LIST OF CHURCHES
Inf. about patrons and clergy is taken from
Clergy List, Crockford, and Lond. Dioc. Year Bk.
(various edns.); inf. about svces. is from Lambeth
Pal. Libr., Fulham Papers, Tait 440 (for 1858),
Mackeson's Guide (1866, 1871, 1899), and H. W.
Harris and M. Bryant, The Churches and Lond.
, 381. Attendance figs. 1886 are from Brit.
Weekly, 12 Nov. 1886, 1903 from Mudie-Smith
Rel. Life, 55. Liturgical directions are used in
all architectural descriptions. Illus. of churches
in T. Roberts, Housing and Ministry. An Experiment
in Use of Ch. Land (1975); photographs in N.M.R.
and T.H.L.H.L. The following additional
abbreviations are used: a.a., average attendance;
aft., afternoon; asst., assistant; consecr., consecrated;
demol., demolished; Eccl. Com., Ecclesiastical
Commissioners; H.C., Holy Communion; min.,
minister; mtg., meeting; Q.A.B., Queen Anne's
Bounty; R., rector; svce., service; temp., temporarily,
temporary; V., vicar.
Episcopal Jews' Chapel, Palestine Pl. Lond.
Soc. for Promoting Christianity among Jews,
founded 1809 with earliest centres in Spitalfields
and Ely Pl., (fn. 94) acquired 99-yr. lease of site between Cambridge Rd. and Russia Lane, part of
Bishop's Hall farm, 1811, (fn. 95) where bldgs. erected
and chapel licensed 1814. No endowment but pew
rents raised c. £170 p.a. 1851. Patron trustees of
soc. Min.'s ho. at no. 1 Palestine Pl. (fn. 96) Chapel for
1,200 (fn. 97) central bldg. of group inc. boys' and girls'
boarding schs., institution (founded 1831) where
converts learnt trades, (fn. 98) and missionaries' college. (fn. 99) Attendance 1851: (fn. 1) 400 adults and 100
children a.m., 50 adults and 100 children aft.,
400 adults and 100 children p.m.; 1886: 378
a.m., 277 p.m. Svces. partly choral by 1881,
thrice on Sun., once on Wed.; H.C. twice a
month, after a.m. and p.m. svces. Aft. svce. and,
by 1890s, weekday H.C. in Hebrew. Well attended lectures in chapel after p.m. svce. (fn. 2) Bldg.
of brick in classical style by Chas. Augustus
Busby and Geo. Maliphant 1814. (fn. 3) Demol. for
Bethnal Green hosp. 1895 although bell turret
survived on nurses' quarters and font and wall
monuments taken to Christ Ch., Spitalfields. (fn. 4)
Holy Trinity, Shoreditch. Dist. assigned
from St. Phil. Bethnal Green, and St. Leonard,
Shoreditch, 1866. Benefice united with St.
Leonard 1926. (fn. 5) Patron Crown alternating with
bp. Benefice valued at £200 p.a. 1871. (fn. 6) Endowed
by Eccl. Com. with £100 p.a. 1889 and £60
1891. (fn. 7) Svces. in hay loft over stable, (fn. 8) presumably
in mission at junction of Club Row and Sclater
St., where all seats free, partly choral with
surplices worn by 1871; 6 svces., inc. 2 H.C., on
Sun., 2 daily svces., 3 sermons a week, and
H.C. on holy days by 1871. (fn. 9) Attendance 1886:
41 a.m., 50 p.m. Art. Osborne Montgomery Jay,
inspiration for Morrison's Child of the Jago, V.
1886-1921. (fn. 10) With grant from Bp. of Lond.'s
Fund and help from Magdalen Coll., Oxf.,
whose missioner he had been in Stepney, Jay
secured site in Orange Ct., Old Nichol St. 1888,
where complex of bldgs. opened 1889: classrooms, club room, hall, and gymnasium, with
ch. above. Adjoining property to E. acquired
'by generosity of Miss Schuster' and model
lodging ho., Trinity Chambers, built there. Ho.
to W. acquired when clearance mooted 1894 and
additional aisle and side chapel built there
1895. (fn. 11) From 1880s 1 or 2 asst. curates. Rich
social life with men's club of 500 members,
women's bible class, Sun. and ragged schs. (fn. 12)
Svces. fully choral and High Ch. by 1889; 8 svces.,
inc. 3 H.C. on Sun., 4 on weekdays. Large
red-brick ch. consecr. 1889. After union with St.
Leonard's, ch. used by 'Hebrew Christians'. (fn. 13)
Became hostel 1938 and conversion to factory
refused 1939. (fn. 14) Bombed in Second World War. (fn. 15)
St. Andrew, Viaduct St. Dist. S. of Bethnal
Green Rd. and W. of Cambridge Rd. assigned
1843. (fn. 16) Patron bp. Grants from Metropolis Ch.
trustees 1843 and Q. A. B. 1854. Endowed by
Eccl. Com. with £224 p.a. 1843, £50 p.a. 1869, and
by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. 1853. (fn. 17) Gross income
£296, with £100 paid to curate by Pastoral Aid
Soc., c. 1858 but incumbent called for ch. rates
and better endowment, partly for Nat. schs. (fn. 18)
Large Gothic Vicarage built between 1858 and
1873, (fn. 19) where bad sanitation led to typhoid
1884. (fn. 20) Chas. Kirton, V. 1864-1904, ill from 1884,
when curates-in-charge inc. Geo. Wyndham
Hamilton Knight-Bruce 1884-6, promoter of
Oxford Ho. and later bp. of Mashonaland, (fn. 21) and
Herb. V. S. Eck. 1897-1902, supporter of Charity
Organisation Soc. (fn. 22) Usually 2 or 3 curates from
1880s, 6 in 1894. Ch. had 900 free sittings 1851,
when attendance 160 adults and 130 Sun. sch.
children a.m., 165 adults and 24 Sun. sch.
children p.m. (fn. 23) Attendance 1886: 144 a.m., 242
p.m.; 1903: 180 a.m., 349 p.m. Three Sun. svces.
