. Collison, who from 1803 was
tutor at new Hackney Theological Seminary in
John Eyre's former ho. in Well Street. (fn. 70) New
bldg. on E. side of street, in angle between Grove
Street (later Lauriston Rd.) and Hackney Terr.
(later Cassland Rd.) reg. 1805. (fn. 71) Bldg. probably rendered, of two storeys, with
round-headed windows and one-storey wings. (fn. 72)
Superseded by Hampden chapel (below) 1847 (fn. 73)
and demol. by 1870. (fn. 74)
Upper Clapton ch. (fn. 75) Svces. by theology students at home of John Rumbal, Manor Ho.
opposite Brooke Ho. in Upper Clapton Rd.,
1812. Superseded by bldg. on W. side of rd.,
for which registration was sought by Wm.
Slack and others 1813. (fn. 76) Bldg. was probably
mtg. ho. opposite Mount Pleasant Lane, on part
of Conduit field bought by Slack and others,
opened 1816, enlarged 1841, seating 530 when
closed 1850. Estimated average attendance 1850:
530 and 150 Sun. sch. a.m., 530 and 50 Sun. sch.
evg. (fn. 77) Bldg. on enlarged site faced with Caen
stone in Transitional style, seating 900-1,000,
by T. Emmet 1851-2: nave, aisles, corner pinnacles, E. front 'bold and abbey-like'. (fn. 78)
Attendance 1886: 359 a.m., 254 evg.; 1903: 424
a.m., 480 evg. Large assembly hall at rear for
Sun. sch. 1891. Chapel damaged 1944; svces. in
renovated large assembly hall, seating 300, from
1950. New chapel and adjoining rooms, seating
240 in 1988, by W. B. Attenbrow opened and
reg. 1956. Utd. Ref. ch. from 1972. (fn. 79) Mission in
Conduit (later Rossendale) Street, where Congs.
had sch., seating 300, from 1882. Attendance
1903: 48 a.m., 111 evg.; closed between 1926 and
1932. (fn. 80)
Trinity chapel, Devonshire Road. (fn. 81) Mtg.
formed by seceders from Well Street chapel
(above). Bldg., seating c. 1,500 and inc. 2 schoolrooms, at end of East Pl., later NE. corner of
Devonshire (later Brenthouse) and Stanley (later
Frampton Pk.) rds. by Mat. Habershon 1832: (fn. 82)
square-headed windows, stone-faced front with
projecting pediment and Ionic pilasters. (fn. 83) Millenarian min. 1843. Attendance 1886: 510 a.m.,
248 evg.; 1903: 248 a.m., 250 evg. Closed by
1907. Devonshire hall recorded on site from
1911. (fn. 84)
Hampden chapel, Grove Street (later Lauriston Rd.). (fn. 85) Blt. on W. side of rd. to replace Well
Street chapel. Stock-brick bldg. with roundheaded windows and pedimented front, seating
340 and with schoolrooms beneath, 1847. (fn. 86) Attendance 1851: 65 and 6 Sun. sch. a.m., 29 Sun.
sch. aft., 40 evg. First cong. moved to Stepney
1858. Probably Bapt. by 1863. (fn. 87)
Middleton Road ch., Dalston. (fn. 88) Ch. formed
in disused chapel in Phillip Street, Kingsland
Rd., Shoreditch, 1838. Bldg. of yellow brick
with rusticated stone on N. side of rd. in Dec.
style, seating 1,000, 1847; reg. 1848. Attendance
1851: 774 and 181 Sun. sch. a.m., 330 and 286
Sun. sch. aft., 733 evg.; (fn. 89) 1886: 343 a.m., 403
evg.; 1903: 249 a.m., 233 evg. Reg. again 1860. (fn. 90)
Closed and united with Pownall Rd. ch.,
Shoreditch, c. 1948. United with Clapton Pk.
Utd. Ref. ch. (above) 1975. Bldg. rebuilt behind
street front and used by Pentecostals (below).
Mission in Canal Rd., Shoreditch, seating 100
by 1883, from 1860 to 1898 or later.
Pembury Grove chapel, Lower Clapton. (fn. 91) Ch.
formed by seceders from St. Thos.'s Sq. under
Burder's co-pastor Geo. Thompson. Leased
chapel on N. side of rd. (probably from Bapts.)
1850. Bldg. of brick with stone dressings, seating
330 in 1851: small central pediment above cornice with inscription and porch. (fn. 92) Attendance
1851: 275 and 85 Sun. sch. a.m., 285 evg. (fn. 93)
Meth. by 1886, after Congs. had moved to
Lower Clapton ch. (below).
Lower Clapton ch., Amhurst Road. (fn. 94) Congs.
from Pembury Grove (above) reg. new ch. at
NW. corner of intersection with Dalston Lane
and Pembury Rd. 1864. (fn. 95) Bldg. of Kentish rag
with Box Hill stone dressings in Dec. style,
seating 1,000 by 1894, by Hen. Fuller: clerestory
formed by rose windows, elaborate buttresses,
SE. tower with spire; (fn. 96) adjoining rooms and
sch. to W. Attendance 1886: 310 a.m., 248 evg.;
1903: 421 a.m., 433 evg. Replaced by Downs
Ct. flats (fn. 97) after cong. moved to former Clapton
Presb. ch. (below), seating 400 in 1951, reg.
1936-63. (fn. 98) Mission in Morning Lane, seating
150 by 1881, from 1878 to c. 1926, (fn. 99) when
acquired by Brethren (below). Attendance
1903: 143 a.m., 213 evg. Mission in Castle
Street, Norfolk Rd., seating 150 by 1881; closed
Southgate Road chapel. Ind. chapel adjoining sch. at N. corner of Balmes Rd. reg. 1860-9.
Reg. as Brotherhood ch., on same site, 1897. (fn. 1)
Attendance 1886: 204 a.m., 237 evg.; 1903: 57
a.m., 205 evg. Reg. as Cong. but only sometimes
so described. (fn. 2) Closed between 1935 and 1938. (fn. 3)
Victoria Park tabernacle, South Hackney.
Seceders from Victoria Pk. Approach Rd.,
Bethnal Green, met from 1862 at Scott's music
hall and then in Patriot Sq., Bethnal Green,
before moving to new iron ch. on NW. side of
Wetherell Rd., seating 1,500 before enlargement
with gallery. (fn. 4) New bldg. 1869-70, reg. 1871. (fn. 5)
Attendance 1886: 404 a.m., 442 evg. Closed 1901
on union with Trinity ch., Lauriston Rd. (below). (fn. 6)
Cambridge Heath ch., Mare Street. (fn. 7) Iron
chapel (fn. 8) on E. side of street, S. of Cambridge
Lodge Villas, for ch. formed 1861. Replaced by
ch. reg. 1866. (fn. 9) Bldg. of Kentish rag with Bath
stone dressings, seating 1,200 in 1894, in Dec.
style by Jos. James 1865-6: pinnacled tower with
spire. (fn. 10) Attendance 1886: 296 a.m., 244 evg.;
1903: 253 a.m., 269 evg. Repairs needed 1904,
when membership in decline. (fn. 11) Closed between
1936 and 1938. Orchard mission in hall at no.
