OTHER CHRISTIAN CHURCHES
CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH.
on E. side of Mare Street at no. 184, next to
Lady Holles sch. (later part of Cordwainers'
coll.), reg. 1874. (fn. 26) Bldg. of yellow brick with
white-brick and stone dressings in Dec. style:
aisled nave, shallow transepts, fleche over crossing. Attendance 1886: 227 a.m., 168 evg.; 1903:
199 a.m., 213 evg. Still listed as Cath. Apostolic
in 1964 but served as Greek Orthodox ch. of St.
John the Theologian from 1966. (fn. 27)
ANCIENT CATHOLIC CHURCH.
Agapemonite ch. (above) leased 1956 to Harold
Percival Nicholson, who, as abp. of Karim,
perhaps already used it as his cathedral ch. of
the Good Shepherd. Ch., which had premises
in Lower Sloane Street, Chelsea, claimed to be
older than Rom. Cath. Ch. by virtue of descent
from Syrian Orthodox Ch. at Antioch. Spiritual
healing practised in Clapton bldg., where chapel
for animals also opened. (fn. 28)
GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH.
Cath. Apostolic ch. (above) at no. 184 Mare
Street opened as Greek Orthodox ch. of St. John
the Theologian 1966; reg. 1986. Bldg. seated c.
250 in 1988, when ch. also ran Greek language
sch. and Sun. sch. (fn. 29)
||Clarke, Hackney, 28; G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 21971.
P.O. Dir. Lond. (1964); below, Greek Orthodox Ch.
Cathedral Ch. of Good Shepherd (booklet c. 1953 in
H.A.D.), 3-6; H.A.D., H/LD 7/4, p. 194.
||Inf. from priest in charge; G.R.O. Worship Reg. no.
77032; below, educ. (special schs.).