1858, a.a. 60-80 a.m., c. 30 aft., 100-150 p.m.;
svce. on Wed. and monthly H.C. with a.a. c. 30
communicants. (fn. 24) Aft. svce. dropped by 1866 and
fully choral svces. introduced 1880s; H.C. on
Sun. and saints' days and 2 daily svces by 1889.
Aided by Metropolitan Dist. Visiting Soc.
and scripture reader who held mtgs. 1858; ch.
supported libr. and bible classes. (fn. 25) By 1890s
charitable income said to be flowing in and ch.
ran mission in Cambridge Rd. (fn. 26) Brick bldg. in
'vague Italian Romanesque' style by Thos. Hen.
Wyatt and David Brandon 1841: 3-sided apse,
tower and stone turret at end of N. aisle. (fn. 27)
Demol. after par. united with St. Mat. 1958 (fn. 28)
St. Barnabas, Grove Rd. Originated as St.
Luke's mission run by St. Simon Zelotes 1865. (fn. 29)
Dist. assigned from St. Jas. the Less and St.
Simon Zelotes 1870. (fn. 30) Patron V. of St. Jas. the
Less for first turn, then bp., from 1904 dean and
chapter of Canterbury. Eccl. Com. granted £200
p.a. 1871; (fn. 31) benefice valued at £300 1881. (fn. 32) Large
brick Vicarage S. of Roman Rd. built 1876. (fn. 33)
Geo. Barnes, V. 1870-1902, also president of
Sion college 1887 and rural dean of Spitalfields
1898-1901. (fn. 34) Svces. fully choral by 1881; 4
svces., inc. 2 H.C., on Sun. and 1 each weekday.
Ch. had 700 free seats. Attendance 1886: 123
a.m., 188 p.m.; 1903: 67 a.m., 212 p.m. Asst.
curate from 1882, 3 in 1911. Most active period
before 1914 saw Nat. sch. in Lanfranc Rd.
rebuilt as St. Barnabas institute and ch. hall
1906. Faculty granted to fit N. end of W. aisle
as chapel for daily svces. 1908. Institute used for
svces. 1942-56. Living suspended 1967, part of
Bow team ministry 1968. Union with St. Paul,
Old Ford, proposed 1975 but after local protests
priest-in-charge appointed for independent par.
1976. By 1985 laity maintained ch. financially,
visited all homes 3 times a year, and used ch. as
mtg. place of numerous clubs. (fn. 35) Bldg., not oriented, former Bapt. chapel (fn. 36) of yellow brick with
bands of red and black in Gothic style by Wm.
Wigginton 1865, consecr. for Ch. of Eng. 1870:
broad chancel, nave, W. gallery, octagonal NW.
tower with spire. After war damage, steeple
removed 1947. Ch. rebuilt by J. A. Lewis,
retaining tower and N. and S. walls without
arcades, 1956-7. (fn. 37)
St. Bartholomew, Essex (later Buckhurst) St.
Dist. assigned 1844 from St. Mat. 1844. Patron
bp., (fn. 38) from 1884 corp. of Lond. (fn. 39) Endowed
by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £80 p.a.
1864, and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. from of St.
Cath. Coleman (Lond.) 1847. Apportioned part
of income of St. Peter upon Cornhill (Lond.)
1885, varied 1916. (fn. 40) Income from St. Cath.
extinguished by capital payment 1949. (fn. 41) Gothic
parsonage built N. of ch. (fn. 42) Ch. had 950 free
sittings 1858, when attendance 300 a.m., 100 aft.,
500 p.m. (fn. 43) Attendance 1886: 120 a.m., 155 p.m.;
1903: 92 a.m., 118 p.m. Three svces. on Sun. with
sermons Thurs. evg. and saints' days 1858; H.C.
on alternate Sun. with a.a. 40 communicants
and c. 130 at Easter. (fn. 44) Only a.m. and aft. Sun.
svce. 1866. Alf. Ric. Clemens, V. 1886-1932, (fn. 45)
introduced partly choral svces., H.C. every
Sun., Thurs., and saints' days by 1889; 200
communicants on roll c. 1891. (fn. 46) Sung Eucharist
every Sun. by 1906; (fn. 47) rood screen and other
High Ch. fittings during first two decades of 20th
cent. (fn. 48) Three clergy, dist. visitors, missionary
assoc., maternity and provident socs. from early
1850s. (fn. 49) Two asst. curates, paid respectively
£100 p.a. by City merchant and £65 p.a. by
Additional Curates Soc., besides lay scripture
reader, paid £70 by Scripture Readers' Assoc.,
and presumably unpaid women dist. visitors, c.
1858. (fn. 50) John Drummond MacGachen, V. 1861-
86, apparently had no asst. curate but generally
at least 1 until 1920s. (fn. 51) Helpers, inc. from univ.
settlements, associated in 32 ch. activities c.
1891. Mission work inc. preaching from pulpit
attached to exterior of ch., street svces., and
attempted mission at 'Tiger's Corner'; (fn. 52) mission
ho., temp. occupied by founders of St. Margaret's
Ho., 1892; (fn. 53) hall hired at no. 34 Tent St. from
1897, (fn. 54) replaced by St. Martin's mission 1899
and by par. hall N. of ch. 1934. (fn. 55) Bldg. of stock
brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style,
accommodating 1,058, by Wm. Railton, on site
acquired 1841, consecr. 1844: chancel, transepts, aisled and clerestoried nave, SW.
unfinished tower, W. gallery. (fn. 56) Alterations
1887; (fn. 57) bomb damage 1941 when svces. held
in hall (fn. 58) until ch. reopened 1955. (fn. 59) Presentation suspended 1971 and par. united with St.