179 Well Street, seating 350 in 1894, from 1865;
reg. 1907. (fn. 12) Attendance 1903: 43 a.m., 77 evg.
Closed between 1951 and 1960. Mission in Dove
Row, Shoreditch, seating 350 in 1894, from 1871
to c. 1898. Morley hall built for Sun. schs. (fn. 13)
Shrubland Road ch., London Fields. (fn. 14) Ch.
formed 1870. Took over Dalston (Eng.) Presb.
ch. on S. side of rd. but did not reg. bldg. for
Congs. until 1894. (fn. 15) Seating for 500 in 1894, 350
by 1910; Attendance 1886: 133 a.m., 226 evg.;
1903: 63 a.m., 74 evg. United with Trinity ch.,
Lauriston Rd., 1971. Bldg. acquired by Evangelical and Reformed ch. (fn. 16)
South Hackney or Bethany ch., Victoria Park
Road. (fn. 17) Formed 1871 as South Hackney ch. In
Cadogan Terr. 1880, 1883 when supplied by
students from Hackney Coll. (fn. 18) Moved to former
Bapt. Park chapel (below) at corner of Victoria
Pk. and Homer rds. Bldg., seating 450 in 1894,
reg. 1893. (fn. 19) Attendance 1886: 129 a.m., 129 evg.;
1903: 65 a.m., 94 evg. Ch. and Bethany hall
recorded 1940, hall alone c. 1946-8. (fn. 20) Disused
yellow-brick bldg. survived 1988.
Rectory Road. (fn. 21)
Trinity Introductory ch.,
often listed under Stoke Newington, formed
from Harecourt chapel, Islington, as Paedobaptist ch. in Walford Rd., S. Hornsey, 1865. (fn. 22)
Moved to temp. ch. on site later bought from
Tyssen est. in SE. angle of Rectory and Evering
rds., opened and reg. as Cong. ch. 1882. Bldg.,
seating 1,200 in 1894, by R. A. Lewcock, built
and reg. 1887. (fn. 23) Attendance 1886: 374 a.m., 384
evg.; 1903: 346 a.m., 427 evg. Bombed 1940.
New brown-brick bldg. with pantiled roof, seating c. 180, by Harrison & Stevens 1954-5. Utd.
Ref. ch. from 1972. (fn. 24) Mission called Christian
Institute in Hoxton Market, Shoreditch, seating
150 in 1894, from 1886; 'moribund' 1950, closed
Stamford Hill ch. (fn. 25) Site on E. side of Stamford Hill in S. angle with Portland Ave. bought
by Thos. Kelsey, worshipper at Harecourt ch.,
Islington. Imposing building (fn. 26) of Kentish rag
with stone dressings in Dec. style, seating 1,200,
adjoining lecture hall to E., by J. Tarring & Son
1869-71: semicircular apse, tall W. tower and
spire. Opened 1871, reg. 1872. (fn. 27) Attendance
1886: 615 a.m., 446 evg.; 1903, when Sun. total
larger than that at any other place of worship in
Hackney except Salvation Army's Congress
Hall: 1,119 a.m., 1,336 evg. Old ch. demol. 1966.
Lecture hall adapted for svces. 1965; seated c.
200 in 1988. (fn. 28) Utd. Ref. ch. from 1972. (fn. 29) Mission
in St. Ann's Rd., Tottenham, from 1878, seating
150 in 1894. (fn. 30)
Homerton Evangelical hall, no. 116 High
Street, Homerton, reg. by Congs. 1878-96. (fn. 31)
Chatsworth Road tabernacle. Bldg. on W.
side at angle with Elderfield Rd. reg. by Congs.
1887. (fn. 32) Attendance 1886: 350 a.m., 447 evg.
Bapt. by 1894 (below).
Trintiy ch., Lauriston Road. (fn. 33) Mtg. of 1823
moved from Hanbury Street, Mile End New
Town, to bldg. of red brick with stone dressings
in Tudor style, seating 800 in 1926, adjoining
halls to W. in SW. angle with Rutland Rd. 1901:
two copper spirelets above main doorways in
Lauriston Rd. Dated and reg. 1901, (fn. 34) but inc.
older foundation stone of 1861 (? from Victoria
Pk. tabernacle). Attendance 1903: 231 a.m., 357
evg. From 1972 Utd. Ref. ch. (fn. 35) Closed 1988. (fn. 36)
From late 18th cent. Inds. used
various premises apparently briefly. Room in
Eliz. Farrow's ho. 'at Stoke Newington', 1791. (fn. 37)
Room in Wm. Hartwell's ho., Shacklewell,
1793. (fn. 38) Bldg. in Shore Pl., by Jas. Thurgood,
min. (possibly later used by Bapts.), 1794. (fn. 39) Hall
adjoining Chas. Buck's ho. 1797. (fn. 40) John
Knight's ho. at Clapton, 1799. (fn. 41) Premises were
later reg. specifically for Inds. Ho. in Brewhouse
Lane, 1812. (fn. 42) John Gardner's ho., Stoke Newington High Street, 1820. (fn. 43) Mr. Hemsley's ho.,
no. 27 Charles Street, Dalston, 1825. (fn. 44) Thos.
Geo. Williams's ho., no. 3 Orchard Street,
1828. (fn. 45) Jas. Alloway's ho., no. 8 Sheep Lane,
Lond. Fields, 1834. (fn. 46) No. 4 Orchard Street,
1834. (fn. 47) No. 5 Morning Lane, 1834. (fn. 48) Rob. Butt's
room, Church Street, 1837. (fn. 49) No. 4 High Hill
Ferry, 1839. (fn. 50) 'New chapel', Upper Clapton
(possibly repeat reg. of Upper Clapton Cong.
ch., above), 1840. (fn. 51) No. 3 Perseverance Row,
Sanford Lane, W. Hackney, 1842. (fn. 52) No. 1 Stratford Pl., Richmond Rd., 1843. (fn. 53) Other premises
were reg. for unspecified Protestant dissenters,
perhaps Inds. Wm. Everett's ho. at Kingsland,
1811. (fn. 54) Ho. in Paradise Row, Church Street,
1816. (fn. 55) Ho. near Bath Pl., Dalston, 1820. (fn. 56) Dye
factory at High Hill Ferry, 1821. (fn. 57) No. 2 Wick
Street, 1825. (fn. 58) No. 2 Buck Bldgs., Morning
Lane, 1827. (fn. 59) Thos. Geo. Williams's premises,
Mare Street, 1827. (fn. 60) Hos. in Coldbath Lane
(later Kenmure Rd.), Jerusalem Sq., Sheep
Lane, and Bennett's Yard, Well Street, 1829. (fn. 61)
Strawberry Cottage, Kates Lane (later Brooke
Rd.), Clapton, 1830. (fn. 62) No. 5 Wick Street and no.
