Kingsbury
Other estates

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff, G C Tyack

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Pages

61-71

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Kingsbury: Other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 61-71. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26895 Date accessed: 27 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

OTHER ESTATES.

In 1044-51 Edward the Confessor confirmed a grant made by his housecarl Thurstan to Westminster abbey of land and rights at Chalkhill, including the third tree and third pig of pannage from the wood belonging to Kingsbury, which had been held in common since ancient times. (fn. 54) A writ, probably spurious, purporting to be a confirmation made in 1071-5 by William I of Thurstan's grant, mentioned that the Chalkhill lands and rights of sake and soke, toll, team, infangthief and flymenafyrmth, were for a supplement to the monks' diet (ad subsidium victuale). (fn. 55) The estate was probably subinfeudated or farmed out from an early date. Alwin Horne, one of Edward the Confessor's thegns, held it in pledge from 'a certain man of St. Peter's' and in 1086 William the Chamberlain held it under Westminster abbey. (fn. 56)

A tenement belonging to the abbot of Westminster, which was mentioned as an abutment of land in south-east Harrow in 1236, was probably part of the Chalkhill estate, (fn. 57) but its subsequent history is obscure. A 15th-century gloss in the Westminster Domesday noted that a servant of the infirmary received an annual stipend of 5s. from Chalkhill. (fn. 58) Although the grant made by Abbot Gervase (1138-57) to his mother Dameta is now thought to refer to Chelsea rather than to Chalkhill, (fn. 59) it is possible that a similar grant was made. As at neighbouring Hendon, one or more mesne estates probably developed, while the Westminster overlordship became more and more attenuated until it disappeared completely.

One mesne estate which developed was probably that held by the Chalkhill family, which was active in Kingsbury from the late 12th until the 17th century. (fn. 60) The core of the later Chalkhill estate, however, was a capital messuage and 40 a. of freehold land, called in 1350 'le Chalkhulland', which was held in socage from Kingsbury manor. Richard Page died seised of it and in 1350 his heir was his kinsman, John, son of William Page, an infant two years old, for whom guardians, Roger and Agnes Cheeseman, were appointed. At the same time John Page inherited three messuages and three halfvirgates of bondland, Blakehaw, Bootland, and one unnamed, of which Robert, William, and John Page respectively had died seised. (fn. 61) The estate thus formed passed into the hands of the Chalkhill family in the late 14th century. (fn. 62) In 1533 the property comprised three messuages, 40 a. of land, 16 a. of meadow, 100 a. of pasture, and 10 a. of wood in Kingsbury and Harrow-on-the-Hill, presumably at Tokyngton. (fn. 63) In 1597 Chalkhill Place and another messuage were sited in the corner between Forty Lane and Salmon Street. (fn. 64) The 1597 map shows the boundaries of land in the Harrow border, south of the demesne of Kingsbury manor, and the northern boundary of the main part of the estate, which may be presumed to occupy all the southwestern corner of Kingsbury, with the exception of one field, giving a total area of approximately 152 a.

Jon Chalkhill, who succeeded his father, Jon or Eyan Chalkhill, in 1605, (fn. 65) was still in possession in 1609, (fn. 66) but the estate had passed to John Scudamore of London (d. 1647) before 1617. (fn. 67) Scudamore's widow, Elizabeth, sold Chalkhill, then described as a mansion house and 161 a., to Ralph Hartley, apothecary of London, in 1649. (fn. 68) John Scudamore had added Haw or Holcroft (3 a.) before 1631, (fn. 69) and 5 a. of Mosshatches, both north of Forty Lane, as well as Findens (12 a.), freehold land on either side of Blackbird Hill and a house north of Old Church Lane in the 1640s, which was held at a nominal rent from the heirs of Francis Roberts. (fn. 70) The rest of Mosshatches (10 a.) had become part of the Chalkhill estate by 1726. (fn. 71)

In 1684 Hartley mortgaged the property and shortly afterwards it passed by sale or mortgage in trust to Richard Bowater, mercer of London, who was related to Hartley by marriage. (fn. 72) Bowater was succeeded, on his death in 1726, by his nephew of the same name, (fn. 73) whose son, also called Richard Bowater, was still in possession in 1786. (fn. 74) George Worrall of Frenchay (Glos.) was the owner in 1819 (fn. 75) and 1823. (fn. 76) He sold the estate to Capt. George Rooke of Bigsweir (Glos.) in 1830. (fn. 77) George Rooke was in possession in 1839 of 180 a. (fn. 78) and Hannah Rooke, probably his widow and possibly the daughter of George and Hannah Worrall, was the owner in 1842 and 1846. John W. Prout, who held the estate in 1859, (fn. 79) sold 20 a. on the Harrow border, north of Forty Lane, to All Souls College between 1868 and 1879. (fn. 80) H. D. Rawlings was the owner in 1882. (fn. 81) Chalkhill was referred to as 'the Nicoll estate' by 1901 and in that year Mrs. Nicoll sold 8 a. adjoining the river Brent and the Metropolitan railway to Kingsbury U.D.C. for use as sewage works. (fn. 82) Most of the estate had apparently been sold to the Metropolitan Railway Co. Estates Ltd. before 1919, when the company planned to develop it. (fn. 83) Building began there in 1920. (fn. 84)

Chalkhill Place or House was the home of the Chalkhill family and may have been used as a residence by the Bowaters and other owners, but most of the estate was leased out. (fn. 85) From the mid 18th century it was usually divided among two or more lessees, (fn. 86) although sometimes, as in 1819 and in the 20th century, it was administered as part of a much larger area of leased land. (fn. 87) A messuage was attached to 'Chalkhilland' in 1350. (fn. 88) As 'Eyan Chalkhill's tenement', it was depicted in 1597 as a typical Elizabethan house with a main block and projecting wings, situated south of Forty Lane. (fn. 89) The house was rebuilt and added to several times. Tudor pottery and bricks in the cellar floor were found when the site was excavated. The brick-built ground-floor and timbered attic were of 17thcentury date. The northern wing was probably built in the late 18th century and a western extension was added in the early 19th century. Conservatories erected during the 19th century had been removed by 1963. The house was then a large stuccoed building of two storeys and attics. The front, which faced south, had two bays and there were three gables on the east. The building, which housed Kingsgate school from 1946 until 1961, was demolished in 1963. (fn. 90)

In addition to the freehold manors and estates, there were three mainly copyhold farms south of Kingsbury Road - Bush farm, Little Bush farm, and Townsend. (fn. 91) The southernmost was Little Bush farm, which lay mostly west of Salmon Street, intermingled with the demesne lands of Hill farm. The core of the estate was a medieval tenement, called Edwins after the family which held it in the late 13th and 14th centuries. In 1276-7 Thomas Edwin held ½ virgate and 1 a. for 3s. 1¾d. rent and 9½d. services from Edgware manor. (fn. 92) The Edwins disappear from the court rolls in the late 14th century (fn. 93) and in 1426 a tenement and ½ virgate, described as once Richard Edwin's, were held by John Lynford for 3s. rent and 11½d. services. (fn. 94) When Lynford died in 1434, Edwins was inherited by his daughter, Agnes, and her husband, Richard Edward, whence it descended to their son, John Edward, and his wife Joan. In 1463 Joan and her second husband, John Burton of Fulham, conveyed Edwins to William and Agnes Shepherd. (fn. 95) In 1572 Thomas Shepherd surrendered it to Vincent Poynter, draper of London, who in 1574 conveyed 9½ a. to Robert Norton and 13½ a. to John Franklin. The property was united again in 1579 when Franklin conveyed his portion to Thomas Scudamore (Skidmore), who had already received the other portion from William Norton in 1575. (fn. 96)

Thomas Scudamore extended the estate. He acquired Warrens, 11 a. joining Edwins on the north, from his brother Richard in 1587, inherited 47 a. about Kingsbury Green after the death of his father, Erasmus, in 1580, and acquired another 26 a. there in 1578 and 1595. (fn. 97) In 1597 he had an estate of 107 a., consisting of Edwins in the southwest and several medieval tenements around Kingsbury Green - Jack Johns, Collins, Payces, and Brasiers; a strip of land, called Stonepits, Barefield, and Hay Hills, ran along Buck Lane from the green to Hay Lane. (fn. 98) In 1604 Thomas acquired another 4 a., Hog Hills, adjoining it. (fn. 99) Thomas Scudamore died in 1626, leaving his property to several of his six sons and five daughters. (fn. 1) His eldest son, Henry, inherited most of the land to the east of Buck Lane, which he conveyed to John Scudamore esquire of Chalkhill in 1627. (fn. 2) John, another of Thomas's sons, usually called 'gentleman' to distinguish him from the John Scudamore of Chalkhill, inherited 67 a., including Edwins. He also acquired 6 a. from his sister Ann in 1627 and 6 a. after his brother Francis's death in 1631. (fn. 3) After John's death c. 1653, his property was held by his widow, Mary, (fn. 4) until her death in 1669, when it was divided between their daughters, Katharine and Elizabeth. (fn. 5)