John and St. Simon Zelotes under team mins.,
with V. at St. Barts. parsonage, under pastoral
scheme 1978. Ch. closed and appropriated to
residential use under Ch. Com. Scheme
1983; (fn. 60) converted into flats, Steeple Court, by
St. Bartholomew's Church c. 1840
St. James the Great, Bethnal Green Rd.
Dist. assigned 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by
Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £35 p.a. 1869,
and by Q.A.B. with £25 p.a. 1853 and £2,400
consols 1856. (fn. 61) Parsonage built adjoining E. end
of ch. 1842. (fn. 62) Attendance 1851: 160 adults and
200 children a.m. 30 adults and 80 children aft.,
300 adults and 40 children p.m.; (fn. 63) 1886: 55 a.m.,
56 p.m.; 1903: 133 a.m., 254 p.m.; a.a. 1967:
100-150 a.m. (fn. 64) Two full svces., occasional Sun.
aft. svce., and monthly H.C. with a.a. 5-20
communicants 1858. (fn. 65) Three svces. on weekdays
by 1889. Edw. Fras. Coke, V. 1852-97, raised
money for poor by advertising in Times, helped
found Queen Adelaide's dispensary, and offered
marriages for fee of 7d. (fn. 66) Ensuing rowdy scenes
as couples, many very young, married in batches
aroused hostility of fellow clergymen, as did
Coke's attitude to poor; grant for curate stopped,
but Coke raised funds by appeal and, except
1856-62, par. never without asst. curate. (fn. 67) Aided
by visiting soc. and young Sun. sch. teachers
1858, when ch. had libr. though not much
used. (fn. 68) V. later resident outside par., when
fabric neglected and ch. 'almost empty'. Reformation began under asst. curate Geo. M.
Stüppell, 1885-92, who ended cheap weddings. (fn. 69)
Fred. Gibson Wix, V. 1897-9, former curate of
St. Thos., restored fabric and introduced High
Ch. practices, provoking clashes at reopening
of ch. 1898. (fn. 70) Royal Com. on Eccl. Discipline
investigated H.C. 1904, when stations of cross
featured. (fn. 71) New side chapel for daily svces. 1906. (fn. 72)
Fred. A. Iremonger, V. 1912-16, introduced
simplified svce. in place of evensong, daily
office 1913, and daily Eucharist 1914. Requiem
masses during war. (fn. 73) Incense first used 1917,
Guild of the Altar pledging members to
weekly communion, formed 1918, reservation
of sacrament from 1923, confessions by 1929,
Corpus Christi celebrated 1930. (fn. 74) Financial
difficulties lessened under Iremonger, aided by
3 curates and members of Oxford Ho., of which
he was head. (fn. 75) Assistance from Sisters of Soc. of
St. Marg. from St. Saviour's priory, Haggerston,
by 1965, withdrawn 1975. (fn. 76) Mission svces. in
connexion with Church Army 1902; (fn. 77) used hall
in Florida St. by 1913, rebuilt as Florida hall
1922 and as club 1956. (fn. 78) Ch. supported range of
clubs, inc. choral soc. 1920; (fn. 79) prison visiting a
high priority of priest-in-charge 1967. (fn. 80) Cost
of ch. and parsonage met by Geo. Harrold,
'medical man', and sister. (fn. 81) Bldg., called 'Red
ch.' because first in E. End built of red brick, (fn. 82)
in Early Eng. style, with 1,153 free sittings by
Edw. Blore on site acquired 1840, consecr. 1844:
short sanctuary, N. and S. transepts, narrow
aisled nave; 'poor' bell turret (fn. 83) at W. angle of S.
transept; galleries, inc. W. organ gallery on iron
pillars. Gallery removed, ch. reroofed, and
chancel added 1897-8. Iron chancel screen
erected and S. transept made into side chapel
1906. Site scheduled for development as social
club 1975-6 when interior of ch. rearranged. (fn. 84)
Par. united with St. Jude under Scheme of 1951. (fn. 85)
Presentation of V. suspended 1956 and R. of St.
Mat. made priest-in-charge with asst. curate at
St. Jas. Vicarage. Curate made priest-in-charge
1962-9, when par. united with St. Mat. and St.
Peter under team mins. Presentation suspended
1972 and priest-in-charge appointed until 1984,
when St. Jas. the Great with St. Jude united
with St. Mat. (fn. 86) Ch. and Vicarage converted into
flats, St. Jas. Court, by 1996.
St. James the Less's Church c. 1840
St. James The Less, St. James's Rd. (later
Ave.). Dist. assigned from St. Mat. 1843. (fn. 87)
Patron bp., from 1903 Church Pastoral Aid Soc.
Patronage Trust. (fn. 88) Endowed by Eccl. Com. with
£150 p.a. 1843 and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a.
1853; (fn. 89) grants of £70 p.a. 1866 and £60 p.a. for
asst. curate 1903. Grey-brick parsonage built N.
of ch. by 1846. (fn. 90) Attendance 1851: 100 a.m., 30
p.m.; (fn. 91) 1886: 282 a.m., 298 p.m.; 1903: 377 a.m.,
1,322 p.m. Two svces. on Sun., one on Wed.
and monthly H.C. with a.a. c. 50 communicants
1858. (fn. 92) Partly choral Sun. p.m. svces. from 1880s
and weekly H.C. by 1903; (fn. 93) a.a. communicants
at Easter 26 in 1897, 915 in 1914, 79 in 1919,
217 in 1939, 110 in 1946, 74 in 1964. (fn. 94) Aided
by curate and visitors 1858, when ch. ran bible
class and provident soc. (fn. 95) Usually one asst.
curate but 6 under John E. Watts-Ditchfield, V.