3 Hackney Wick, 1832. (fn. 63) No. 11 Beauvoir Terr.,
Kingsland Rd., 1846, and no. 28, 1847. (fn. 64) Sch.
in Manor Rd., S. Hackney, 1851. (fn. 65)
Mare Street. (fn. 66)
Aft. mtgs. of worshippers from Little Prescot Street, Whitechapel, (fn. 67)
under John Rance at small ho. in Shore Pl. 1796.
Ch. formed with Rance, ordained at St. Thos.'s
Sq. Ind. chapel, as first pastor 1798. New ch. on
W. side of Mare Street N. of Flying Horse Yd.
(later Exmouth Pl.) 1812. (fn. 68) Plain bldg., apparently rendered, with two rows of windows, (fn. 69)
seating 1,150 by 1851 after addition of galleries.
'Well filled' 1830. Attendance 1851: 800 and 300
Sun. sch. a.m., 300 and 500 Sun. sch. aft., 850
and 300 Sun. sch. evg. (fn. 70) F. A. Cox (d. 1853),
instrumental in founding Bapt. Mag. and Lond.
Univ., (fn. 71) was pastor from 1811. After fire of 1854,
new stone-faced ch. in Classical style, seating
1,200, by W. G. and E. Habershon built 1856:
round-headed windows for galleries over
square-headed windows, projecting cornice,
Tuscan pillared pediment over main entrance. (fn. 72)
Reg. by Particular Bapts. 1858. (fn. 73) Attendance
1886: 462 a.m., 568 evg.; 1903: 311 a.m., 537
evg. Supported Bapt. Union and in Lond. Bapt.
Soc. 1928. (fn. 74) Ch. bombed 1940, when svces. held
in St. Andrew's hall, Well Street, and 1944;
repaired but damaged again 1945, when svces.
moved to Congs.' Orchard mission, Well Street;
demol. after war. Replaced by Frampton Pk. Rd.
Homerton Row chapel. (fn. 75) Mtgs. under Thos.
Eason 1817. Ch. formed 1820. Bldg. on S. side
of Homerton Row opened and reg. 1822; (fn. 76) seating for 350 in 1851. Attendance 1851: 225 and
58 Sun. sch. a.m., 40 aft., 195 evg.; (fn. 77) 1886: 69
a.m., 51 evg.; 1903: 121 a.m., 117 evg. In
Metropolitan Assoc. of Strict Bapt. Chs. 1928.
Closed between 1959 and 1964. (fn. 78)
Shacklewell chapel. (fn. 79) Bldg. of 1822 in Wellington Pl., Wellington (later Shacklewell) Rd.,
vested in trustees 1827. New bldg., seating 564,
1843-4, when min. was F. A. Cox of Mare Street
ch. (fn. 80) Attendance 1851 (estimated average): 160
a.m., 90 aft., 180 evg.; (fn. 81) 1886: 57 a.m., 61 evg.
Merged with Particular Bapt. former Devonshire Sq. ch. in Stoke Newington Rd., S.
Hornsey, 1884. (fn. 82)
Pembury Grove chapel, Lower Clapton, reg. by
Hen. Robinson of Grove Cottage, Clarence Rd.,
1848. Probably bldg. leased to Meths. 1850. (fn. 83)
West (later Elsdale) Street chapel. Seceders
from Mare Street under W. Emmet had ch. in
West Street 1851. (fn. 84)
Hockley Street chapel. Mtg. in former street
N. of Durham Grove off Morning Lane recorded 1862-8. (fn. 85) Perhaps same as Salem chapel,
Hockley Street, reg. by Particular Bapts. 1875 (fn. 86)
and dissolved 1880. (fn. 87)
Hampden chapel, Grove Street (later Lauriston Rd.). Bapt. mtg. said to have been formed
1863 and to have gone by 1883 (fn. 88) was probably
group which took over Congs.' Hampden
chapel, which name it later adopted. (fn. 89) Attendance 1886: 156 a.m., 147 evg.; 1903: 114 a.m.,
116 evg. Closed 1927, (fn. 90) when sold to Assemblies
of God. (fn. 91)
Chatsworth tabernacle, Chatsworth Rd.,
Lower Clapton. (fn. 92) Mtg. formed as Kingsland
tabernacle 1864. New bldg. at corner of Enfield
Rd. 1873. Moved to bldg. on W. side of
Chatsworth Rd. at angle with Rushmore Rd.
1877, then to former Cong. ch. at angle with
Elderfield Rd. reg. by Bapts. 1894. (fn. 93) Bldg. of
brick with stone dressings, seating 800 in 1928:
round-headed windows, octagonal corner tower
with bellcot, halls beneath. (fn. 94) Attendance 1886:
103 a.m., 61 evg.; 1903: 296 a.m., 313 evg. Left
Metropolitan Assoc. of Strict Bapt. Chs. by
1905; in no assoc. 1909; in Lond. Bapt. Soc.
1928. Closed c. 1948. (fn. 95)
Park chapel, Victoria Park Rd. Mtg. formed
at St. Thos.'s hall 1864 moved to iron chapel
probably replaced by bldg. at W. corner of
Homer Rd. marked as Bapt. 1870. (fn. 96) Later South
Hackney Cong. ch. (above).
Forest Road chapel, Dalston. Svces. in
schoolroom in Grange Rd. before ch. formed in
Forest Rd. 1865. Bldg. on N. side of rd. between
Woodland and Holly streets. Attendance 1886:
87 a.m., 92 p.m. Served as Holy Trinity par.
room by 1898. (fn. 97)
Svces. in Albion hall,
Dalston, (fn. 98) 1866. New bldg. in Downham Rd.
1871. Later moved to Blomfield Street. In Lond.
Bapt. Assoc. Closed c. 1880. (fn. 99)
Ashwin Street ch., Dalston Junction. (fn. 1) Svces.
in Luxembourg hall, N. end of street, 1868. (fn. 2)
New bldg. on opposite side, seating 1,250 in
1928, 1871; reg. 1873. (fn. 3) Attendances largest of all
Hackney Bapt. chs. 1886: 693 a.m., 770 evg.;
1903: 532 a.m., 715 evg. Supported Bapt. Union
and in Lond. Bapt. Assoc. 1928. Became Shiloh
Pentecostal ch. (below).
Speldhurst Road chapel, South Hackney.
