List of plates

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Philip Riden, Charles Insley (Editors)

Year published

2002

Supporting documents

Pages

8-9

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 5: The Hundred of Cleley (2002), pp. VIII-IX. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22773 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

LIST OF PLATES

Between pp. 192 and 193

1. Alderton, St. Margaret, before 1847-8. (Northamptonshire Record Office, NAS 50, p. 104a) Hartwell. Medieval chapel at Chapel Farm, shortly before 1850. Sketch by George Clarke of Scaldwell. (N.R.O., NAS 108)

Paulerspury, St. James, interior. Sketch by George Clarke. (N.R.O., GCPS 35.36)

Paulerspury, St. James, chancel interior, looking north towards the Throckmorton monuments.(N.R.O., GCPS 35.36)

Paulerspury, St. James, nave, looking east. (N.R.O., GCPS 40. 28)

2. Hartwell, St John the Baptist, design by Charles Vickers (1850). (N.R.O., 159p/87, by kindpermission of the Incumbent and Parochial Church Council of Hartwell)

Hartwell, St John the Baptist, as built in 1851. (Peter Moyse)

Deanshanger, Holy Trinity, by Benjamin Ferrey (1854). (Peter Moyse)

Shutlanger, the school-church by Matthew Holding (1884-6). (Peter Moyse)

3. Deanshanger, Carpenter's Almshouses. (Peter Moyse)

Yardley Gobion, the former union workhouse of c. 1835, much altered. (Peter Moyse)

Roade, Wesleyan Methodist churches, by Brown & Mayor (1908) and by S. J. Newman(1875). (Peter Moyse)

4. Deanshanger, Primitive Methodist chapel and schoolroom, 1892. (Peter Moyse)

Hartwell, Wesleyan Methodist chapel, rebuilt in 1889-95. (Peter Moyse)

Yardley Gobion, The Packhorse, c. 1900. (N.R.O., Phipps, Uncatalogued, p. 35)

Grand Junction Canal, Castlethorpe Wharf, the Navigation Inn. (N.R.O., Phipps 2, 2219)

5. Paulerspury, National School, by John Haite for W. H. Newbolt 1860-1, with rear wing1878. (Peter Moyse)

Wicken, National School, built by the 1st Lord Penrhyn 1878, extended 1898. (Peter Moyse)

Roade School, 1876. (Peter Moyse)

6. Yardley Gobion, Yardley Wharf on the Grand Junction Canal. Sketch by Isabella Sams,1870s. (N.R.O., P 2653)

Cosgrove, bridge carrying the village street over the Grand Junction Canal. (Peter Moyse)

Stoke Bruerne, Grand Junction Canal. Double locks at the top of the flight, with a boatweighing machine from the Glamorganshire Canal, and a steam cornmill, 1840s, now theWaterways Museum. (Peter Moyse)

7. Stoke Bruerne. Station building on the Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction Railway,opened to passengers 1892 and closed 1893. (Peter Moyse)

Roade. Cutting on the Northampton Loop of the London & North Western Railway, beingbuilt late 1870s. (N.R.O., P 3038)

8. Hartwell, Bozenham Mill, apparently 16th-century. Sketch by Isabella Sams 1870s.(N.R.O., P 2658)

Potterspury, Victorian mill on the site of a mill recorded in 1086. (Peter Moyse)

9. Potterspury, Grafton Terrace, probably built 1840s. (Peter Moyse)

Hartwell, cottages, probably 1870s. (Peter Moyse)

Stoke Bruerne, cottages, probably 1870s. (Peter Moyse)

10. Passenham, Passenham Manor, built by Sir Robert Banastre, 1620s. East front. (PeterMoyse)

Passenham, Passenham Manor. Barns north of the house. (Peter Moyse)

11. Stoke Bruerne, Stoke Park, by Inigo Jones, 1620s, as remodelled in the late 18th centuryfor Levison Vernon. Sketch by George Clarke, early 19th century. (N.R.O., P 2044)

Cosgrove, Cosgrove Hall, early 18th-century for the Longeville family. Sketch by GeorgeClarke, early 19th century. (N.R.O., P 2042)

Wicken, Wicken Park. Charles Hosier's house of 1717, as enlarged by Thomas Prowse, 1765.Sketch by George Clarke, early 19th century. (N.R.O., P 2144)

12. Grafton Regis, Grafton Manor, south front. Sketch by Isabella Sam (Mrs. J. B. Harrison),1870s. (N.R.O., P 2665)

Grafton Regis, Grafton Manor, rear elevation. (N.R.O., P 2663)

Potterspury, Potterspury Lodge, from the west in 1844, before enlargement for A. H.Newton, apparently by Sir Edwin Lutyens. (N.R.O., NAS 117B)

Grafton Regis, Grafton Manor. An outbuilding, possibly the only surviving fabric fromHenry VIII's mansion. (Peter Moyse)

13. Deanshanger, Dovehouse Farm, the former capital messuage of the manor of Deanshanger.(Peter Moyse)

Cosgrove, Mansel Farm House, late 17th-century farmhouse on the Mansel estate. (PeterMoyse)

Alderton, Horton House, dated 1695. (Peter Moyse)

Paulerspury, Isaac Lovell's new farmhouse, probably 1840s, on the High Street. (PeterMoyse)

14. Wicken, St. John the Evangelist. (Peter Moyse)

Shutlanger, 14th-century house, home of the Parles family, sketched in 1857. (N.R.O., NAS 52,p. 108)

Furtho, dovecote, all that survives of the Furtho family's house, with the parish churchbeyond. (Peter Moyse)

Ashton, dovecote near the Manor House, probably in the 1850s. (N.R.O., NAS 53/29)

15. Easton Neston, Easton Neston House, west front, with mid 17th-century gate piers. (A. F.Kersting)

Easton Neston, Easton Neston House, from the south-west. (A. F. Kersting)

Easton Neston, Easton Neston House. Lady Sophia Fermor sends her father a sketch of theirhome, 1729. (N.R.O., Fermor-Hesketh, W/1, by kind permission of Lord Hesketh).

Easton Neston, Easton Neston House, John Raffield's Coade stone gateway and lodges of1822 at the Watling Street entrance. (Peter Moyse)

16. Grafton Regis. Rectory with family group, c. 1880, including the Revd. B. J. Sams and hisdaughter Ella. (N.R.O., P 6178)

Paulerspury. Ella Harrison at the entrance to Rectory, with her husband, the Revd. J. B.Harrison, 1887. (N.R.O., P 6179)

Paulerspury. The Harrisons' servants at the Rectory, probably also in the 1880s. (N.R.O.,P 6182)