1897-1914 and later bp. of Chelmsford. (fn. 96) WattsDitchfield, (fn. 97) arriving when par. in 'state of
spiritual torpor', was former Wes. preacher and
'notable example of the successful evangelical
clergyman'. Promoted range of activities, inc.
men's Sun. aft. svce., (fn. 98) using brass band and
inviting men from public hos. Churchyard
converted into recreation ground and I sch. into
medical mission and dispensary. Open-air svces.
at corner of Green and Bonner streets. Mission
svces. at no. 78 Cranbrook Rd. 1899-1901, when
replaced by former nonconf. chapel in Sidney
St. where attendance 1903: 16 a.m., 124 p.m.;
also in working men's hostel, converted from 3
hos. in Ames St., purchased 1901; attendance 1903:
79 p.m. Anonymous donor financed refurbishment of ch. and schs. and range of new par.
bldgs., opened 1901. (fn. 99) Inc. St. James's Rd. where
attendance 1903: 80 p.m., and St. James's hall,
Sewardstone Rd., where accommodation for 1,000
and attendance 1903: 169 a.m., 179 p.m. Ridley Ho.
opened 1904 for asst. curates. Watts-Ditchfield
also assisted by 6-8 women, one of them a
nurse. (fn. 1) Numbers fell after his resignation, men's
svce. being replaced by children's 1930. (fn. 2) Only
2 asst. clergy by 1919 but tradition continued
with Lond. City Missionary and woman ch.
worker after Second World War. (fn. 3) Sidney (later
Longman) St. mission chapel survived until
Second World War and Ames St. hostel in
1919. (fn. 4) Hall converted to flats for asst. clergy by
1959. (fn. 5) Bldg. of yellow, red, and white brick and
stone in Romanesque style, with 488 pews and
645 free seats, by Lewis Vulliamy on part of
Bonner's Hall est. acquired 1841, consecr. 1842: (fn. 6)
shallow semicircular apse, wide aisled nave with
galleries; criticized for W. pediment and 'pretending
wheel window' and for square SW tower with
spire 'of very great pretension'. (fn. 7) Altered 1908, (fn. 8)
damaged 1940; temp. ch. dedicated 1951. (fn. 9) Ch.
rebuilt by J. A. Lewis, preserving N. and S.
walls, chancel arch, and tower, and reconsecrated 1961. (fn. 10) Par. united with St Mark, Old
Ford, which was closed 1973.
St. John, Cambridge (Heath) Rd. Chapel of
ease to St. Mat. 1828. Dist. E. of Cambridge Rd.
assigned 1837. (fn. 11) Patron Brasenose Coll., Oxf.,
from 1844 bp. (fn. 12) All pew rents, except £20 p.a.
for clerk, assigned to perpetual curate 1828 but
reduced to £170 by 1842. (fn. 13) Endowed by Q. A.
B. with £150 p.a. from St. Cath. Coleman, 1847,
with £1,191 consols 1849, and £387 stock
1854. (fn. 14) Gross income £400 c. 1858, of which pew
rents c. £150 and surplice fees c. £75. (fn. 15) Falling
pew rents led to Eccl. Com. grants 1869 and
1880 but value of living only £270 by 1881. (fn. 16)
Vicarage built on former Poor's Land E. of ch.
1852, (fn. 17) enlarged by G.M. Hills 1879 and damaged
by bombing 1941; St. Simon Zelotes's Vicarage
used from 1951 until replaced by no. 30 Victoria
Pk. Sq. 1975. (fn. 18) Early incumbents were fellows
of Brasenose Coll. Probably Low. Ch., with
'mean, uncovered altar table'1831. Bryan King,
perpetual curate 1837-42, nephew of R. Joshua
King but ritualist and promoter of Blomfield's
scheme; difficulty in appointing successor from
Brasenose because vestry refused finance from
ch. rate. (fn. 19) Three Sun. and 2 weekday svces. with
4 sermons a week and monthly H.C. with c. 80
communicants 1858; also p.m. svce., a.a. 50-80,
during week in schoolroom. (fn. 20) Svces. partly choral by 1866, fully by 1871, with Anglican and
Gregorian music and altar lights by 1889. Five
Sun. svces. by 1914. Attendance 1851: 700
adults and 380 children a.m., 50 adults and 12
children aft., 1,300 adults and 100 children
p.m.; (fn. 21) a.a. 1858: 1,000 a.m. and p.m. Sun., 50
weekdays. (fn. 22) Attendance 1886, under 'well known
High Churchman' (fn. 23) Hen. B. Bromby, V. 1885-
92, 536 a.m., 625 p.m.; 1903: 101 a.m., 211 p.m.
Head of Episcopal Jews' chapel acted as B.
King's curate 1841. (fn. 24) Curate, paid £90 by Curates Pastoral Aid Soc., by incumbent, and by
subscriptions, from 1857. Usually 1, in 1890s 3,
asst. curates. Also scripture reader and 24 women
visitors 1858, when ch. supported provident
soc., libr., and bible class. (fn. 25) Hugh Huleatt, V.
1879-85 and superintendent of Lond. City
Mission dist., opened mission in Peel Grove
1881 and held open-air svces. 1883; parochial
mission woman employed 1889. (fn. 26) Bldg. of brick
with stone dressings, seating 2,000, inc. 1,200 free,
on Poor's Land acquired by Com. for New Chs.,
by Sir John Soane 1826-8: (fn. 27) chancel, E. vestries,
aisled nave with round-headed windows, and W.
galleries; W. tower with cupola a 'monstrous
excrescence' and 'object of low wit and vulgar
abuse'. Combination of massive rectangular
W. facade with small tower considered typical
of architect but marred by com.'s budget. (fn. 28)
Restored after fire 1870 by Wm. Mundy but
'clumsiest tracery' in windows spoiled Grecian
style of original. (fn. 29) Chancel extended by G. F.