Mtgs. in schoolroom on W. side of rd. winter
1867-8. New bldg., seating c. 300, 1869. In
Metropolitan Assoc. of Strict Bapt. Chs. Bought
by Chas. W. Banks 1873. Closed c. 1886. (fn. 4) Bldg.
presumably acquired by Ch. of Martin Luther. (fn. 5)
Downs chapel, Lower Clapton. (fn. 6) Open membership ch. (fn. 7) formed by worshippers at Mare
Street and reg. 1869. Site intended to be in
Avenue Rd. (later Midhurst Way) but moved to
corner of Downs and Queen's Down (later
Queensdown) rds. in expectation that rly. station
wd. be opened at NE. corner of Hackney Downs.
Bldg. of red brick with black- and white-brick
bands and Bath stone dressings and roundheaded windows, seating 1,008 in 1928, by
Morton M. Glover 1868-9: W. corner turrets
and rose window over double porch; halls beneath and to E. (fn. 8) Attendance 1886: 480 a.m., 432
evg.; 1903: 540 a.m., 651 evg. Supported Bapt.
Union and in Lond. Bapt. Assoc. 1928. Mission
in Rendlesham Rooms, at corner of Heatherley
and Landfield streets, from 1872. Attendance
1903: 74 a.m., 145 evg.; closed on expiry of lease
by 1923. (fn. 9) Mission in Waterloo Rooms, Prout
Rd., seating 80 in 1928, from 1877. Attendance
1903: 36 a.m., 68 evg.; closed after 1929.
Albion hall, Dalston, (fn. 10) used by Bapts. who
moved to Blomfield Street (above) and by Strict
Bapts. who celebrated anniversary in hall 1875. (fn. 11)
Mtg. begun nearby in Mead
Pl. 1879. Belonged to Old Bapt. Union 1928. (fn. 12)
Perhaps used Ram's sch., Retreat Pl., reg. 1900,
although registration was cancelled 1925. (fn. 13)
Mallard Street chapel, Hackney Wick.
Bldg. at S. corner of Percy Terr. Attendance
1886: 17 evg.; 1903, when called Bethsaida, 23
evg. Closed c. 1911. (fn. 14)
Norfolk (later Cecilia) Road.
(probably in Shacklewell Green mission hall
recorded 1894) (fn. 15) formed by 1902. Attendance
1903: 40 a.m., 42 evg. Belonged to Old Bapt.
Union. Closed between 1914 and 1928. (fn. 16)
Loddiges Road chapel. Bapt. ch. (perhaps
Christian ch. recorded 1894 and Loddiges Rd.
chapel reg. by Independents 1900) (fn. 17) recorded by
1902. (fn. 18) Closed c. 1947. (fn. 19)
Frampton Park Road ch. Ch. on W. side of
Frampton Pk. Rd., reg. as successor to Mare
Street ch. 1955. Bldg. of brown brick, seating
320 and with adjoining halls, by Spalding, Myers & Attenbrow 1953-4; opened 1956. (fn. 20)
Barnabas Road ch. Strict Bapts. reg. ch. at
corner of Barnabas Rd. and Daley Street 1963. (fn. 21)
Bldg. of pale grey brick in modern style, with
small clock tower and inc. hall.
From early 19th cent. Bapts. reg.
several premises. Bldg. called Stoke Newington
chapel, behind no. 16 High Street, 1812. (fn. 22) Thos.
Frankland's ho. near Marsh Gate, Lower
Homerton, and David Ramsay's ho., no. 6
Homerton Row, 1817. (fn. 23) John Lee's ho. at Hackney Wick and Rob. Fletcher's schoolroom in
Bridge Street, Homerton, 1819. (fn. 24) Hen. Simonds's ho., no. 3 Down Cottage, Shacklewell,
1836. (fn. 25) Schoolrooms at no. 5 Wick Street, 1840,
and in Charles Street, Dalston, 1844. (fn. 26) No. 1
Jerusalem Sq. 1845. (fn. 27) Room at no. 8 Homerton
Terr. 1848. (fn. 28)
formed Wes. mtg. at ho. in Grove Lane (fn. 29) moved
to mtg. place in Shore Pl. vacated by Bapts.
1812. (fn. 30) Rent paid by members of City Rd.
chapel. New smaller bldg. on N. side of Pleasant
Pl. (later Paragon Rd.) c. 1816, enlarged 1825,
seating c. 400 in 1843. Replaced by Richmond
Rd. chapel (below) and later used by Brethren
(below) as Providence chapel.
Stoke Newington High Street. (fn. 31)
chapel on E. side of street N. of Tyssen Rd. built
and reg. 1816. (fn. 32) Enlarged c. every 7 years, seating
c. 500 by 1843 and 640 by 1851. (fn. 33) Attendance
1851: 334 and 94 Sun. sch. a.m., 342 evg. Rebuilt
in brick with stone dressings in vaguely Romanesque style 1851: three gable ends and two
turrets on street front, which was largely obscured until removal of cottages and
enlargement of ch. to seat 1,000 by T. Scott
1875. (fn. 34) Attendance 1886: 376 a.m., 427 evg.;
1903: 351 a.m., 461 evg. Again rebuilt as plain
red-brick bldg. with hall behind and reopened
1958. Seating for 200 in 1970. (fn. 35)
Baker's Row, Hackney Wick. Calvinistic dissenters, probably Meths., reg. room in Wm.
Edwards's ho. 1817. (fn. 36)
Kates Lane (later Brook Street, then
Wes. chapel built 1833, seating 120 in 1851 when sold by Meths. to
'moderate Calvinists'. (fn. 37)
Hope Street, no. 2 reg. by 'Revivalist Methodists' 1834. (fn. 38)
Roseberry Place, Dalston. Wes. chapel built
and reg. 1844, seating 226 by 1851. Attendance
1851: 130 and 30 Sun. sch. a.m., 35 aft., 158
evg. (fn. 39) Reg. again 1854-61. (fn. 40) Demol. for rly. 1865
and replaced by Mayfield Terr. chapel (below). (fn. 41)
Site leased from St. Thos.'s
hosp. at E. end of later Richmond Rd., on S.
side, 1846. Wes. chapel to replace one in Pleasant
Pl., seating 1,110 in 1851, built and reg. 1846. (fn. 42)
Bldg. of brick with stone dressings; rectangular
plan, tall square-headed windows, pedimented
street front with Ionic pillars flanking doorway. (fn. 43)
Attendance 1851: 350 and 64 Sun. sch. a.m., 45
aft., 400 evg. Reg. again 1854. (fn. 44) Attendance
1886: 524 a.m., 475 evg.; 1903: 235 a.m., 294
evg. Closed 1925 and leased to Central Hackney
synagogue on opening of Hackney Central hall,
Mare Street (below). (fn. 45)
Lecture room reg. by Primitive
Meths. 1859-66. (fn. 46)
Northwold Road, Stoke Newington Common. Primitive Meths. reg. chapel on S. side of
rd. 1861 and again, perhaps after rebuilding,
1895-1954. (fn. 47) Street front of red brick with
stone dressings in Gothic style, masking yellowbrick octagon beneath skylight. (fn. 48) Attendance
1886:85 a.m., 73 evg.; 1903: 258 a.m., 339 evg. Reg.
as Northwold Rd. synagogue 1955. (fn. 49)
Primitive Meths. had chapel
at SE. corner of Lond. Fields, W. of Exmouth
Pl., from 1863, (fn. 50) reg. 1865. (fn. 51) Attendance 1886:
106 a.m., 74 evg.; 1903: 60 a.m., 68 evg. Also
held open-air svces. 1872. Called Jubilee chapel
1873. (fn. 52) Closed between 1935 and 1938. (fn. 53)
ch. (fn. 54) Wes. ch. founded from
Richmond Rd. on W. side of Lower Clapton Rd.
