List of maps and other text figures

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T.F.T. Baker (Editor)

Year published

1998

Supporting documents

Pages

13-14

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of maps and other text figures', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. XIII-XIV. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22724 Date accessed: 26 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF MAPS AND OTHER TEXT FIGURES

All maps were drawn by K. J. Wass of the Department of Geography, University College, London, from drafts prepared by T. F. T. Baker, Diane K. Bolton, and Patricia E. C. Croot. Figure 26 was drawn by Pamela Studd. For permission to reproduce material in their possession, thanks are rendered to: the British Library; the Bodleian Library, University of Oxford; City of London, Guildhall Library; London Metropolitan Archives (formerly G.L.R.O.); the Trustees of Lambeth Palace Library; the Mercers' Company; the National Monuments Record (N.M.R.) of the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England); London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Local History Library and Archives (T.H.L.H.L.).

Stepney
Figure Page
1 Ossulstone Hundred. From C. G. Greenwood's Map of Middlesex (1819) 1
2 The Tower Division. From C. G. Greenwood's Map of Middlesex (1819) 2
3 Stepney and Tower Hamlets: Local Government Boundaries. From Cruchley's New Plan (1829) and O.S. Map 6", Mdx. XVII. NE., SE., XVIII. SW. (1894-6 edn.) 4
4 Stepney: Communications. From Cruchley's New Plan (1829), O.S. Map 6", Mdx. NE., SE., XVIII, SW. (1894-6 edn.), and London Transport maps 8
5 Stepney in the Middle Ages. From Gascoyne, Map, Cruchley's New Plan (1829), field survey of c. 1400 (P.R.O., SC 12/11/31), and manorial documents and deeds 14
6 Stepney c. 1550. From Gascoyne, Map, Cruchley's New Plan (1829), survey of 1550 (G.L.R.O., M79/LH/128/1/1), Plan of the Colet estate in the possession of the Mercers' Company (1615), and deeds 16
7 Sir George Philpot's house in 1615. From a plan of the Colet estate in the possession of the Mercers' Company 36
8 Old Chapel in the Isle of Dogs. From the Illustrated London News, 3 Jan. 1857 (copy in T.H.L.H.L.) 73
9 St. Dunstan's Parish Church in 1755. From an engraving by R. Cole in T.H.L.H.L. 78
10 St. Dunstan's Parish Church in 1815. From an engraving, after a drawing by J. E. Neale, in T.H.L.H.L. 79
Bethnal Green
11 Bethnal Green in 1703. From J. Gascoyne's Map of Stepney in British Library (Map Collection) 93
12 Bethnal Green: the Districts in 1826. From Cruchley's New Plan (1826, 1829) 96
13 Bethnal Green Village: Principal Estates. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 98
14 Dog Row: Principal Estates. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 102
15 The West: Principal Estates. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 105
16 Cambridge Heath: Principal Estates. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 111
17 The North-West: Principal Estates. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 113
18 The Centre: Principal Estates. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 116
19 The East: Principal Estates. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 119
20 Nova Scotia Gardens. From the Builder, 1857, p. 226 (copy in London Metropolitan Archives) 126
21 Columbia Market. From the Illustrated London News, 1 May 1869 (copy in Guildhall Library) 127
22 Bethnal Green: Housing Estates c. 1986. From maps in London Metropolitan Archives and T.H.L.H.L. 143
23 St. Bartholomew's Mission Activities c. 1891. From a handbill in Lambeth Palace Library 151
24 Bethnal Green: Estates c. 1700. From deeds and Gascoyne, Map 156
25 Bethnal Green (Old) Town Hall. From the Builder, 17 July 1852 (copy in T.H.L.H.L.) 199
26 London Borough of Tower Hamlets: coat of arms 202
27 St. Bartholomew's Church c. 1840. Photograph, from a lithograph by G. Hawkins, in N.M.R. 219
28 St. James the Less's Church c. 1840. Photograph, from a lithograph by Straker, in N.M.R. 220
29 St. John the Baptist's Church c. 1840. Photograph, from an anonymous engraving, in N.M.R. 222
30 St. Simon Zelotes's Church in 1850. Photograph, from an engraving by Rock & Co, in N.M.R. 224
31 New Nichol Street Ragged School. From the Ragged School Union Magazine, x (1858), p. 9 (shelfmark Per. 26312.e.3) in the Bodleian Library 250


<--Previous:
List of illustrations
Next:-->
Editorial note