Bodley 1888. (fn. 30) Altered 1892, (fn. 31) damaged 1941,
svces. held in crypt. (fn. 32) Under Scheme of 1951,
N. part of par. united with St. Jas. the Less and
rest with St. Simon Zelotes with St. Ant. to form
par. of St. John with St. Simon. (fn. 33) Under Scheme
of 1978, united with St. Bart. to form St. John
with St. Bart. St. John's remained par. ch., after
1978 run by team ministry of R., chosen by
Patronage Board and resident in St. John's
parsonage, and V., chosen by bp. and R. and
resident at St. Bartholomew's parsonage. (fn. 34)
St. John's Church c. 1840
St. Jude, Old Bethnal Green Rd. Dist. assigned
from St. Mat. 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by
Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £80 p.a. 1863,
and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. from St. Cath.
Coleman 1847. (fn. 35) Parsonage built S. of ch. (fn. 36)
Attendance 1851: 500 adults and 250 children
a.m., 700 p.m.; (fn. 37) a.a. c. 1858: 300 a.m., 400 p.m.; (fn. 38)
attendance 1886: 175 a.m., 197 p.m.; 1903: 126
a.m., 279 p.m. Programme of svces. 'very scanty'
1848. (fn. 39) Two Sun. svces. with sermons, one
during week, and monthly H.C. with c. 65
communicants 1858; (fn. 40) H.C. still monthly 1889
but weekly by 1897; Easter communicants 37 in
1892, 90 in 1900. (fn. 41) City Missionary scripture
reader and women visitors but no curate 1858,
when ch. supported young men's assoc., provident
soc., and libr. (fn. 42) Usually 1 and, after grant by E.
Lond. Church Fund 1898-1908, 2 asst. curates.
Alf. Struügnell, V. 1868-97, later often left curate
in sole charge. Wilfred Davies, curate 1892-6,
raised money for repair of ch. and schs. (fn. 43) and
for institute and iron bldg. and soup kitchen in
St. Jude's St. and Old Bethnal Green Rd. (fn. 44)
Mission svces. at institute 1914; (fn. 45) open-air svces.
in George Gdns. and Punderson's Gdns. Ch.,
helped by Oxford Ho., supported brigades,
temperance and bible classes, wide range of
clubs, and penny bank; country holidays for
mothers and children. (fn. 46) Bldg. of yellow brick
and stone in 'German Romanesque' style, seating 1,110 inc. 300 free, by Hen. Clutton on site
acquired 1842, consecr. 1846: apsidal chancel,
transepts, barrel roofed and clerestoried nave
with N. and S. galleries, 2 towers with short
spires in W. angle of transepts. Criticized for
cold from lack of chimneys and for echo 1858.
Restored 1869, altered six times 1878-1931,
damaged by bombing 1940, and later demol. (fn. 47)
Par. united with St. Jas. the Great under Scheme
of 1951. (fn. 48)
St. Matthias, Hare (later Cheshire) St. Dist.
assigned from SW. part of St. Mat. 1844. Patron
bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a.
1844, £50 p.a. 1864, and by Q. A. B. with £50
p.a. from St. Cath. Coleman 1847. (fn. 49) Incumbent
allowed £25 p.a. to rent ho. 1857, but refused to
live in unhealthy dist. (fn. 50) Site N. of Bethnal Green
Rd., next to Gibraltar Walk, for parsonage blt.
to design by Wm. White 1881, but V. still
non-resident. 1889. (fn. 51) Attendance 1851: 150
adults and 300 children a.m., 400 p.m.; (fn. 52) a.a.
500-600 Sun. p.m. in summer, 800 winter but
'comparatively thin' a.m. c. 1858; attendance
1886: 103 a.m., 317 p.m.; 1903: 115 a.m., 163
p.m. Three Sun. svces., one weekday, and
H.C. twice a month after p.m. svce. with a.a.
120-30 communicants c. 1858. (fn. 53) Svces. partly
choral by 1866. Four Sun. svces. by 1914. First
incumbent, 'energetic and popular', took poor
for country excursions. Throughout 1850s close
association with Lond. City Mission, which
supplied 2 missionaries; (fn. 54) assisted by 2 curates,
2 lay scripture readers, and 2 men and 9 women
visitors c. 1858. Curates held 3 svces. a week
in schoolroom and readers held cottage lectures
and bible classes. Ch. supported young men's
class, provident soc., and libr. (fn. 55) Later usually
1 or no asst. curate. V. established industrial
sch. 1868; (fn. 56) V.'s 'painstaking' work noted
1898. (fn. 57) Bldg. of yellow brick with stone
dressings in 'Byzantine' or Romanesque style,
seating 1,300 free, by T.H. Wyatt and D.
Brandon 1846-8: apsidal sanctuary, short
chancel, aisled and clerestoried nave, W.
gallery, octagonal SW tower with spire. (fn. 58) St.
Matthias's par. united with St. Mat. 1954 and
ch. demol. 1957. (fn. 59)
St. Paul, Virginia Row. Dist. assigned
from St. Matthias and St. Thos. 1865. First
incumbent appointed by perpetual curate of
St. Matthias and second by abp. of Canterbury
by lapse; patron thereafter bp., from
1896/1900 dean and chapter of Canterbury. (fn. 60)
Endowed by Eccl. Com. with £200 p.a.
1866. (fn. 61) Grant 1883 for parsonage built in
Gosset St. 1899. (fn. 62) Attendance 1886: 34 a.m.,
105 p.m.; 1903: 136 a.m., 201 p.m. Three Sun.
svces., one weekday, H.C. twice a month 1889.