N. of corner of Downs Rd., reg. 1865. (fn. 55) Bldg.
of ragstone with stone dressings in Dec. style,
seating 1,000, 1863-5; not oriented; apse, pinnacled W. tower with tall spire over central porch
facing Lower Clapton Rd. (fn. 56) Attendance 1886:
372 a.m., 325 evg.; 1903: 326 a.m., 328 evg.
Closed 1934 and later demol. Replaced by lecture hall (later sch.) in Downs Rd., remodelled
as ch. and reg. 1934. (fn. 57) Bldg. of stone faced in
Dec. style, with bellcot, built by 1880. Damaged
1940 and reopened 1949. Seating for 160 in
1970. (fn. 58)
Mayfield Terrace, Dalston. (fn. 59) Wes. reg.
chapel on NW. corner of Mayfield and Richmond rds. to replace Roseberry Pl. chapel
1865. (fn. 60) Bldg. in Dec. style, seating 1,000, 1865. (fn. 61)
Attendance 1886: 374 a.m., 404 evg.; 1903: 225
a.m., 593 evg. Bombed 1945. Replaced on same
site by Dalston, Richmond Rd., ch. (reg. as
Dalston Meth. mission at no. 15 in 1954) (fn. 62)
1961. (fn. 63) Seated 203 in 1970. (fn. 64) Demol. by 1979. (fn. 65)
Pembury Grove, Lower Clapton. Utd. Meth.
Free Ch. reg. bldg., acquired from Congs.,
1866-1954. (fn. 66) Attendance 1886: 163 a.m., 134
evg.; 1903: 293 a.m., 268 evg. Bombed in Second
World War and later closed. (fn. 67)
Church Road, Homerton. Wes. ch. on W. side
of Church (later Barnabas) Rd. founded by 1868.
Attendance 1903: 118 a.m., 109 evg. Reg. as
Homerton Meth. mission 1937. Damaged in
Second World War and closed. (fn. 68)
Wes. reg. chapel at W. corner
of Queen Anne Rd. 1872. (fn. 69) Bldg., seating 1,000,
in Dec. style; octagonal corner turret with
spirelet. (fn. 70) Attendance 1886, largest of all Hackney
Meth. chs.: 579 a.m., 518 evg.; 1903: 395 a.m.,
373 p.m. Closed and probably demol. by 1946. (fn. 71)
Daintry Street, Hackney Wick. Chapel on
E. side existed by 1879, reg. by Wes. Meths.
1886. Closely associated with Cassland Rd. Perhaps was ch. sometimes said to be in Chapman
Road. Attendance 1903: 97 a.m., 150 evg. Closed
1951. (fn. 72)
Clapton Park tabernacle, Blurton Rd. (fn. 73)
Primitive Meths. started mission when Thos.
Jackson took over Theatre Royal, Glenarm Rd.,
reg. 1884-96. (fn. 74) Tabernacle on S. side of Blurton
Rd. E. of Chatsworth Rd. opened 1885 and reg.
1887-1958. (fn. 75) Bldg. of ragstone with stone dressings: round-headed windows, small porch with
Ionic pillars. (fn. 76) Attendance 1886: 204 a.m., 243
evg.; 1903: 137 a.m., 170 evg. Remained headquarters of mission, which had holiday home at
Southend (Essex) and later at Herne Bay (Kent),
until damaged in Second World War. Replaced
by Chatsworth Rd. ch. (below) 1958. Former
tabernacle became St. Jude's Rom. Cath. ch. (fn. 77)
Brookfield Road, South Hackney. Primitive
Meths. in Brookfield Rd. by 1886 (fn. 78) reg. Tyndale
Memorial ch. on W. side of rd. 1888-1941. (fn. 79)
Attendance 1886: 112 a.m., 124 evg.; 1903: 74
a.m., 153 evg. Closed c. 1951. (fn. 80) Replaced by
Tyndale Ct. flats.
Southwold Road, Upper Clapton. Primitive
Meths. reg. chapel at W. corner of Theydon Rd.
1888-1951. (fn. 81) Attendance 1903: 59 a.m., 46 evg.
Closed c. 1951. (fn. 82)
Olinda Road, Stamford Hill. Primitive
Meths. had mission hall on S. side of rd. by 1898,
perhaps Beulah hall there by 1894. (fn. 83) Attendance
1903: 88 a.m., 49 p.m. Possibly replaced by
Ravensdale Rd. ch. (below).
Ravensdale Road, Stamford Hill. Primitive
Meths. reg. chapel on S. side of rd. 1905. (fn. 84) New
bldg. on N. side of rd., red-brick with stone
dressings, with Perp. style windows and short
tower, 1925; (fn. 85) reg. 1927. (fn. 86) Seated 300 in 1970. (fn. 87)
Hackney Central Hall, Mare Street. (fn. 88) Site
on E. side, between Salvation Army hall and
central libr., secured 1909 to replace Richmond
Rd. ch. Bldg. of three storeys and seven bays,
faced in yellow stone, with cornice and Ionic
pilasters, 1924-5: headquarters of Hackney mission, inc. hall seating 1,500, three halls for 700
Sun. sch. children, gymnasium, ground-floor
shops; reg. 1925. (fn. 89) Memorial chapel for silver
jubilee opened on ground floor 1950. Seating for
350 in 1970. (fn. 90) Sold to Hackney L.B. 1979 but 4
shops retained by mission and converted into
place of worship 1982. (fn. 91)
Chatsworth Road, Clapton Pk. Ch. reg. as
new headquarters of Clapton Meth. Union
1958. (fn. 92) Bldg. S. of Elderfield Rd., yellow-brick
and concrete, seating 200 in 1970. (fn. 93)
UNITARIANS. (fn. 94)
Growing Unitarianism of
Old Gravel Pit mtg. formally acknowledged
after move under Rob. Aspland (d. 1845) to New
Gravel Pit chapel on E. side of Paradise Pl. (later
S. part of Chatham Pl.). Octagonal bldg. in
Gothic style, 'naked and angular', 1809; repaired
1824, when svces. held in Mermaid inn, and
seated 500 in 1851. Attendance 1851: 400 and
28 Sun. sch. a.m., 150 and 28 Sun. sch. evg. (fn. 95)
Rebuilt in Gothic style and reg. 1858. (fn. 96) Bldg. of
ragstone with stone dressings in Dec. style:
chancel, N. and S. transepts, SW. spirelet. (fn. 97)
Attendance 1886: 93 a.m., 71 evg.; 1903: 54 a.m.,
57 evg. Aspland hall, by R. P. Jones, opened
1913. Ch. damaged 1940, renovated hall used for
worship 1946, ch. reopened under part-time
min. 1953. Tercentenary of Wm. Bates's mtg.
celebrated 1966 but ch. closed 1969 and all
bldgs. demol. by G.L.C. 1970. Char. Com.