Edwins, which was held by Katharine, passed in 1691 to Samuel Twinn, whose daughter, Ann, surrendered it to William Thorpe of St. Clement Danes (City of Westminster) on the death of her father in 1731. (fn. 6) When William's son, Thomas Thorpe of St. Marylebone, died in 1782, the estate passed by will to trustees who conveyed it to Thomas Furnell in 1783. (fn. 7) Furnell died in 1802, leaving his property in trust for his wife's adopted daughter, Ursula Desting. In accordance with Ursula's will, proved 1814, the property was sold in 1820 to Francis Stubbs, coach-maker of Long Acre. (fn. 8)

John Scudamore's other daughter, Elizabeth, and her husband, John Owen, inherited the rest of his property, mostly concentrated around Kingsbury Green. (fn. 9) By 1698 it was in the hands of Thomas Crane (fn. 10) and in 1716 it passed to Mary Rawlings. Mary and Charlotte Rawlings were in possession in 1770 and in 1773 Mary and her husband, Bisby Lambert, surrendered their interest to Charlotte and her husband, John Carter. (fn. 11) In 1806 Carter conveyed 22 a. at Kingsbury Green and Buck Lane to Francis Stubbs and another 9 a., originally part of the Edwins estate, to William Evans. Evans surrendered it in 1817 to Stubbs, (fn. 12) who accumulated other property between 1809 and 1839 (fn. 13) and in 1839 had an estate of 108 a., consisting of Edwins in the south-west and scattered fields in central and northern Kingsbury. (fn. 14) After Stubbs's death in 1843, his property was sold by trustees under his will. All Souls College bought Edwins (44 a.) in 1843 and another 5 a. in 1845; (fn. 15) 36 a. were sold in 1845 to William Field, who mortgaged them in 1882; (fn. 16) 25 a. in north-eastern Kingsbury were sold in 1844 to John H. Essex. (fn. 17)

Edwins or Little Bush farm was normally leased out. Although houses, probably fronting Salmon Street, were attached to both Edwins and Warrens in the Middle Ages, they had disappeared by 1597. A cottage was built on Newlands, a field bounded by Salmon Street in the east, Richards on the north, and Edwins on the south, between 1597 and 1631. (fn. 18) Little Bush farm-house was built by Stubbs on the site of the cottage between 1823, when he added it to the Edwins estate, (fn. 19) and 1835. (fn. 20) The farm-house was bombed during the Second World War and the site subsequently let on building leases. (fn. 21)

Bush or Big Bush farm lay west of the junction of Salmon Street with Slough Lane, its lands bounded on the south by those of Little Bush farm and on the north by those of Pipers farm. Bush farm originated in a copyhold tenement called Richards, after the family which held it in the late 13th and 14th centuries. (fn. 22) In 1426 it was a tenement and ½ virgate held from Edgware manor for 5s. 11d. rent and 1s. 5½d. services by Richard Edward and John Lynford. (fn. 23) After John Lynford's death in 1434 the property was divided between his daughters, Agnes, wife of Richard Edward, and Alice, wife of Richard Page. (fn. 24) Agnes's descendants held half Richards until 1466 when her grandson, John Edward, and his mother, Joan Burton, conveyed it to William Shepherd. (fn. 25) Both halves were united in the hands of Richard Shepherd by 1482. (fn. 26) In 1541 William Shepherd, draper of London, surrendered the reversion to Richard Shelley, (fn. 27) who had apparently entered the property by 1551 when he surrendered it to the use of himself and his wife Agnes for life with remainder to Agnes's son, John James of Hampstead. (fn. 28) James, who took possession after Shelley's death in 1559, conveyed the estate to John Franklin in 1565. In 1585 Franklin surrendered it to William Marsh of Willesden, who in 1592 conveyed it to Robert Golding, baker of Westminster. (fn. 29) In 1597 Golding had an estate of 37 a., consisting of Richards (32 a.), a farm-house and land stretching in a narrow band from Slough Lane to the border with Harrow, and of Seakins, at the junction of Hay Lane and Stag Lane. (fn. 30) After Robert Golding's death in 1630, Richards passed to his daughter, Elizabeth, wife of Charles Dethwick, (fn. 31) and in 1714 Charles Dethwick of Holborn sold it to Joseph Stent, also of Holborn. (fn. 32) Stent's son, Matthew, conveyed it to William Harrison in 1747. (fn. 33) On the death of Mary Harrison in 1834, the estate passed by will to her nephews, William Harrison Ashby and Edward Ashby. (fn. 34) In 1873 it passed to George H. R. Harrison. (fn. 35)

The estate was leased out in 1464, (fn. 36) and, except under Samuel Harrison in the early 19th century, was probably always leased out by its owners from the 17th century, if not earlier. (fn. 37) A house was part of Richards at least since 1426. (fn. 38) It was depicted in 1597 as a farm with buildings on three sides of a yard and bordering orchards, set well back from the road. (fn. 39) In 1928-34 it was a two-storeyed, plain plastered building with a slate roof, probably dating from the 18th century, flanked by large wooden barns. (fn. 40) The farm-house was demolished shortly before 1947. (fn. 41)

The lands of Townsend farm lay intermingled with those of Hyde farm, south of Kingsbury Road on the eastern border with Hendon. The farm originated in a copyhold estate built up by a branch of the Chalkhill family in the 15th century. The farm-house, in 1426 a cottage called Perrys (le Pyryes), (fn. 42) probably originated as the tenement belonging to the Perry family, which held land in Kingsbury in the late 13th and 14th centuries. (fn. 43) Although most of the Perry lands were lost to the family by the 1330s, (fn. 44) the cottage was held by Christine Perry (atte Pyrye), who was presented for leyrwite by the homage of Kingsbury in 1330 and who married Henry Page in 1333. (fn. 45) In 1426 Perry's cottage was held by Ralph Chalkhill from Edgware manor for 5s. rent. Chalkhill also held Withy lands, 10 a. east of Townsend Lane, in 1426 a quartron or quarter-virgate held from Edgware manor for 1s. 5d. rent, once part of Robert Leman's land. (fn. 46) Between 1444 and 1446 Chalkhill acquired Silverlands, part of ½ virgate once held by the Clark family, from John Mosshatch (Mussach). (fn. 47) In 1462 Ralph Chalkhill's son, Peter, conveyed all these lands to William Shepherd, (fn. 48) whose son, Robert, had by 1502 acquired Sales croft, once part of Robert Leman's estate but held by the Hamond family since 1426. (fn. 49) John Shepherd surrendered the reversion to the estate to John Lamb of Tokyngton in 1542. (fn. 50) In 1597 his son, John Lamb of Hatton (E. Bedfont) had an estate of 27 a. in scattered fields on either sides of Townsend Lane, with one field, Hog Hills, north of Kingsbury Road. (fn. 51)

In 1604 John Lamb conveyed the estate to Henry Townsend, who was already the lessee of part of it. Townsend surrendered Hog Hills to Thomas Scudamore and the rest of the estate to Jon Franklin. (fn. 52) Franklin split the estate still further, conveying most of it in 1629 to Richard Collett and a small portion in 1638 to Laurence Davis, merchant tailor of London. (fn. 53) Collett's lands descended to his son, Matthew, who conveyed them in 1708 to John Oxton of St. Stephen (Herts.); Oxton surrendered them in 1711 to Alice Field of Paddington, upon whose death in 1719 the property descended to her sisters and heirs, Margaret Robinson and Ann Ingle, who conveyed them to William Harrison of Brent Bridge, Hendon. (fn. 54) Laurence Davis's portion passed to William Williams between 1672 and 1698, to Francis Newman in 1700 and, together with other property acquired by Newman, to William Harrison in 1752. (fn. 55) Harrison bought Clarks croft, 9 a. south of Wood Lane, from Henry, duke of Chandos, in 1753. (fn. 56) The combined estate thus formed, 44 a., remained in the hands of the Harrison family until 1856, when it passed to William Field, who secured its enfranchisement. (fn. 57) In 1858 Field exchanged two fields east of Townsend Lane with All Souls for two fields adjoining the farm-house west of the lane. (fn. 58) Between 1858 and 1866 a field at Salmon Street was exchanged with St. Paul's for 9 a. between Wood Lane and Townsend Lane. (fn. 59)

Richard Collett in the 1660s (fn. 60) and Samuel Harrison in 1819 (fn. 61) occupied the farm but most owners leased it out. In 1604 and 1713 the lessees were Townsends, (fn. 62) and leases may even have become hereditary in the family which gave its name to the farm and lane. (fn. 63) There was probably a building on the site west of Townsend Lane from the 14th century. It was described as a cottage in 1426 (fn. 64) but was depicted in 1597 as three buildings around a courtyard facing Townsend Lane. (fn. 65) It was, however, probably always a small house. In 1664 only 4 hearths were assessed (fn. 66) and in 1839 it was called a cottage. (fn. 67) The house was demolished and the estate developed for industry in the north and housing in the south during the 1920s. (fn. 68)