First V. former curate of St. Matthias, (fn. 63) third
former dissenting min. and curate of St.
Simon Zelotes and St. Phil. (fn. 64) V. commended for conscientiousness 1898. (fn. 65)
Among poorest benefices, with one and often
no asst. curate. (fn. 66) Institute built in Gosset St.
1896. (fn. 67) High Ch. V., R. C. Jones, attracted
more than 1,000 to Sun. p.m. svces. c. 1936. (fn. 68)
Bldg. of stock brick with bands of red and
black, seating 900, by Wm. Wigginton 1863-
4: chancel, aisled nave, NE. tower. Damaged
by bombing and demol. when par. united
with St. Mat. 1951. (fn. 69)
St. Peter, St. Peter's St. (later Ave.).
Dist. assigned from St. Mat. 1843. Patron bp.,
from 1889/92 corp. of Lond. (fn. 70) Endowed by
Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. 1843, £50 p.a. 1865,
and by Q. A. B. with £50 p.a. from St. Cath.
Coleman 1847. (fn. 71) Parsonage built by Vulliamy
at same time as ch. but in poor repair 1858. (fn. 72)
Three Sun. svces. with large congregations,
30-40 at H.C., and regular attendants at twice
daily prayers 1842. (fn. 73) Attendance 1851: 510
a.m., 90 aft., 610 p.m.; (fn. 74) a.a. c. 1858: 300 a.m.,
70 aft., 250 p.m.; (fn. 75) attendance 1886: 286 a.m.,
284 p.m.; 1903: 79 a.m., 140 p.m. Three Sun.
svces. and 2 sermons, 2 daily svces, and
H.C. twice a month 1858. (fn. 76) Partly choral by
1866, fully from 1880s when weekly H.C. By
1908 202 Easter communicants, H.C. twice on
Sun., once choral, and once during week. (fn. 77)
Daily office 1911. (fn. 78) John Graham Packer, V.
1841-73, bullied free thinker Chas. Bradlaugh
(d. 1891), in 1840s a Sun. sch. teacher at St.
Peter's, and perhaps drove him out of Ch. (fn. 79)
Par. supported libr. and was assisted by visiting soc. connected with metropolitan soc.
1858. (fn. 80) V. non-resident by 1870, when curate
at parsonage. (fn. 81) Edw. Hyndman Beckles, V.
1873-1902 and bp. of Sierra Leone, lived in
Suss. while G. H. Woolley, curate 1887-1903
and father of archaeologist Sir Leonard, found
parsonage too small and lived in schoolmaster's ho. and part of sch. Wm. Hen.
Maynard, V. 1903-30, raised funds to restore
ch., extend Vicarage, and inaugurate many
clubs and missions. (fn. 82) Mission svces. at St.
Peter's schs. 1903 when attendance 101 p.m.
Nos. 40-42 St. Peter's St., inc. mission room
formerly used by Mildmay Trust, leased 1903
until par. hall and institute built on site of nos.
50-2 Warner Pl. 1912, where svces. held 1914. (fn. 83)
Asst. curate paid £80 p.a. by Additional Curates
Soc. 1858. (fn. 84) Usually 1 curate, sometimes 2 or
more, especially in late 19th cent. (fn. 85) Bldg., first
of Blomfield's chs., of flint, stone, and stock
brick in Romanesque style with 472 pews and
658 free seats, by Lewis Vulliamy 1840-1: sanctuary, large nave, W. porch beneath square
tower with octagonal lantern and spire. (fn. 86) In
bad repair c. 1858, (fn. 87) altered 1891, (fn. 88) restored,
with galleries removed and NE. vestry added,
1905; SE. choir vestry by E. T. Dunn. 1911.
Damaged by bombing 1941 and svces. held in
former sch. until ch. reconsecr. 1955. (fn. 89) Scheme
of 1951 united par. with St. Thos. and part of
St. Jude in new par. centred on St. Peter's. (fn. 90)
Served by visiting clergy, V. of St. Jas. the
Great, and Church Army 1963-72, then by
priest-in-charge, made V. 1978. (fn. 91) Church hall,
of red brick with stone dressings and in Tudor
style, built 1912, survived in Warner place in
St. Philip, Friar's Mount (later Swanfield St.).
'Clergyman' appointed 1842 and dist. assigned
from St. Mat. 1843. Patron bp. Endowed by
Eccl. Com. with £150 p.a. and £74 1843,
£64 p.a. 1863, and by Q. A. B. with £50 1853; (fn. 92)
Further £50 p.a. after closure of Holy Trinity
1926. (fn. 93) Parsonage built S. of ch. 1862. (fn. 94)
Attendance 1851: 130 adults and 200 children
a.m., 300 adults and 120 children p.m.; (fn. 95) 1886:
121 a.m., 245 p.m.; 1903: 122 a.m., 116 p.m. Two
Sun. svces., litany twice weekly, and a.a. 40
communicants 1858. (fn. 96) By 1889 H.C. twice a
month and 2 weekday svces.; 4 Sun. svces. by
1914. Poorest par., as 'the Nichol', where clergy
mainly concerned with material distress.