Scheme established fund from sale proceeds and
trust funds, used for maintenance of Unitarian
chapel at Newington Green. (fn. 98) Worshippers inc.
economist David Ricardo (d. 1823), theologian
Chas. Hennell (d. 1850), and radical politician
Daniel Whittle Harvey (d. 1863), first commissioner of Metropolitan Police, who was buried
in churchyd. (fn. 99) John Boucher (d. 1878) min.
1848-53; Rob. Aspland's s. Rob. Brook Aspland
(d. 1869), (fn. 1) min. from 1858, was 'practically the
head of Eng. Unitarianism'.
St. Thomas's Square. Group
probably mtg. at Ellis's rooms, between nos. 183
and 185 Well Street, 1847 had moved to schoolroom in St. Thos.'s Sq. by 1854. Members inc.
Jas. van Sommer, who started Brethren's journal
Missionary Reporter, his brother-in-law Wm.
Berger, and zoologist Phil. Hen. Gosse (d. 1888).
'Open' or independent, rather than 'exclusive,'
Brethren after schism of 1848. (fn. 2) Moved to Providence chapel (below).
Providence chapel, originally
Pleasant Pl. Meth. chapel and by 1851 Ind.
Calvinist, (fn. 3) was acquired on lease by Berger
1850s (fn. 4) and reg. 1866. (fn. 5) Thereafter known as
Paragon Rd. mtg. room. Attendance more than
200 in 1870s; 1903: 66 a.m., 93 evg. Compulsorily bought by Post Office to make way for
telephone exchange 1926. (fn. 6) Paragon gospel hall,
Morning Lane (former Cong. Old Gravel Pit
chapel, used as undenominational mission from
1874), renamed by Brethren and reg. 1926. (fn. 7)
Damaged in Second World War, whereupon
mtgs. held in elder's ho. until new Paragon hall
(later chapel) in Glyn Rd. was reg. 1952. (fn. 8)
Clapton hall, replacing iron hall of 1867, paid
for by John Morley and opened on E. side of
Alkham Rd. 1880. Among largest of all Brethren's halls, with more than 700 members 1888. (fn. 9)
Reg. from 1891. (fn. 10) Attendance 1903: 286 a.m.,
Blurton hall, (fn. 11) N. side of Blurton Rd. near
corner of Chatsworth Rd., used by 1884. Attendance 1903: 123 a.m., 95 evg. Normally listed as
used by Brethren, before and after its reg. by
undesignated Christians 1965. (fn. 12)
Downham Road hall, N. side at no. 68, used
by 1894. Attendance 1903: 63 a.m., 77 evg.
Served as Meth. mission room 1907 after Brethren moved to Bedford hall, no. 54 at corner of
Mortimer Rd., which closed c. 1952.
Twemlow Terrace, Lond. Fields. Mission
room at no. 6 (later no. 49A Westgate Street)
used by 1894. Attendance 1903: 26 a.m., 29 evg.
Closed c. 1916.
London Fields gospel hall, NW. corner of
Lond. Fields, reg. by Bethesda mission 1889-97
and as undenominational 1897-1913. (fn. 13) Called
West Side gospel hall 1903, when cong. described as Brethren. Attendance 1903: 28 a.m.,
27 evg. Later served as League of Helpers' hall. (fn. 14)
Tower (later Martello) gospel hall, E. side
of Lond. Fields, used c. 1911-1920. Cong. described as Brethren 1914. (fn. 15)
Ferry gospel hall, Little Hill, Upper Clapton.
Attendance 1903: 96 evg. Listed as used by
Brethren 1914 (fn. 16) and as undenominational by
1934. Closed c. 1948.
Buckingham Road, Kingsland. Room at rear
of no. 27 reg. 1909-12 and again, after replacement by room at rear of no. 6 Kingsland Green
1912-13, 1913-14. (fn. 17) Replaced by room at no.
36A Stamford Hill 1914-41. (fn. 18)
Maberly hall, Ball's Pond Rd. Former Cong.
chapel, in Islington until 1900, (fn. 19) reg. by Brethren 1922-52. (fn. 20) Replaced by Maberly (probably
former Lond. City mission) hall, Crossway, reg.
1952-86. (fn. 21)
FREE ENGLISH CHURCH.
Albion hall, W.
side of Albion Sq., Dalston, reg. by 'members
of the Free Ch.' 1859 and by 'English Free Ch.'
1861. (fn. 22) Sect was presumably Free Ch. of Eng.,
which used slightly amended Bk. of Common
Prayer and whose bp. had ch. at Teddington. (fn. 23)
Albion hall was Bapt. by 1875. (fn. 24)
Christ Church, near the Triangle, Cambridge Heath, reg. 1861, disused by 1866. (fn. 25)
Holy Trinity ch., the Triangle, Mare Street,
reg. 1864, closed between 1880 and 1884. (fn. 26)
Bldg. occupied by Chas.
Geary, no. 6 Clarke's Terr., Pratt's Lane (later
Glyn Rd.), reg. 1878-96. (fn. 27)
St. Andrew's ch., Chatsworth Rd., reg. by
'reformed Episcopal Ch.' 1892-4. (fn. 28)
Christ's mission ch., Rushmore Rd., reg. by
'Reformed Ch. of Eng.' 1894-1913. (fn. 29)
Dalston. No. 1 Colvestone Cres. reg. 1900-
13. (fn. 30)
St. Andrew's ch., Robinson's Retreat, Retreat
Pl., reg. 1934-7. (fn. 31)
ch. built on Rhodes land on S. side of Shrubland
Rd. 1858, reg. by Presb. Ch. of Eng. 1863. (fn. 32)
Cong. by 1871. Bldg., with lancet windows and
spirelet, acquired by Evangelical and Reformed
Ch. c. 1970. (fn. 33)
Downs Park Road ch., Lower Clapton. Presb.
Ch. of Eng. reg. ch. at corner of Cricketfield Rd.
1872 and 1877-1936. (fn. 34) Bldg. of Kentish rag with
stone dressings in Dec. style, seating 630 in
1872, begun 1863: (fn. 35) apsidal chancel, NE. and
SE. chapels, N. transept over hall, aisled and
clerestoreyed nave, S. porch, pinnacled SW.
tower with spire. (fn. 36) Attendance 1886: 111 a.m.,
60 evg.; 1903: 114 a.m., 143 evg. Closed and
reopened for Lower Clapton Cong. ch. 1936.
