Prebendaries
Firle

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Diana E. Greenway

Year published

1996

Supporting documents

Pages

30-31

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Prebendaries: Firle', Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: volume 5: Chichester (1996), pp. 30-31. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=34309 Date accessed: 31 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST 16 PREBENDARIES OF FIRLE

PREBEND

Land and tithes in Little Firle (in West Firle). (fn. 79) First reference to Firle as preb. 7 July 1260 (Chart. Chichester nos. 254-5). Vicar choral mentioned 14 Apr. 1300 (ibid. no. 706). See also Inq. Non. p. 356a.

Subdcn.-preb.

Valuation 1291 £5 (Taxatio p. 137b).

PREBENDARIES

William de Rading

Occ. as chapl., not yet canon, 14 Apr. 1247 (Chart. Chichester no. 221) and 27 Aug. 1250 (St Richard p. 29 no. 10). First occ. as canon, by proxy, 19 Apr. 1251 (Walcott, Statutes p. 213). Occ. as this preb., as W. de Rading, 7 July 1260 (Chart. Chichester no. 254). Last occ. as canon, executor of St Richard's will, 2 Nov. 1274 (CPR 1272-81 p. 63).

Richard de la Lynde

Does not occ. as canon. Resigned this preb. before 14 Apr. 1300 (Chart. Chichester no. 704; also 2 Fasti VII 21).

Simon de Fyndon (fn. 80)

Collation by bp. and installation to this preb. 14 Apr. 1300 (Chart. Chichester no. 704; also 2 Fasti VII 22).

Footnotes

79 The church of West Firle (E. Suss.) was granted to the cathedral by Robert, abbot of Grestain, and assigned by bp. Seffrid II to the common fund, 8 March 1198 × c. 17 March 1204, at the same time as the foundation of preb. Wilmington (list 38) (Acta no. 97, also nos. 99-100; see ibid. p. 43).
80 Prob. Findon, W. Suss.