Geo. Alstone, incumbent 1842-51, declined fees
for baptisms; (fn. 97) Jas. Trevitt, 1851-72, exposed
conditions in letters to press. (fn. 98) Asst. curate paid
£80 by Additional Curates Soc. 1858, when 3
curates needed and want of funds 'oppressive'. (fn. 99)
Metropolitan Dist. Visiting Soc. paid £80 p.a. to
support 40 visitors 1861, when ch. ran several
schs., socs., and library. (fn. 1) From 1870 usually 1 and
sometimes no asst. curate, especially after 1918. (fn. 2)
Ch. said c. 1898 to dispense indiscriminate
charity and work 'confined to children'. (fn. 3) Par.
room, later boys' club, built N. of ch. 1902. (fn. 4)
Bldg. of stock brick with red mouldings and
stone dressings in Romanesque style, seating
1,100 free, by T. L. Walker 1841-2: shallow
chancel, nave, twin short W. towers and low
spires. (fn. 5) Under Scheme of 1954 par. united with
St. Mat. Ch. then used as ch. furniture store
until demol. 1966. (fn. 6)
St. Simon Zelotes's Church in 1850
St. Simon Zelotes, Morpeth St. (fn. 7) Dist.
assigned from St. John and St. Jas. the Less
1844. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl. Com. with
£150 p.a. 1844 and £50 1865 and by Q. A. B.
with £50 p.a. 1853. (fn. 8) Parsonage, to S., built at
same time as ch. (fn. 9) Attendance 1851: 99 adults
and 94 children a.m., 150 adults and 17 children
p.m.; (fn. 10) 1886: 109 a.m., 159 p.m.; 1903: 183 a.m., 216
p.m. Two Sun. svces., occasional aft. svce. in
schoolroom, and monthly H.C. with a.a. 15-32
communicants 1858. (fn. 11) Three, partly choral,
Sun. svces. and daily svce. 1881. Weekly H.C.
by 1914. Incumbent (fn. 12) usually assisted by curate,
paid £80 p.a. and by scripture reader and 9
visitors from Metropolitan Visiting Assoc. 1858,
when ch. supported provident soc. and par.
libr. (fn. 13) Three curates before the First World
War. Mission in Surat St. c. 1898 and par.
bldgs. erected in Warley St. 1907. (fn. 14) Bldg. in
Transitional Gothic style, seating 933 free, by
Ben. Ferrey, on site acquired 1840, consecr.
1847: chancel, aisled and clerestoried nave,
W. galleries, belfry, and small tower. (fn. 15) Large
window cut in W. wall 1912. (fn. 16) Damaged
by bombing 1943-4 and later demol. (fn. 17) Par.
united with St. Ant., Stepney, 1936 and, under
Scheme of 1951, with St. John, Bethnal
Green. (fn. 18) Parsonage served combined benefice
until 1975. (fn. 19)
St. Thomas, Baroness Rd. Dist. assigned from
St. Mat. 1844. Patron bp. Endowed by Eccl.
Com. with £150 p.a. 1844, £75 p.a. 1864, £25
p.a. 1865, and by Q. A. B. with £50 from St.
Cath. Coleman 1847. (fn. 20) Annual grants from
St. Paul, Hampstead, 1900-5. (fn. 21) Parsonage, to
NE., built at same time as ch. (fn. 22) a.a. c. 1858: 150
a.m., 200 p.m.; (fn. 23) attendance 1886: 140 a.m., 220
p.m.; 1903: 156 a.m., 194 p.m. Three svces. with
2 sermons on Sun., 1 on Fri., and monthly
H.C. with a.a. 40-50 communicants 1858. (fn. 24)
Svces. fully choral with altar lights by 1881,
when H.C. every Sun. and once on weekdays
and 2 daily svces.; 5 Sun. svces. by 1914. Two
asst. curates, paid respectively £100 by Church
Pastoral Soc. and £80 by Curates Pastoral Aid
Soc., and 11 women and 2 or 3 men visitors and
60-70 Sun. sch. teachers c. 1857. (fn. 25) After loss of
a curate, incumbent complained of too few
clergy 1858; (fn. 26) thereafter usually 1 asst. curate
until 1930s. (fn. 27) Mission svces. in institute in Baroness Rd. c. 1914. Bldg. of Kentish rag in Early
Eng. style, with 480 free sittings and 300 sittings
for children, by Lewis Vulliamy on site in Nova
Scotia Gdns. given by owners 1848 and financed
by Wm. Cotton as memorial to son, consecr.
1850: short apsidal chancel, aisled nave, SW.
tower. Altered 1892, restored 1909, damaged
during Second World War, and demol. 1954. (fn. 28)
Under Scheme of 1951 par. united with St.
Peter. (fn. 29)
All Saints, Vyner
St. Maria Pope of Kensington gave land
behind no. 244 Cambridge Rd. to Christ Ch., S.
Hackney, 1888. (fn. 30) Site nearby, at junction of
Vyner and Mowlem streets, where mission ch.
built at her expense 1894-5, sold by Maria Pope
to trustees (inc. V. of Christ Ch.) appointed
by bp. 1896. Premises inc. gym, club room,
classrooms, and chapel seating 300. Attendance
1903: 30 a.m., 27 p.m. Bldg. of red brick and
stone dressings, by J. E. K. and J. P. Cutts, used
as mission c. 1914 but converted to workshop
1926 and later used as shoe factory. (fn. 31)
Petley Hall, Chilton St. Site on W. side
opposite St. Matthias ch., with mission ho. and
other bldgs. erected 1886, conveyed by C. R. C.
Petley to Bp. of Lond.'s Fund for mission 1887. (fn. 32)
Listed as place of worship c. 1898, mission hall
1910, and par. room of St. Matthias 1938. (fn. 33)
ST. Francis Of Assisi, Cambridge Rd. Former Birkbeck sch. (closed 1884) on. W. side
opened as St. And.'s hall 1888. Clubroom and
offices on lower floor, halls above. Attendance
1903: 34 p.m. Dilapidated by 1914 and reconstructed by Austin Durst 1919. Reopened as ch.
of St. Francis of Assisi 1920 and used as mission
until destroyed in war. (fn. 34)
ST. Martin Somerford St. Mission hall
on site at corner of Somerford and Tapp
streets, leased by Hilda Barry of St. Margaret's
Ho. to St. Bart's par. 1899. (fn. 35) By 1927 owned by
Lond. Diocesan Fund, which conveyed it to
parochial ch. council of St. Bart. Always run
as mission from St. Bart. with curate as priestin-charge, aided by mission women 1906.