Later used by New Testament Ch. of God. (fn. 37)
Albion Presb. ch. (formerly at Albion ch.,
Lond. Wall) advertised svces. at St. Thos.'s hall,
E. side of St. Thos.'s Rd., 1875. (fn. 38) Presb. chapel
and ch. ho., recorded 1894, (fn. 39) presumably replaced by St. Thos.'s Sq. ch. (below).
St. Thomas's Square. Presb. Ch. of Eng. reg.
former Cong. ch. 1896-1912. (fn. 40) Attendance 1903:
67 a.m., 83 evg. Bldg. used as cinema 1913. (fn. 41)
lecture hall reg. 1854-66. (fn. 42)
John Street chapel, Shacklewell, reg. 1856-
96. (fn. 43)
Two Mormon elders from U.S.A. held regular
mtgs. at Chatsworth Rd. Meth. ch. 1977. (fn. 44)
Congress Hall, Linscott Rd., Lower Clapton, opened and reg.
1882. (fn. 45) Bldg., formerly Lond. Orphan Asylum,
adapted by demol. of chapel and excavation of
quadrangle, roofed over to create hall seating
4,700. Wings formed training barracks for 150
men and 150 women cadets, with classrooms on
ground floor, work rooms below, and bedrooms
above. (fn. 46) Attendance largest at any place of worship in Hackney 1903: 914 a.m., 1,635 evg. Huge
crowds at lying-in-state of 'Army Mother' Cath.
Booth 1890 and of founder Gen. Wm. Booth
1912. Renovated 1931. (fn. 47) Most of bldg. demol.
after army's move to Clapton Congress hall
(below) 1970, but facade survived 1988.
Clapton Congress Hall, no. 122 Lower
Clapton Rd. Brown-brick hall and hostel by
Alex. Dalziel, replacing Congress hall, Linscott
Rd., opened 1970. (fn. 48)
People's hall, Havelock Rd., Well
Street, reg. by Christian Mission of army 1880-
97. (fn. 49) Perhaps same as later premises in Havelock
Rd. Attendance 1903: 66 a.m., 72 evg. Citadel
in rd. reg. 1908-41. (fn. 50) Clapton Pk. theatre, Glenarm Rd., reg. 1881. (fn. 51) Probably taken over by
Meths. as forerunner of Clapton Pk. tabernacle
(above). Nisbet Street, Homerton, barracks reg.
1888-96. (fn. 52)
High Street, Homerton, barracks at no. 97 reg.
1889-96. (fn. 53) Perhaps same as later premises in
High Street. Attendance 1903: 48 a.m., 149 evg.
Hall behind no. 98 reg. 1910-80. (fn. 54) Durham
Grove, barracks reg. 1892-1903. (fn. 55) Mallard
Street, Hackney Wick, barracks at no. 34, reg.
1892-1911. (fn. 56) Attendance 1903: 35 a.m., 57 evg.
Replaced by Hedgers Grove hall (below). Kingsland Rd., hall, at no. 383, reg. 1893-1931. (fn. 57)
Havelock Rd., Well Street, hall recorded 1894. (fn. 58)
The Temple, Almack Rd., Lower Clapton.
Bldg. behind Congress hall reg. 1895-1971. (fn. 59)
Attendance 1903: 105 a.m., 124 evg. Ball's Pond
Rd., barracks at no. 83, reg. 1898-1911. (fn. 60) Attendance 1903: 55 a.m., 115 evg. Rossington Street,
Upper Clapton, mission ho. reg. 1903-64. (fn. 61)
Cambridge Heath citadel, Mare Street, reg.
1908-57. Presumably Mare Street premises with
attendance 1903: 249 a.m., 459 evg. Bombed in
Second World War. Yellow-brick and concrete
hall by Wm. Charles opened 1957. (fn. 62) Clapton
Common, no. 4 (formerly W. Springfield) acquired as training coll. c. 1909 and as Army's
maternity home c. 1922-50. (fn. 63) Hedgers Grove,
Cassland Rd., hall reg. 1911-20. (fn. 64) Middlesex
Wharf, Lea Bridge, hall reg. 1925-41. (fn. 65)
Lawrence Bldgs., Northwold Rd., hall reg.
1935. (fn. 66) Florence Booth hall, Valette St., reg.
1947. (fn. 67)
GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH. (fn. 68)
S. side of Alma (later Ritson) Rd., ch., and
minister's ho. paid for by compensation from
Metropolitan Dist. Rly. Co., which had bought
old Hamburg Lutheran ch. in Gt. Trinity Lane
(Lond.). Bldg. of yellow brick with stone dressings in Dec. or 'German Gothic' style, seating
280, by Habershon & Brock 1875-6: (fn. 69) chancel,
N. and S. transepts, aisleless nave; (probably
later) tower with broach spire next to S. transept;
not oriented. Reredos, attributed to Grinling
Gibbons, and organ from old ch. Partly served
adjacent hosp., (fn. 70) whose chapel was converted
into a ward, and other German homes. Attendance 1886: 120 evg.; 1903: 86 a.m., 132 evg.
Hall added to E. wing 1899, enlarged as Luther
hall 1932. Pentecostal 1983. (fn. 71)
AGAPEMONITES. (fn. 72)
Ch. of the Ark of the
Covenant at corner of Rookwood and Castlewood rds., N. end of Clapton common, reg. by
'Ch. of the Son of Man' 1896, (fn. 73) followers of Hen.
Jas. Prince (d. 1899), who had Agapemone or
Abode of Love at Spaxton (Som.). (fn. 74) Bldg. of
Bristol stone with Portland stone dressings and
spire in eclectically ornamental Gothic style,
seating c. 400, by J. Morris of Reading 1893-5:
apse, aisleless nave, W. tower with symbols of 4
Evangelists in place of pinnacles at base of spire,
other sculptures at corners of ch. Ornate interior, with hammerbeam roof, mosaic wall in
sanctuary, and stained glass, illustrating
woman's submission to man, by Wal. Crane.
Scene of enthronement of Prince's successor
John Hugh Smyth-Pigott as second Messiah,
attended by hostile crowd, 1902. Ch., a tribute
to sect's early wealth, probably not long used for
regular svces. (fn. 75) and closed 1920s. Ownership
doubtful 1955. (fn. 76) Acquired by Ancient Cath. Ch.
no. 383 Kingsland Rd., reg. 1944-54. (fn. 77)
Kingdom hall, ground-floor room at no. 72A
Woodland St., Dalston, reg. 1949 and 1972.
Moved to Pitfield St., Shoreditch, 1974 and to
rear of nos. 1-7 Fassett Rd., Dalston, 1974. (fn. 78)
Assemblies of God reg.