Most of the land north of Kingsbury Road belonged to farms which developed from copyhold tenements. Two 19th-century farms in the northwest, Gore farm and Valley farm, (fn. 69) originated in an estate built up by the Lyon family. Boyfords Heal or Hole, 7½ a. on the border with Harrow, was held by the family in 1395 (fn. 70) and Small Withies, 16 a. south of it, was in the hands of William Lyon in 1426. (fn. 71) By 1441 John Lyon of Preston had acquired an interest in Gore field, 37 a. north of Kingsbury Road, (fn. 72) which is identifiable with ½ virgate held by Richard Lorchon alias Page (fl. 1339) from Edgware manor for 3s. rent and 1s. 1d. services. (fn. 73) When John Lyon died in 1457 he was seised of two ½ virgates, Small Withies, and two crofts which were lost to the Shepherd family in 1492. (fn. 74)

In 1580 John and Joan Lyon acquired Half Yards and Hogsheads, 31 a. south of Kingsbury Road near the border with Harrow. (fn. 75) This land originated in ½ virgate held c. 1280 by Laurence Page (fn. 76) and in 1426 by Alice Savuy from Edgware manor for 3s. rent and 1s. 1d. works. (fn. 77) John Barnville of Tokyngton was in possession by 1441 (fn. 78) and the property descended to his daughter Elizabeth (d. 1515) and her husband Sir Thomas Frowyk, and to their daughter Frideswide (d. 1528) and her husband, Sir Thomas Cheyney (d. 1558). Their son Thomas (d. 1544) was succeeded by his sisters, Anne, Katharine, and Frances. (fn. 79) The interest of Anne (d. 1562), wife of Sir John Parrott, passed to her son, Thomas, who sold it in 1574 to William Nicholas, who conveyed it in 1576 to Paul Pope, engraver. The other two sisters conceded their interest to Pope, who surrendered the property in 1579 to John Wickham, gentleman of Horsmonden (Kent). Wickham surrendered it to Robert Strensham, who in 1580 conveyed it to John and Joan Lyon. (fn. 80) In 1581 the Lyons acquired Great Framesland, 12 a. north of Kingsbury Road, from William Crosley. (fn. 81)

In 1597 Joan Lyon, widow, held 116 a. in west Kingsbury, mostly situated on either side of Kingsbury Road but including fields in the extreme north-west of the parish. (fn. 82) The estate, which bordered Harrow parish, was farmed as an extension of the Lyons' farm in Preston. (fn. 83) The land in Kingsbury was not included in John Lyon's endowment of Harrow School although wood for fuel was, according to the statutes of the school, to be taken from his estate there. (fn. 84) In 1594 Richard Millett of Hayes, John Lyon's nephew and heir, surrendered the reversion to the Kingsbury portion to three people, thus ensuring the break-up of the estate after Joan Lyon's death in 1608. (fn. 85)

The reversion to 33 a., consisting of Picked Acre in the north-west and the bulk of Gore field on the border with Harrow, was surrendered in 1594 to Robert Pollett, who conveyed it to John Workhouse in 1597. Workhouse surrendered it in 1598 to Cuthbert Lyne, (fn. 86) whose son, Humphrey, conveyed the property in 1610 to Henry Scudamore. Scudamore surrendered Picked Acre to William Page of Harrow Weald in 1615 and Gore field to Clement Scudamore in 1620. Gore field was conveyed to Richard Nicholl of South Mimms in 1624, (fn. 87) to Richard Haley in 1652, (fn. 88) and to Robert Tanner in 1655. (fn. 89) Robert's son, Thomas, citizen of London, sold the estate in 1678 to Nathaniel Walter of Kenton, (fn. 90) who sold it in 1714 to James Brydges, later duke of Chandos, (fn. 91) in whose family it remained until 1800, when it was sold to Christopher Hill the younger of Stanmore. (fn. 92) Hill sold it to Benjamin Weall in 1805. Under the will, dated 1818, of John Weall, five coparceners, members of the Rice family, were admitted to the property in 1861, when they sold it to John Procter of Rickmansworth. The estate was enfranchised in 1874. (fn. 93) Dr. Arthur Calcutta White was the owner in 1906. (fn. 94)

For most of the 18th century Gore field formed one farm with Lower farm, the demesne lands of Kingsbury manor leased by the Brydges family. A barn fronting Kingsbury Road had been recently erected in 1714. (fn. 95) A farm-house, Gore Farm, was built on the site in the late 19th century. (fn. 96) It was probably demolished after 1928 when the farm-land was given over to building development. (fn. 97)

The reversion to 26 a., which joined Gore farm-lands on the east, was surrendered by Richard Millett in 1594 to Edward Pollett. (fn. 98) Pollett conveyed the land in sections to Thomas Marsh in 1638, 1639, and 1640. (fn. 99) Marsh conveyed it to Edward Nicholl and Susan Child in 1683 and Nicholl's widow, Susannah, surrendered it to Thomas Coleman, chandler of Westminster, in 1706. (fn. 1) The estate descended to Coleman's nephew, Thomas Norris, in 1756 and he apparently sold it in the same year to Isaac Mencelin of Cricklewood, who conveyed it to Thomas Heming in 1797. (fn. 2)

The reversion to the rest of Joan Lyon's estate was surrendered by Richard Millett in 1594 to Daniel Pate. His estate consisted of 57 a., made up of fields on the north-west border with Harrow and Half Yards and Hogsheads, south of Kingsbury Road. (fn. 3) The fields on the north-west border were lost to the estate during the earlier 17th century, but the rest was conveyed in 1639 by Daniel Pate to Daniel Brown, who conveyed it in 1647 to John Scudamore. (fn. 4) By 1672 it was in the hands of the heirs of Sir Francis Prujean M.D. (Privian). (fn. 5)

In 1672 the Prujean family had an estate of 95 a., which they had acquired from various sources in the mid 17th century. Adjoining Half Yards and Hogsheads on the east were Masons or Perry fields (20 a.). The name Masons was probably taken from John Lyon, mason, the holder in 1426, (fn. 6) and Perry fields, while possibly derived from pear trees, (fn. 7) was probably named after the medieval Perry family. (fn. 8) William of Aldenham, gold-beater of London (fl. 1333), (fn. 9) held the property which in 1426 was described as a tenement and ½ virgate held from Edgware manor for 2s. 10¼d. rent and 1s. 1d. services. (fn. 10) The property was held by the Lyon family in 1426 and 1457 (fn. 11) but it was granted by the lord of the manor in 1476 to Robert Mosshatch (fn. 12) and surrendered by his son, John, in 1488 to Thomas Page. (fn. 13) The Pages retained it until Richard Page died in 1649, leaving his daughters, Mary and Prudence, as coheirs. (fn. 14) In 1640 Richard Page had acquired Honey Sloughs, 6 a. on the border with Harrow, an under tenement which had been in the hands of the Hamond family at least since 1495. (fn. 15) Between 1649 and 1672 Page's estate passed to the Prujeans. (fn. 16)

The Prujean family acquired 37 a. lying between Kingsbury Green and Hay Lane between 1641 and 1672. (fn. 17) Randolfs tenement at Kingsbury Green, of which Richard Randolf died seised in 1331, (fn. 18) and which was held by the Shepherd family from 1512 until 1641, (fn. 19) was conveyed by William Peters to Francis Prujean in 1660. (fn. 20) Henry Scudamore's property - Brasiers, Stonepits, Dawes, Hay Hills, and Hog Hills (35 a.) - was surrendered in 1627 to John Scudamore of Chalkhill, (fn. 21) who conveyed it to Prujean in 1647. (fn. 22)

The estate thus formed remained in the hands of the Prujean family until 1789 when it was sold by trustees to George Heming, goldsmith of Bond Street (Westminster). (fn. 23)

In 1854 the combined estate was divided among five members of the Heming family as coparceners, who secured enfranchisement of the copyhold in 1869. (fn. 24) It was still referred to as the Hemings estate, owned by trustees under the will of Richard Heming, in 1906 (fn. 25) and 1916. (fn. 26) In 1839 Richard Heming held 158 a., grouped in two blocks, one in western Kingsbury on either side of Kingsbury Road and the other stretching along Buck Lane from Kingsbury Green to Hay Lane. (fn. 27) The two blocks were usually leased out separately. There was a barn on the western block, north of Kingsbury Road, to the east of Gore farm, by 1729-38. (fn. 28) Vale or Valley Farm was built on the site in the late 19th century. (fn. 29) Most of the farm-land had been developed by 1935 but the house itself was not demolished until after the Second World War. (fn. 30) The other block of land was administered from Brasiers, a freehold messuage which existed by 1521. (fn. 31) In 1597 it was a large house north of Kingsbury Green. (fn. 32) The house was still there in 1729-38 (fn. 33) but it had been pulled down by 1789. (fn. 34) The farm-land had been given over to housing by 1935. (fn. 35)