Attendance 1903: 69 p.m.; Sun. sch. and p.m.
mission svce. each Sun. 1906. (fn. 36) Large redbrick bldg. with Bath stone dressings 1898-99. (fn. 37)
Sold to L.C.C. 1934 when St. Bart. built new
par. hall. (fn. 38) Closed by 1939 and destroyed in
war. (fn. 39)
House, (fn. 40) Derbyshire St. Founded 1884 by
group led by warden of Keble Coll., Oxf.,
alarmed at undenom. nature of recently opened
Toynbee Hall. Conceived as settlement for
Anglican graduates to provide religious, social,
and educational svces. for East End and to
acquire practical experience, especially if
they intended to take holy orders. G. W. H.
Knight-Bruce, (fn. 41) curate of St. And.'s, offered Nat.
sch. next to ch., converted into clubroom and
for 2 residents. More rooms rented in ho. until
large red-brick bldg. by Sir Art. Blomfield
erected in Derbyshire St. 1891. (fn. 42) Provided clubs
for men and boys, dispensary, workshops, lectures,
reading rooms, and legal advice. Mission svces.
in large iron Oxford hall, built behind no. 17
Victoria Park Sq. 1887, (fn. 43) at chapel belonging
to Webbe institute, founded 1888, and in chs. (fn. 44)
By 1899 eight Bethnal Green pars. receiving
help, especially in visiting and running clubs,
from Oxford Ho. and 7 clergy former residents.
Heads of Oxford Ho. inc. A. F. Winnington-Ingram (1889-97) and B. R. Wilson (1897-1901),
successive R.s under whom Rectory housed
members of Ho., and Fred. A. Iremonger (1911-
6), also V. of St. Jas. the Great. (fn. 45) Often resented
as rival by local clergy, especially after First
World War. Oxf. institutions provided 68 per
cent. of finance 1885, 9 per cent. 1914. Women
residents and club members from 1937; first
married head of ho. 1938. After 1945 local
element dominant and mainly a community centre, financial difficulties bringing temp. closure
1969. Reopened but no longer residential and
religious dimension almost entirely lost. Housed
Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement 1992. (fn. 46)
Ridley House, (fn. 47) St. James's Rd. Univ. settlement by evangelical wing of Ch. of Eng.
linked with Ridley Hall, Camb. and Wycliffe
Hall, Oxf., opened next to St. Jas. the Less ch.
1904. V., J. E. Watts-Ditchfield, first warden.
Housed candidates for holy orders, (fn. 48) under
supervision of V. and, for shorter periods, other
univ. men and outside clergy interested in East
End. Social and medical svces. provided but
emphasis on spiritual appeal.
ST. Margaret's House, (fn. 49) 21 Old Ford Rd.
Women's branch of Oxford Ho. founded 1889,
run by cttee. of Oxf. women and alumnae of
Cheltenham Ladies' Coll. Opened Mayfield
Ho., nos. 1-3 Old Ford Rd., providing for
women svces. similar to those of Oxford Ho. (fn. 50)
Oxf. group moved to St. Bart.'s mission ho. 1892
and leased no. 4 Victoria Park Sq., which opened
as St. Margaret's Ho. 1893. Leased University
Ho. at no. 17 Victoria Park Sq. 1895. Both
replaced by no. 21 Old Ford Rd., purchased
from Female Guardians Assoc. 1900, where
chapel by Paul Waterhouse opened 1904. (fn. 51) By
1912 residents active in 6 pars., running schs.
and social and welfare organizations. Recognized
as training centre for ch. workers 1922 and for
social workers 1929. Involved with Citizens'
Advice Bureau 1939-89. No. 19 Old Ford Rd.
acquired 1946 and association with local govt.
strengthened after war. Cozy club, claimed as first
old age pensioners' club in Lond., started 1936,
became day centre for pensioners 1957. Youth
clubs declined until 1962 when community svce.
volunteers established. Formal connexion with
Oxford Ho. severed 1966 and other groups
housed from 1970s, inc. Newpin (parent and
infant network), Tower Hamlets Vietnamese
Families Assoc., and work centre and social
club for elderly. Financial difficulties brought
proposal to sell no. 19 Old Ford Rd. 1989. Still
resident Christian settlement 1990.
ST. Hilda's East, (fn. 52) 18 Club Row. Settlement
left at Mayfield Ho. after foundation of St.
Margaret's Ho. built hall and residence at
no. 3 Old Nichol St., in new Boundary
Street est., which opened as St. Hilda's
East 1898. (fn. 53) Contained chapel and carried
out parochial and non-parochial work inc.
help with nursery schs. and social clubs
and for unemployed. Bldg. opposite, no. 18
Club Row, on site of Nichol ragged sch. and
mission, purchased 1944. Reconstructed
after bomb damage as Bruce hall, opened
1950. Bldg. in Old Nichol St. had 15 residents,
mostly social science students, c. 1950, by
which time Anglican connexion much
attenuated; men admitted from 1950. (fn. 54)
Bldg. given up 1964 and later used by
Cheshire Foundation as mental health hostel.
Club Row bldg. used for young and old
people's social activities and new day centre
opened 1968. Increasing involvement of
local community. Immigration caused friction
with vandalizing of youth club bldgs.,
leading to closure of youth section by
I.L.E.A. 1973. Rebuilt 1977. Club Row club
opened 1975, with bar by 1981 which was
later closed to attract Muslims. No specific
religious connexion 1990, rebuilt 1994. (fn. 55)