Hampden chapel, Lauriston Rd. (formerly
Bapt.) 1928. (fn. 79)
Anglo-West Indian Assembly (later Evangelical Reformed Church) reg. by
Pentecostals at nos. 2, 4, and 6 Sandringham Rd.
1961. Reg. again in Lauriston Rd. 1989. (fn. 80)
Shiloh Pentecostal ch., previously worshipping in St. Luke's ch. hall, Morning Lane, took
lease of Ashwin Street Bapt. ch. 1968 and bought
bldg. 1976. (fn. 81)
United Pentecostal Church of God reg. at
no. 16 Rossendale Street, Clapton, 1977. (fn. 82)
Clapton Pentecostal ch. reg. at no. 171
Rushmore Rd. 1977. (fn. 83)
Hackney Pentecostal Apostolic ch. (formerly Middleton Rd. Cong. ch.) used by W.
Indian Fellowship 1979 (fn. 84) and reg. 'as heretofore
for worship by Pentecostals' 1982. (fn. 85)
Faith Tabernacle Church of God acquired
and began to worship in former German Lutheran ch., Ritson Rd., 1982, (fn. 86) where Ch. had
international headquarters 1989.
Refuge Temple of Churches of Jesus Christ
(Apostolic) reg. room at no. 109 Brooke Rd. 1987. (fn. 87)
reg. bldg. at corner of Albert (later part of
Middleton) and Lansdowne rds., Lond. Fields,
1860-4. (fn. 88)
Christians (unspecified) reg. no. 199 Richmond Rd., Dalston, 1863-96. (fn. 89)
Independents reg. St. Thos.'shall, St. Thos.'s
Rd., 1864. Used by former Anglican curate J.
Allen, on doubtful authority, for svces. like those
at Ram's chapel 1869. (fn. 90)
Evangelical Free Church reg. Christ Ch., at
corner of Amhurst and Rectory rds., 1876-86. (fn. 91)
Church of Martin Luther, Speldhurst
Rd., reg. by Evangelical Christians 1887-1941. (fn. 92)
Attendance 1886: 212 a.m., 351 evg.; 1903: 21 a.m.,
Gospel hall, Wellington Rd., reg. by sect
refusing to be designated 1888-1903. (fn. 93)
Brotherhood church, Southgate Rd., reg.
1897 in Cong. ch. (above) (fn. 94) for mtg. formed 1891
by John Bruce Wallace, who preached mixture
of Christianity and Marxism and opened food
co-operative in Downham Rd. (fn. 95) Continued sometimes to be described as Cong. Closed between
1935 and 1938. (fn. 96)
The Sanctuary, nos. 2 and 4 Cassland Rd., reg.
by 'King's Cross Higher Life Mission' 1892-4.
Reg. again by Christians 1894, closed c. 1902. (fn. 97)
Christian Scientists reg. rooms at no. 43A
Stamford Hill 1910. (fn. 98) Comprised reading room
and, in 1912, Fourth Ch. of Christ Scientist,
both at Stamford hall. Closed c. 1914. (fn. 99)
Christian Tulipeans reg. Tulip hall, on
ground floor of no. 55 King Edward's Rd.,
1941-67. Replaced by Tulip hall on ground floor
of no. 64 Holly Street, Dalston, reg. 1967-85. (fn. 1)
Spiritualists reg. Kenton hall, Kenton Rd.,
1954-64. (fn. 2)
Christians (undesignated) reg. rooms at no.
28 Alcester Cres. as 'Baltic Svce.' 1962. (fn. 3)
New Testement Church of God reg. former
Presb. ch. in Downs Pk. Rd. 1964. (fn. 4)
Evangelical and Reformed Church occupied former Cong. ch. in Shrubland Rd. from c.
1970. (fn. 5)
First Deeper Life Ministry reg. basement at
nos. 101-7 Chatsworth Rd. 1984-6 and, as
Deeper Life Ministries International, no. 1 Sandringham Rd. 1986. (fn. 6)
Church Of The Call Out reg. room at no. 9
Urswick Rd. 1985. (fn. 7)
Chritian Mission hall reg. in Loddiges Rd. (presumably
distinct from later Loddiges Rd. Bapt. chapel)
1874-1906. (fn. 8) Attendance 1886, when described as
'Christian Ch.': 37 a.m., 43 evg.
Christian Mission hall in Stoke Newington
High Street reg. 1875-96. (fn. 9)
Old Gravel Pit chapel, (fn. 10) Chatham Pl., vacated
by Congs. who moved to Clapton Pk. 1871.
Taken for 'new Independent ch.' (fn. 11) under Revd.
J. De Kewer Williams 1874, (fn. 12) reg. 1875, and
again sometimes listed as Cong. (fn. 13) Attendance
1886: 309 a.m., 297 evg. Lease acquired for Old
Gravel Pit undenom. mission, by young men
who formed Sick and Provident soc. 1888 and
reg. mission 1898, (fn. 14) survived until 1969. (fn. 15) Attendance 1903: 245 a.m., 364 evg. On expiry of lease
name was transferred to new bldg. at corner of
Valette Street and Morning Lane, called Old
Gravel Pit hall, 1913. Valette Street hall was
taken for rd. widening and Trelawney est. 1959.
Old Gravel Pit office was opened in new bldg.
in Morning Lane 1961 but mission was liquidated 1971. Chapel in Chatham Pl. survived as part
of factory, with plaque to commemorate Jos.
Priestley 1985. (fn. 16)
Bruce hall, Lyme Grove, reg. for mission
1885-97. Bruce hall, Havelock Rd., reg. by
unsectarian Christians 1897-1906. (fn. 17) Attendance
1903: 241 evg. Bruce hall mission, founded as
Hackney juvenile mission 1871, (fn. 18) was in
Chatham Pl. c. 1908-20.
League of Helpers' hall (formerly Bethesda
mission, then London Fields gospel, hall), (fn. 19)
West Side, Lond. Fields, reg. by undesignated
Christians 1913-46 and by London Fields fellowship 1946-64. (fn. 20)
London City Mission had Kingsland mission
hall on S. side of Castle Street (later Crossway)
by 1880; reg. 1930-52. (fn. 21) Attendance 1903: 71
evg. Also had hall at no. 1 Hassett Rd. by 1888;
reg. 1900-13. (fn. 22) Attendance 1903: 129 evg.
Morley hall, the Triangle, Mare Street, was
reg. for unsectarian worship 1901-25. (fn. 23) Attendance 1903: 175 evg. Welsh svces. also held there
1903, attendance 31 evg.
Kingsland Gospel mission was presumably at
hall, no. 493 Kingsland Rd., reg. 1908-41. (fn. 24)
Attendance 1903: 26 a.m., 39 evg.
Brunswick hall free gospel mission, S. side of
Retreat Pl. Attendance 1903: 23 a.m., 47 evg.
Closed c. 1950. (fn. 25)