The Hamond family began to build up an estate next to Gorelands in the 15th century. In 1426 John Hamond held land which had once belonged to Geoffrey Roe (fl. 1330), (fn. 36) including a tenement and three quartrons held from Edgware manor for 4s. 6d. rent and 1s. 3¼d. services. Richard Hamond held, jointly with John Lyon of Preston, one virgate called Crabsland Gore field from Edgware manor for 6s. rent and 1s. 5½d. services; (fn. 37) it was part of an estate held by John John in the late 14th century. (fn. 38) Both holdings were united by 1482 in the hands of Simon Hamond, (fn. 39) who conveyed them to Richard Shepherd in 1498. (fn. 40) In 1597 John Shepherd had an estate of 64 a., farming an almost continuous strip of land from Crabsland, through Broad field to the southern side of Roe Green. (fn. 41)

John Shepherd conveyed the estate in 1599 to John Bull, (fn. 42) who in 1621 surrendered it to the use of his wife, Katharine, for life with remainder to be divided among his sons, Laurence, Dickens, John, and Francis, and his daughters, Katharine and Frances. Portions were surrendered by Laurence to Henry Haley the elder in 1623, by Frances to Thomas Marsh of Hendon in 2633 and to Henry Haley the younger in 1624, and by Katharine to John Edlin of Great and Thomas Ewer of Little Stanmore in 1624. There was a reorganization of field boundaries in 1624 and Edlin and Ewer surrendered their portion to Henry Haley the younger of Hendon. (fn. 43) By 1641 the whole of the Bull estate had been divided between Thomas Marsh and Henry Haley. (fn. 44)

Henry Haley's portion, consisting of Crabsland and Little Rowens in north-west Kingsbury, passed to John Haley's daughter, Mary, in 1675 (fn. 45) and had been divided by 1698 among Lydia Brown, John Marsh, and Henry Haley. (fn. 46) Lydia Brown, who held about 12 a., died in 1729 and was succeeded by her daughter, Rebecca Savage; (fn. 47) when Rebecca died in 1757, her portion passed to her granddaughter, Lydia Wheeler, (fn. 48) whose descendant Thomas Wheeler obtained enfranchisement in 1856. (fn. 49) John Marsh conveyed his portion, about 10 a., to Daniel Weedon in 1744, in whose family it remained until the death of James Weedon in 1799, when it passed to his nephew, John Nicoll. (fn. 50) About 28 a. remained in the hands of the Haley family until 1809, when John Haley conveyed them to John Nicoll. Nicoll alienated Little Rowens to Francis Stubbs in 1809 (fn. 51) and the rest of the estate to Philip Rundell of Ludgate Hill (City of London) in 1819. In 1829 it passed by will to Joseph Neeld, (fn. 52) who in 1839 had an estate of 46 a. in north-west Kingsbury; (fn. 53) Sir John Neeld was in possession in 1861. (fn. 54)

The estate held by Thomas Marsh in 1641 comprised most of the former Roe holding, centred upon Roe Green. (fn. 55) In 1695 it was conveyed by Thomas Marsh of Roe Green to Thomas Nicoll the younger of Totteridge (Herts.). In 1711 the Nicoll family conveyed the estate to John Cranmer of Eccleshall (Staffs.), from whom it passed in 1718 to John Beckett, goldsmith of Holborn, and his wife Mary. Beckett was dead by 1733 and Mary married Alexander Ward of Whitehall (Westminster) in 1736. (fn. 56) Trustees under the will of Thomas Ward (d. 1773) sold the estate to William Allsop. (fn. 57) In 1839 John Allsop had an estate of 62 a., mostly made up of the former Shepherd estate, but including some land between Bacon Lane and Stag Lane which had formed part of Grove farm in 1597. (fn. 58) John Thomas Allsop secured the estate's enfranchisement in 1878. (fn. 59) The estate, which was often leased out, (fn. 60) was centred on a house at Roe Green, approximately where Haydon Close now is. A house had probably stood there since the 14th century, (fn. 61) and, as Roe tenement, it was marked on the map of 1597. (fn. 62) It was assessed for 8 hearths in 1664. (fn. 63) By 1729-38 there were two houses on the site. (fn. 64) The northern one, which was probably the more important, was called Roes; that to the south seems to have been a farm-house. (fn. 65) In 1851 the southern one was still a farm-house, although for most of the later 19th century it was called Roe Green House. (fn. 66) In 1896 and 1914 its name was Fairfields. (fn. 67) The house, once again called Roegreen House, was still standing in 1970. (fn. 68) The house north of it, called Haydon House by 1887, (fn. 69) was demolished between the two World Wars. (fn. 70)

Grove farm in north-east Kingsbury originated in land held by the Grove family of Stanmore in the early 14th century. (fn. 71) It can probably be identified with ½ virgate held in 1276-7 by Richard Grove from Edgware manor for 2s. 11½d. rent and 9½d. services. (fn. 72) Richard almost certainly held land in north-east Kingsbury at the end of the 13th century, (fn. 73) which may have come to him through his marriage with Clarice, one of the coheirs of William Paris (d. 1271), (fn. 74) who had held 227 a., mostly in Kingsbury. (fn. 75) By 1426 Groves consisted of a messuage and virgate held from Edgware manor for 6s. rent and 1s. 7½d. services. It was then held by John Grove, who also held one quartron, Mill Hill, east of Townsend Lane, (fn. 76) which was lost to the estate by 1441 (fn. 77) and subsequently became part of Hyde farm. (fn. 78)

John Grove was in possession of Groves in 1461 (fn. 79) and he was still alive in 1470 but in 1475 John Wise quitclaimed rights in John Grove's property to Richard Jordan, who in 1479 surrendered Groves, then described as 30 a. 'in divers parcels' to William Jordan and his wife Joan. (fn. 80) They extended the estate, acquiring Grove field, 12 a. abutting Groves on the east and south, between 1462 and 1482, (fn. 8l) and Lemans or Bush fields, 12 a. adjoining Groves on the east, from John Hopcock (Hobcok), and Trigsbough, 2 a. west of Stag Lane, from John Wrench in 1485. William Jordan died in 1486 and in 1488 Joan and her second husband, Hugh Morland, received Long mead, 12 a. north of Groves, and in 1489 Short crofts (8 a.) from John Wrench. (fn. 82)

In 1496-7 Hugh and Joan Morland conveyed the estate to Richard Stone and John Edward and in 1528 Edward surrendered it to his own use for life, with reversion to Joan Pluckington and her heirs. When Joan, who married John Nicholl of Hendon and then one Harding, died seised of the property in 1578, it passed to her son, Alan Nicholl of Hendon Hall, usually called Alan Nicholl the elder. (fn. 83) Alan had already inherited land at Redhill after his grandfather's death in 1558, (fn. 84) and he was active in building up the estate. He acquired Little Dawes and Hay Hills, south of Hay Lane, in 1581 but sold them to Thomas Scudamore in 1589. In that year he extended his estate westward by exchanging land in Edgware for some of John Marsh's land in Kingsbury. (fn. 85) By 1597 Alan Nicholl the elder had an estate of 162 a. in north-east Kingsbury. (fn. 86)

On his death-bed in December 1599, Alan Nicholl surrendered 80 a., mostly comprising the northern part of the estate, but including Bush fields, to his son Edward, and Hobcocks cottage in Hay Lane to his wife, Parnel, for life with remainder to Edward. (fn. 87) Alan's death was presented in 1600 and his heirs to the rest of the property were his granddaughters, Agnes and Parnel, daughters of his deceased eldest son, Alan. But in 1597 and 1599 the elder Alan had mortgaged most of Groves to Cuthbert Lyne (d. 1608), grocer of Westminster, who entered the property after Alan's death. Although Alan's widow and granddaughters brought an action against Lyne, who, they alleged, foreclosed by fraud, they were unsuccessful (fn. 88) and by 1609 they were in possession of only 16 a. at High Tunworth, west of Stag Lane. (fn. 89)

Cuthbert Lyne's son, Humphrey, sold Groves in 1610 to Thomas Gawen of Hornchurch (Essex), (fn. 90) who had acquired Bush fields from Edward Nicholl by 1631. (fn. 91) Gawen conveyed the estate to William Bell of Westminster in 1637. (fn. 92) Bell was dead by 1658 (fn. 93) and Robert Nicholl was in possession by 1672, (fn. 94) although by what title is unknown. In 1698 Groves was in the hands of William Nicholl, who also held 24 a. to the west of Roe Green and Bacon Lane, which had come to him from another branch of the Nicholl family. (fn. 95) When William died in 1729, the estate passed to his sisters and coheirs, Ellen Nicholl and Ann Coghill, a widow. (fn. 96) Ann Coghill's daughter, Sarah, wife of Robert Hucks of St. George's, Bloomsbury, inherited her mother's moiety in 1742 (fn. 97) and her aunt's in 1759. (fn. 98) Groves, once again united, descended to her son, Robert Hucks, in 1771 (fn. 99) and thence to Sarah and Ann Noyes, coparceners by descent from Robert Nicholl (d. 1690) and Robert Hucks (d. 1815) in 1815. Ann predeceased Sarah, who had an estate of 93 a. in 1839. Sarah died in 1844, leaving Groves as moieties to John Smith and Henry Hucks Gibbs, heirs respectively of Robert Nicholl and Robert Hucks. (fn. 1)

Smith's portion passed in 1862 to William Lovejoy and William Shelleys Wood. In 1871 Thomas John Bolton, who had been a lessee from 1855, acquired both moieties and in 1873 he secured the enfranchisement of the estate, (fn. 2) which in 1874 consisted of 94 a. (fn. 3) Mrs. Bolton lived at the Grove in 1880 (fn. 4) but by c. 1890 it was occupied, and possibly owned, by Michael Walton. (fn. 5) From 1892 until 1904 it was described as William Walton's. (fn. 6) Most of the land was sold for industry after the First World War. (fn. 7)

The estate was leased out from the early 17th century, (fn. 8) although Humphrey Lyne in 1609 (fn. 9) and the Bolton family in the 19th century lived in the house. (fn. 10) A messuage, first mentioned in connexion with the estate in 1426, (fn. 11) was already called Groves Place in 1441. (fn. 12) It was depicted in 1597 as a typical farm-house - a yard enclosed on three sides by buildings, two other buildings, a pond and orchard and two barns on the edge of the home field. (fn. 13) In 1608 Alan Nicholl's granddaughters accused Cuthbert Lyne of 'putting down and altering the mansion house'. (fn. 14) A year later the house was broken into and goods worth £14 11s., mostly linen, clothing, curtains and carpets, were stolen from Humphrey Lyne. (fn. 15) Groves was assessed for 9 hearths in 1664. (fn. 16) Grove Park consisted of an Elizabethan or Jacobean core with 18th-century additions. It had a tower and a long, east-facing drawing-room. There were also hot-houses which were used for market-gardening in the 1920s. The house served as a private boys' school from c. 1923 until the Second World War. It then remained empty and became dilapidated; it was demolished shortly after the war. (fn. 17)

In the 15th century the Seakin family began to build up an estate in the north-east corner of Kingsbury, in the area known as Tunworth or Redhill and in Colmans Dean, which had probably formed part of the manor of Stanmore Chenduit in the 13th century. (fn. 18) In 1426 William Seakin held a messuage, quartron, croft, and parcel of land and, jointly with John Hamond, another messuage and virgate. (fn. 19) The property was scattered throughout the parish but it included land adjoining Edgware Road at Bakers Tunworth and Colmans Dean. Peter Seakin acquired 12 a. at Redhill from Thomas Molesley in 1465 and 16 a. in Colmans Dean from William and Cecily Edmond in 1466. (fn. 20) After the death of Peter's widow, Alice, in 1486, the property, then about 100 a., was divided. Part was sold to maintain an obit and charity in accordance with Peter's will and the rest descended to his heirs. (fn. 21)

About 30 a., including Warrens (fn. 22) and Seakins tenement at Hay Lane, were sold to John Shepherd, and about 26 a. at Redhill was sold before 1500-1 to Thomas Nicholl, (fn. 23) who had acquired Honeymans Tunworth next to it from Simon Hamond in 1493. (fn. 24) Thomas Nicholl's widow Joan held his property until her death in 1527, when it reverted to his daughters and heirs, Christine Norris, Agnes Greenhill, and Margaret Bellamy, all widows, and to his grandson Alan Nicholl (d. 1558), son of his presumably deceased daughter Joan Nicholl. Two years later the sisters surrendered all their rights in the property to Alan Nicholl, (fn. 25) whose grandson, usually called Alan Nicholl the elder, succeeded him in 1558. (fn. 26) When this Alan Nicholl the elder inherited his mother's lands in 1578, Redhill became part of Groves until the division of his estates after his death in 1600. (fn. 27) Redhill, which was part of the land which passed to Alan's son, Edward, was surrendered by Edward to John Nicholl of Cookes, Hendon, in 1605. (fn. 28) Between 1641 and 1672 it passed to John Haley (fn. 29) and in 1700 it was conveyed by Richard Haley to John Page of Wembley. (fn. 30)

Peter Seakin's executor, Thomas Ederych, retained, in defiance of Seakin's will, 23 a. of Seakin's estate at Colmans Dean, which descended in 1538 to John Ederych's daughter, Elizabeth, wife of Robert Nicholl. (fn. 31) When she died in 1590, she was succeeded by her son, usually called Alan Nicholl the younger to distinguish him from the holder of Groves and Redhill. (fn. 32) Alan conveyed Colmans Dean to Randolph Marsh in 1598 and in 1700 Robert Marsh surrendered it to John Page of Wembley. (fn. 33) John Page thus had a compact estate of 59 a. in north-east Kingsbury. When Richard Page died in 1760, the estate passed to his sister Ann Salter, widow, of Wembley, and his niece, Susanna, wife of Richard Page of Harrow. (fn. 34) Susanna and her son, yet another Richard Page, conveyed the estate in 1780 to Isaac Mencelin, (fn. 35) whose widow, Harriet, and other trustees under his will, sold it on his death in 1787 to John Nicoll (fn. 36) of the Hyde in Hendon. (fn. 37)

The remainder of Peter Seakin's property left after the sale of Warrens, Redhill, and Colmans Dean in 1486, about 24 a. on the border with Little Stanmore, passed to his sister and heir, Rose, and her husband, George Collins. (fn. 38) In 1519 their son, George, conveyed it to Richard Tyler, who conveyed 6 a. to Henry Platt and 18 a. to Roger Shepherd in 1543. (fn. 39) Robert Shepherd surrendered the 18 a. in 1593 to John Franklin, whose son, Richard, acquired 9 a. adjoining it on the east in 1594 through his wife, Margaret, née Spurling. (fn. 40) Richard Franklin conveyed the combined estate to Nicholas Holland, minister of Little Stanmore, in 1653. (fn. 41) The property was split up among various holders during the late 17th and early 18th centuries, but, together with Piggsland, 17 a. joining it on the south-west, had been reunited in the hands of the Pike family by 1732. (fn. 42) John and Ann Pike conveyed the combined estate in 1770 to William Hallet, whose grandson surrendered it to Thomas Day, oilman of Aldersgate Street, in 1788. (fn. 43) Day conveyed it to John Nicoll in 1802. (fn. 44)

By 1819 John Nicoll had an estate of 140 a. in north-east Kingsbury and 58 a. joining it in Little Stanmore. (fn. 45) Apart from the former Seakin lands, acquired in 1787 and 1802, (fn. 46) Nicoll had acquired Coghills in 1793, (fn. 47) Threshbeing Acre in 1799, (fn. 48) Bean croft (the 6 a. conveyed by Richard Tyler to Henry Platt in 1543), (fn. 49) in 1804, (fn. 50) and High Tunworth, part of Alan Nicholl's estate which had descended to his granddaughters, (fn. 51) in 1805. (fn. 52)

By the 1830s, however, John Nicoll (d. 1839) was in financial difficulties. (fn. 53) He sold 2: a. west of Stag Lane to Francis Stubbs in 1830 and 25 a. at Colmans Dean to Jason Smith in 1833, and mortgaged 50 a. on the Stanmore border in 1834. (fn. 54) His executors sold Threshbeing Acre (4 a.) to All Souls in 1842 (fn. 55) and 115 a. on either side of the Stanmore border to John Hezekiah Essex in 1844. (fn. 56) Essex (d. 1848) also acquired Francis Stubbs's lands in north-east Kingsbury in 1844, giving him an estate of 140 a. in Kingsbury and Little Stanmore. (fn. 57) On the death of his widow, Margaret, in 1853 the land passed to her nephew, Thomas Cowper, who secured its enfranchisement in 1866. (fn. 58) The trustees of Cowper Essex were in possession in 1875. (fn. 59) In 1930 the owners of Burnt Oak farm on the Stanmore border were Henry Boot & Sons Ltd. (fn. 60)

Redhill farm (34 a.), which was encumbered with the marriage settlement of 1819, was sold by Samuel Nicoll, one of the trustees appointed by John Nicoll, to John Hetherington, the lessee, in 1875. (fn. 61) The lands at Redhill and Colmans Dean were leased out at least since the early 17th century, and, until the end of that century, were farmed with neighbouring land belonging to other estates. (fn. 62) A windmill was marked next to Edgware Road at Redhill c. 1677 (fn. 63) and a windmill and cottage, mentioned in 1684, (fn. 64) were recorded in 1729-38. (fn. 65) John Page referred in 1716 to his farm called Colmans Dean at Redhill, where his lessee occupied a house and barns in 1728. (fn. 66) The farmstead was marked on the maps of 1819 (fn. 67) and 1839. (fn. 68) By 1875 the original homestead was being used as a foreman's dwellinghouse and a 'modern villa residence' had been built beside it. (fn. 69) Redhill Farm disappeared between 1926 (fn. 70) and 1938. (fn. 71)

A barn had been erected at Burnt Oak in the extreme north-east corner of Kingsbury by 1844 (fn. 72) and a farm had been built there by 1865. (fn. 73) There was still a cowkeeper there in 1922, (fn. 74) but the farm was probably demolished during the 1930s.

In a parish where most of the larger landowners were absent, leasehold estates were very important. In 1317 Kingsbury manor was leased for life to James Palmer, mercer of London, (fn. 75) and in 1434 to John Barnville, lord of the neighbouring manor of Tokyngton. (fn. 76) A local family, the Shepherds, were the lessees from 1450 until 1618. (fn. 77) The lessee in the mid 17th century was John Wingfield, also a native of Kingsbury, (fn. 78) who sold the lease in 1664 to Daniel Waldo, presumably a member of the London merchant family which had property in Harrow. (fn. 79) The lease of Kingsbury manor descended to Daniel's sons, Edward (d. 1707) and Peter, who sold it in 1712 to James Brydges, later duke of Chandos (d. 1744), (fn. 80) who was building up an estate centred on Canons in Little Stanmore (q.v.). (fn. 81) His descendants continued to lease the manor lands until 1867. (fn. 82)

From 1700 until the 1860s Kingsbury manor demesne lands were sub-leased. In 1712 there were four under-tenants holding by 16- or 17-year leases. (fn. 83) Their four farms or estates remained the basic division of the demesne until well into the 19th century. The most important of the four was Hill farm, the southernmost block of land, consisting of about 118 a. on either side of Salmon Street, centred on Hill farm-house, the former home farm of the manor. (fn. 84) In 1788 it was a 'good, square brick house', with three barns, a stable, cow-house and other outbuildings. (fn. 85) The farm-house, with 3 a. surrounding it, was let on a building lease in 1960 and pulled down shortly afterwards. (fn. 86)

The second farm, Pipers, which took its name from an adjacent tenement, (fn. 87) consisted of about 47 a.-66 a. north of Great Bush farm. (fn. 88) The farmhouse, which was in existence by 1729-38, lay just outside the demesne lands. (fn. 89) Pipers ceased to be run as a separate farm after 1867 and by 1894 the farmhouse had been replaced by Fern Dene, which survived until after the Second World War. (fn. 90)

The third farm, called in the 19th century Lower or Hungry Down farm, consisted of 66 a.- 96 a. in north-west Kingsbury which was leased separately as early as 1438-9. (fn. 91) It was leased together with Gore fields after they had been acquired by the Brydges family. (fn. 92)

Shoelands, the fourth farm, grew out of Stratford Long (37 a.) in north-east Kingsbury which was leased separately in 1438-9. (fn. 93) There was a barn on the estate next to Edgware Road by 1729-38 (fn. 94) and a farm-house had been built there by 1864-5. (fn. 95) The farm still existed in 1917, (fn. 96) but a factory was already producing motor bodies there in 1914 (fn. 97) and the whole area was converted to factory development after the First World War. (fn. 98)

Except for the period 1584-94 (fn. 99) Hyde farm, 85 a. in 1597, (fn. 1) was always leased separately from the other All Souls estates. The Shepherd family leased Hyde farm in 1534-66 (fn. 2) and 1584-94, when both Hill and Hyde farms were leased by Thomas Shepherd. (fn. 3) Michael Page, a relation by marriage of the Shepherds, (fn. 4) was the lessee in 1597 (fn. 5) and 1620, (fn. 6) and Margaret Stockdale in the 1660s. (fn. 7) From 1779 until 1800 the lease was held by Maximilian Western of Cavendish Square (Westminster), (fn. 8) who probably sub-let it. Robert Selby, the lessee in 1807-39, (fn. 9) said that his father was the farmer there in 1771-4. (fn. 10) Other lessees included Harbut John Ward, builder of Blackfriars (City of London) in 1842, (fn. 11) John King, brewer of Southampton in 1849, (fn. 12) James Arbon in 1870, (fn. 13) and Henry Ward, horse-dealer of Edgware Road, 1880-1905. (fn. 14) A tenement was attached to the original Lorchons or Harnonds holding in the 14th century. (fn. 15) In 1597 the farm-house was a typical Elizabethan house with a main block and two projecting wings. There were three other buildings, possibly barns or labourers' cottages, about the yard. (fn. 16) Hyde Farm was assessed for 12 hearths in 1664. (fn. 17) The house was rebuilt in the late 18th or early 19th century and described in 1837 as a superior farm-house. (fn. 18) It was a plain, stuccoed building with two storeys and a slate roof. (fn. 19) In 1929 the site was let on a building lease and the house was demolished in 1932. (fn. 20)

Freren manor, including the rectory, tithes, (fn. 21) and seigneurial rights, was leased out by 1505 to a chaplain. (fn. 22) In 1524 it was leased to a layman, Guthlac Overton, gentleman, for 60 years, (fn. 23) but by 1540 the lease had passed to Richard Bellamy (fn. 24) and it was subsequently held by his son, William. (fn. 25) Other lessees were Michael Page (1588), (fn. 26) his son Richard (1589, 1640), (fn. 27) Ralph Hartley (1668), (fn. 28) John (1680, 1699) and Richard Prince (1711) of Flaunden (Herts.). (fn. 29) From 1540, if not earlier, Freren was leased to absentee lessees who held it as part of larger neighbouring estates and sub-leased to local farmers. The Bellamys and Pages were primarily concerned with Tokyngton and Uxendon and Hartley with Chalkhill and Findens. In 1720 Richard Prince sold the lease to James Brydges, duke of Chandos, whose descendants leased Freren until 1886. (fn. 30)

Until the late 19th century all the land in southern Kingsbury and Hendon was farmed by the underlessees as a single farm centred on Freren farmhouse. In 1886 it was divided into two farms: Freren (105 a.), which was leased directly to Frederick Reynolds, and the Hendon lands (85 a.), leased directly to Henry Ward. (fn. 31)

From 1333 the Coffers estate was always leased out, (fn. 32) usually among several people. (fn. 33) Lessees during the 16th century included members of the Shepherd (fn. 34) and Grove families. (fn. 35)

Footnotes

54 Harmer, Anglo-Saxon Writs, 344-5.
55 Reg. Regum Anglo-Norm, i, no. 89; ii, p. 392.
56 V.C.H.Mdx. i. 123.
57 C.P. 25(1)/146/10/139.
58 Harmer, Anglo-Saxon Writs, 497.
59 B. T. Harvey, 'Abbot Gervase de Blois and the feefarms of Westminster Abbey', Bull. Inst. Hist. Res. xl. 131.
60 Rot. Cur. Reg. (Rec. Com.), ii. 95; Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c76/116-17; c75/8.
61 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/2.
62 Ibid. /4, /7; c56/11-12a; c75/39.
63 C.P. 25(2)/27/182/7.
64 All Souls Coll., Hovenden map, portfolio II, no. 14.
65 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19.
66 Ibid.c78/187.
67 M.R.O., Acc. 276/6, where Scudamore is called 'gentleman', although he is usually distinguished from his namesake in rentals as 'esquire'. And cf. C 6/105/136; C 8/126/197.
68 C.P. 43/267 m. 17.
69 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c78/187b.
70 Ibid. c57/17, /20; C.P. 43/269 m. 17; M.L.R. 1714/ 5/69.
71 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c40/51.
72 C 78/1445 no. 1.
73 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c40/51, mm. 1-1d.
74 Ibid. c245/34z; Abstract of Returns of Char. Dons. 1786-8, H.C. 511, pp. 752-3 (1816), xvi(1).
75 M.R.O., Acc. 262/30.
76 9th Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 258, pp. 266-7 (1823), ix.
77 M.L.R. 1830/4/742.
78 M.R.O.,TA/KIN.
79 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c245/34z; Char. Com. file 205797/A1.
80 See p. 58.
81 Char. Com. file 205797/A1.
82 Kingsbury U.D.C., Wks. & Finance Cttee. Mins. (1900-2), 31, 47; O.S. Maps 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 13 (1914 edn.).
83 Kingsbury U.D.C., Min. Bk. (1915-22), 252.
84 See p. 54.
85 e.g. in 1649: C.P. 43/267 m. 17; in 1680: C 8/267/127.
86 M.L.R. 1757/2/254; 1830/41/742; M.R.O., TA/KIN.
87 M.R.O., Acc. 262/30; Kingsbury U.D.C., Wks. & Finance Cttee. Mins. (1900-2), 57.
88 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/2.
89 All Souls Coll., Hovenden map, portfolio II, no. 14.
90 Wemb. Hist. Soc., Acc. 412/4, Acc. 962; Wemb. Hist. Soc., Photo. Coll., Acc. 96/71, /9-10, /12, /14-17, /19-20, /23, /26, /28-29, /31-33; Wemb. Hist. Soc., Jnl. N.S. ii(4-6).
91 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 9, 10 (1873 edn.).
92 S.C. 11/439.
93 S.C. 2/188/54; Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/1, /3-5.
94 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
95 Ibid. c37/8, /9. See p. 63.
96 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18.
97 Ibid. c38/16; c39/18; c52, ct. bk., ff. 5d.-6, 7d.-8, 9-11d.; c56/11; c243/27.
98 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 12-14.
99 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19.
1 Bodl. MS. Rawl. B 389 b, ff. 85-86.
2 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c52, ct. bk. (1616-49). For the subsequent history of this land, see p. 65.
3 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c52, ct. bk. (1616-49).
4 Prob. 11/231 (P.C.C. 332 Brent, will of John Scudamore).
5 Bodl. MS. Rawl. B 389 b, ff. 85-86.
6 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c43, pp. 42-3; c57/20; c151/H/19.
7 Ibid. c151/H/2-4, /19-21, /23, /26-28; c245/34z.
8 Ibid. c151/H/5, /10, /43.
9 Ibid. c57/20.
10 Ibid. /25.
11 Ibid. c151/H/25; c245/34z.
12 Ibid. c53, ct. bk. (1805-30); c151/H/7, /35, /43.
13 Ibid. c46, pp. 158-9, 373-4; c53, ct. bks. (1805-30), (1831-61); c151/H/10, /13; /F/3.
14 M.R.O.,TA/KIN.
15 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c151/F/4-5; /H/15-16, /28, /41-42. Seep. 58.
16 Ibid. b4/143; c51, pp. 39-43.
17 Ibid. b4/142. See p. 69.
18 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c30/54; All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, no. 12.
19 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c151/H/11-13, /36, /42.
20 Ibid. /14.
21 Ex inf. Daniel Smith, Briant and Done.
22 S.C. 2/188/54; Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/1.
23 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
24 Ibid. c37/7.
25 Ibid. /9.
26 Ibid. c56/5.
27 Ibid. c38/13.
28 Ibid. /16.
29 Ibid. c39/18; c52, ct. bk., ff. 341-35.
30 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 12-13. See map on p. 52.
31 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c52, ct. bk. (1616-49).
32 Ibid. c42, p. 180.
33 M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 pt. 1.
34 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c53, ct. bk. (1831-61).
35 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c245/34z.
36 Ibid. c37/9.
37 e.g. in 1664: M.R.O., MR/TH/5; in 1747: M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 pt. 1; in 1839: M.R.O., TA/KIN; in 1851: H.O. 107/1700/135/2 ff. 310-28; in 1870: M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 pt. 1.
38 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
39 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, no. 12.
40 Wemb. Hist. Soc., Photo. Coll., Acc. 333/6A, /24, /25.
41 Ex inf. Brent L.B., Planning and Research Dept. (1971).
42 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
43 Ibid. c37/1; S.C. 2/188/54 m. 2; S.C. 11/439.
44 See p. 65.
45 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/1.
46 Ibid. c56/2.
47 Ibid. c37/8; c52, ct. bk., ff. 52-53.
48 Ibid. c37/9.
49 Ibid. /8, /10; c52, ct. bk., ff. 52-53 ; c56/2.
50 Ibid. c38/13; c52, ct. bk., ff. 52-53.
51 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 13, 15; Prob. 11/34 (P. C. C. 1 Bucke).
52 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19; c52, ct. bk., ff. 52- 53. For the descent of Thomas Scudamore's estate, see above.
53 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c52, ct. bk. (1616-49).
54 Ibid. c42, pp. 135, 165, 219.
55 Ibid. c44, pp. 31-2, 124; c57/20, /25 ; c245/34z.
56 Ibid. c44, pp. 146-7.
57 Ibid. b5/154; c245/34z; M.R.O., Acc. 262/30; TA/KIN.
58 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c77/149c. See p. 61.
59 M.R.O., Acc. 400/66; Church Com., file 67417.
60 M.R.O., MR/TH/5, 26, 53, 75.
61 M.R.O., Acc. 262/30.
62 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19; c42, p. 165. And see M.R.O., TA/KIN; M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 pt. 1; H.O. 107/1700/135/2 ff. 310-28.
63 Cf. C 8/74/166.
64 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
65 All Souls Coll., Hovenden map, portfolio II, no. 15.
66 M.R.O., MR/TH/5.
67 M.R.O., TA/KIN.
68 Kingsbury U.D.C., Min. Bk. (1922-6), 45, 138, 367; (1926-9), 43; O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx. XL 10 (1935 edn.).
69 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 5 (1896 edn.).
70 E. J. L. Scott, Recs. of Grammar Sch. at Harrow on Hill, 4.
71 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
72 Ibid. c37/8.
73 Ibid. /3.
74 Ibid. /8, /11.
75 Ibid. c39/18.
76 Ibid. c52, ct. bk. ff. 23-24; S.C. 2/188/54.
77 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
78 Ibid. c37/8.
79 Ibid. c38/13; c39/18; c56/5; W. C. Davis, Ancestry of Mary Isaac, 196, 259. See V.C.H. Mdx. iv. 208.
80 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18; c52, ct. bk., ff. 23- 24; M.R.O., Acc. 182/1-2.
81 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18.
82 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 10, 12.
83 V.C.H. Mdx. iv. 213.
84 Elsley, Wembley, 98.
85 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19; V.C.H. Mdx. i. 299.
86 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18.
87 Ibid.b1/19.
88 Ibid. /21.
89 M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 pt. 2/9.
90 Ibid. /12, /14.
91 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c42, p. 187.
92 M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 pt. 1.
93 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c53, ct. bk. (1861-1914); c245/34z.
94 Rep. on Kingsbury U.D. 1906, p. 13, Reps, of Local Inqs. (1895-1907) penes M.R.O.
95 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c42, p. 187.
96 O.S. Maps 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 5 (1873, 1896 edns.).
97 Kingsbury U.D.C., Min. Bk. (1926-9), 307.
98 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18.
99 Ibid. c52, ct. bk. (1616-49).
1 Ibid. c42, p. 119.
2 Ibid. c40/51, m. 5; c53, ct. bk. (1756-77); c245/34z; M.L.R. 1776/6/279.
3 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c30/54; c39/18.
4 Ibid. c30/54; c52, ct. bk. (1616-49); c57/16.
5 Ibid. c57/20, where the holder is given as Sir Francis although he had died by 1666: C 9/37/27.
6 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
7 P.N. Mdx. (E.P.N.S.), 39.
8 See p. 64.
9 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/1; Ft. of F. Lond & Mdx. i. 78.
10 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
11 Ibid.; c37/8.
12 Ibid. /9.
13 Ibid. /10.
14 Ibid. c52, ct. bk., f. 60; M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 pt. 1.
15 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c30/54; c37/10; c52, ct. bk. (1616-49); c56/11;c57/17;c78/187.
16 Ibid. c57/20.
17 Ibid. /17,/20.
18 Ibid. c37/1.
19 Ibid. c30/54; c38/13; c52, ct. bk., ff. 44-45; c57/17.
20 Ibid. b1/21, /22, m. 2.
21 See p. 63.
22 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c52, ct. bk. (1616-49).
23 Ibid. c45, pp. 175, 205; c245/34z; M.R.O., Acc. 583/14; M.L.R. 1774/4/148; 1788/7/391; 1799/3/215.
24 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c245/34z.
25 Rep. on Kingsbury U.D. 1906, p. 35, Reps. of Local Inqs. (1895-1907) penes M.R.O.
26 Kingsbury U.D.C., Min. Bk. (1915-22), 28.
27 M.R.O., TA/KIN.
28 M.R.O., Acc. 262/72/1-2.
29 O.S. Maps 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 5 (1873 and 1896 edns.); Kelly's Dir. Lond. (1880), 206.
30 O.S. Maps 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 5 (1935 and 1940 edns.); Age of Bldgs. map penes Brent L.B., Planning and Research Dept.
31 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/12.
32 All Souls Coll., Hovenden map, portfolio II, no. 13.
33 M.R.O., Acc. 262/72/1 & 2.
34 M.R.O., Acc. 583/14.
35 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 6 (1935 edn.).
36 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/1.
37 Ibid. c56/2.
38 Ibid. c37/3, /5.
39 Ibid. c56/5.
40 Ibid. c37/10.
41 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 10, 13.
42 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18.
43 Ibid. b1/19.
44 Ibid. c57/17.
45 Ibid. G1/28.
46 Ibid. c57/25.
47 Ibid. c40/51, m. 9.
48 Ibid. c44, p. 181.
49 Ibid. c245/34z.
50 Ibid. c40/52, m. 8d.; c46, p. 109.
51 Ibid. c46, pp. 373-4; c245/34z.
52 Ibid. c53, ct. bk. (1805-30).
53 M.R.O., TA/KIN.
54 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c45, pp. 176-7.
55 Ibid. c57/17.
56 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c42, pp. 155-6, 212; c43, pp. 99-100, 105.
57 Ibid. c45, pp. 134-5.
58 M.R.O., TA/KIN. Cf. All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 11, 13.
59 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c53, ct. bk. (1861-1914).
60 e.g. in 1718: Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c42, p. 212; 1800: M.L.R. 1802/7/512; 1839: M.R.O., TA/KIN.
61 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/1.
62 All Souls Coll., Hovenden map, portfolio II, no. 13.
63 M.R.O., MR/TH/5.
64 M.R.O., Acc. 262/72/1.
65 M.L.R. 1801/4/295; 1802/7/512.
66 H.O. 107/1700/135/2 ff. 310-28; Home Cnties. Dir. (1851), 546; Kelly's Dir. Lond. (1872), 142.
67 O.S. Maps 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 6 (1876 and 1916 edns.).
68 Bartholomew's Ref. Atlas of Greater Lond. (1968 edn.).
69 H. J. Foley, Our Lanes and Meadow Paths, 43.
70 Age of Bldings. map penes Brent L.B., Planning and Research Dept.
71 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c76/137, /141.
72 S.C. 11/439.
73 D.L. 25/159; Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c76/133.
74 Cat. Anc. D. ii, A 2296; iv, A 6256, A 6311; Davenport MSS.: Ct. of Husting, roll 4, nos. 124-5; Baylis, Edgware and the Stanmores, 6.
75 S.C. 11/439.
76 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
77 Ibid. c37/8.
78 See p. 57.
79 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/8.
80 Ibid. /9.
81 Ibid. /8; c56/5.
82 Ibid. c37/10.
83 Ibid. c39/18; c52, ct. bk., f. 51.
84 Ibid. c38/16.
85 Ibid. c39/18.
86 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 9-11, 13.
87 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18.
88 Ibid. C 2/Jas. I/B8/34; C 3/283/17.
89 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c78/187.
90 Ibid. b1/19.
91 Ibid. c30/54.
92 M.R.O., Acc. 210/38.
93 Prob. 11/282 (P.C.C. 561 Wootton).
94 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls 57/20.
95 Ibid. c57/20, /27.
96 Ibid. c40/51, m. 9; c43, pp. 32-3.
97 Ibid. c40/52, m. 1.
98 Ibid. c44, pp. 198-9.
99 Ibid. c245/34z; M.L.R. 1775/5/446.
1 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b4/142; M.R.O., TA/KIN.
2 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c41/160; c53; c245/34z; Kelly's Dir. Lond. (1860), 66; Par. reg., baptisms (1813- 64), A1/3 penes Holy Innocents church, Kingsbury.
3 Ret. of Owners of land [C. 1097], H.C., p. 2 (1874), lxxii(1).
4 Kelly's Dir. Lond. (1880), 206.
5 Wemb. Hist. Soc., Jnl. N.S. i(1), p. 7.
6 Kelly's Dirs. Lond. (1894), 364; (1900), 304; Kingsbury U.D.C. Wks. & Finance Cttee. Mins. (1900-2), 33; Min. Bk. (1903-15), 30.
7 Tithe rent-charge apportionments, A9/4-19 penes Holy Innocents church, Kingsbury.
8 C 3/283/17; Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19; c40/51, m. 9.
9 Mdx. Cnty. Recs. ii. 53-4.
10 See above.
11 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
12 Ibid. c37/8.
13 All Souls Coll., Hovenden map, portfolio II, no. 13.
14 C 2/Jas. I/B8/34.
15 Mdx. Cnty. Recs. ii. 53-4.
16 M.R.O., MR/TH/5.
17 Hendon Libr., Print L. 2136; S. C. Holliday, 'Notes on hist. of Grove Park', Phoenix, Winter 1954.
18 S.C. 11/439.
19 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c56/2.
20 Ibid. c37/9.
21 Ibid. /9, /10. Obit in St. Margaret's church, Edgware.
22 Later part of Little Bush farm, see p. 62.
23 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c38/13; C 1/239/25.
24 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/10.
25 Ibid. c38/13.
26 Ibid. /16.
27 Ibid. c39/18. See p. 68.
28 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19.
29 Ibid. c57/17, /20.
30 Ibid. c42, p. 66.
31 Ibid. c38/13; C 1/239/25.
32 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18.
33 Ibid. c39/18; c42, p. 68.
34 Ibid. c44, pp. 208-9.
35 The wording suggests that Ann Salter's portion passed to her nephew: Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c45, pp. 173-4.
36 By the late 18th cent. the Nicholl family was spelling its name 'Nicoll'.
37 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c45, pp. 235-7.
38 Ibid. c37/9, /10.
39 Ibid. c38/13.
40 Ibid. c39/18.
41 Ibid. b1/21.
42 Ibid. c42, pp. 158, 234; c43, pp. 51-2, 54-5; c57/20, /25.
43 Ibid. c45, pp. 92-3, 194-5, 241-2; B.M. Maps 188 b2(16).
44 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c46, p. 159.
45 M.R.O., Acc. 262/30; Hendon Libr., MS. L. 1723.
46 See above.
47 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c46, pp. 35-6.
48 Ibid. p. 109.
49 See above.
50 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c46, p. 179.
51 See p. 68.
52 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c46, p. 179.
53 Hendon Libr., MSS. L. 1707, L. 1710.
54 Ibid. L. 1718, L. 5501; Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c53, ct. bks. (1805-30, 1831-61); c151/G/7; c245/34z.
55 See p. 58.
56 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b4/142; Hendon Libr., MS. L. 5501.
57 Hendon Libr., MS. L. 5501.
58 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b5/151; c245/34z.
59 Hendon Libr., MS. L. 5503.
60 Tithe-rent redemption certs. A9/20-60 penes Holy Innocents church, Kingsbury.
61 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c53, ct. bk. (1861-1914); Hendon Libr., MS. L. 1707.
62 e.g. 1604 & 1605: Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b1/19; 1725: c42, p. 158; 1800: c46, pp. 139-40; 1870: c41/159.
63 Ogilby, Map of Mdx. (c. 1677).
64 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls b2/34.
65 M.R.O., Acc. 262/72/1.
66 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c40/51, mm. 5d.-6, 8.
67 M.R.O., Acc. 262/30.
68 M.R.O., TA/KIN.
69 Hendon Libr., MSS. L. 5500, L. 5502.
70 Kelly's Dir. Hendon (1926).
71 O.S. Maps 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 1 (1938 edn.).
72 Hendon Libr., MS. L. 5501.
73 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 1 (1873 edn.).
74 Kingsbury U.D.C., Min. Bk. (1915-22), 450.
75 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c75/1.
76 Ibid. c76/55.
77 Ibid. c79/4, /34; Davenport MSS.: All Souls Coll., Bursars' Accts.; see p. 73.
78 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c30/56; c77/182.
79 V.C.H. Mdx. iv. 216.
80 M.R.O., Acc. 262/27(1), /29.
81 He bought Gore fields in 1714 (see above) and leased the Freren estate in 1720 (see below).
82 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c80/4-7, /49; c82/71, /75; c83/84, /95, /99; c85/123, /138; M.R.O., Acc. 262/27(1), /28, /29; /61/21.
83 M.R.O., Acc. 262/29.
84 For the earlier history of the house, see s.v. manors, above.
85 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c245/341.
86 Ex inf. Daniel Smith, Briant and Done.
87 See p. 53.
88 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 5 (1873 edn.).
89 M.R.O., Acc. 262/72/1, /2.
90 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c85/138. See p. 53.
91 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c78/184.
92 See p. 65.
93 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c78/184.
94 M.R.O., Acc. 262/72/1, /2.
95 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx. XI. 6 (1873 edn.).
96 Kingsbury U.D.C., Min. Bk. (1915-22), 85.
97 Ibid. (1903-15), 419, 429.
98 See p. 77.
99 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c79/25, 28.
1 Of which 63 a. lay in Kingsbury: All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 9, 13, 15.
2 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c79/11, /15, /18, /21.
3 Ibid. /25, /28.
4 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c77/172.
5 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, nos. 9, 13, 15.
6 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c79/36a.
7 Ibid. c30/56; c80/39.
8 Ibid. c80/40, /51; c81/62.
9 Ibid. c82/69; c83/80, /89; c84 96, /105; M.R.O., TA/KIN.
10 Prior, Goldsmith, ii. 332.
11 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c85/116.
12 Ibid. /127.
13 Ibid. /140.
14 Ibid. /143-4a; Kingsbury U.D.C., Min. Bk. (1903- 15), 80.
15 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/3, 5; c56/2.
16 All Souls Coll., Hovenden maps, portfolio II, no. 13.
17 M.R.O., MR/TH/5.
18 Prior, Goldsmith, ii. 332.
19 Wemb. Hist. Soc., Acc. 445/1.
20 Ex inf. Daniel Smith, Briant and Done; F. K. Malyon, Kingsbury Par. Ch. (pamphlet).
21 Tithes were sometimes leased separately from the rest of the estate: Davenport MSS.: Com. Ct. Lond., Reg. 1585-92, f. 127;M.R.O., Acc. 262/28 pt. 2, /29.
22 B.M. Cott. MS. Claud. E. vi, f. 14; see p. 83.
23 Ibid. f. 241.
24 S.C. 6/Hen. VIII/2402 m. 9d.
25 M.R.O., Acc. 853/10.
26 Davenport MSS.: Com. Ct. Lond., Reg. 1585-92, f. 127.
27 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c39/18; C 54/3556 no. 24, mm. 10 sqq.
28 St. Paul's MS., Box A 58a.
29 M.R.O., Acc. 262/27 Pt. 2, /29; C 8/267/127.
30 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c85/42; M.R.O., Acc. 262/28; /50/9; /72/1; Church Com., file 51708; deeds 169053-62.
31 Church Com., files 51708, 67417.
32 B.M. Cott. MS. Nero E. vi(1), f. 75.
33 e.g. in 1394 'tenants of the land formerly John Farnborough': Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c37/5. There were 5 lessees in 1716: M.L.R. 1716/6/138.
34 Bodl. MS. D.D. All Souls c38/13.
35 M.R.O., Acc. 727/2; Req. 2/25/157.