LIST 24 PREBENDARIES OF MORETON PARVA
For the emergence of this preb., see list 23 above. Land at Wariduna was bought
by the preb. David de Aqua to augment his preb. of Moreton (Parva, see below)
c. 1155 × 1158 (GFL no. 313); this land was later used by David to endow an
annual distribution of simnels on St Milburga's day (EEA VII no. 149; LS II 56);
land at Lyde lying among fields of Moreton was gr. to David de Aqua, preb. of
Moreton, March 1173 (Hereford ch. no. 1093). In the taxation of pope Nicholas
IV c. 1291 this preb. (Parva Morton), described as being endowed with two cars.
and some rents, was assessed at £10 (Taxatio p. 169). In the taxation list of 1294
entered into bp. Swinfield's register the preb. of Mortone minor was assessed at
10m (Reg, Swinfield p. 305). Valor III 9 assessed this preb. at £8 12½d gross, £7
12½d net; its endowments were made up of demesne, rents from customary tenants,
perquisites and payment of small commons.
David de Aqua
Occ. as David the pr., holding the preb. of Moreton, c. 1155 × 1158 (GFL no.
313; cf. also cart II. fo. 11r); occ. as David de Aqua, can. of Hereford, c. 1150 × c. 1158 (GFL no. 344); occ. c. 1160 × c. 1170 holding part of Moreton (Herefordshire
Domesday p. 28); occ. as David de Aqua, can. of Moreton, March 1173 (Hereford
ch. no. 1093); occ. as David de Aqua, can., 6 Oct. 1174 × 31 Dec. 1183 (EEA VII
no. 149). David de Aqua's preb. is identified as having been Moreton Parva in LS
II 56. David de Aqua, can., may also perhaps be identified with his almost exact
contemporary, the can. known as M. David, since the two do not occ. in the same
documents. Two cans. called David were commem. at Hereford: David de Aqua
is prob. the David, can. and pr., commem. 6 June (app. 1 fo. 21 v).
M. Henry de Hawkley
Can. of Hereford by 20 Dec. 1270 (Hereford ch. no. 1270; list 36); occ. Feb.
1279 (Rot. Gravesend p. 234); occ. as papal chapl. 17 Aug. 1279 (Reg. Pecham II
84); d. by 23 Nov. 1279, when bp. Cantilupe explained to the abp. of Canterbury
that he had bestowed Henry's preb. already (Reg. Cantilupe pp. 226-7); his preb.
identified as Moreton 25 Dec. 1279 (ibid. p. 268; see next item for identification
as Moreton Parva). Can. of Lincoln from before 1262/3 until his d. (1 Fasti III
91-2, and see Reg. Pecham I 209-10, II 53-4); occ. as can. of Lincoln 26 Jan.
1275 (CPR 1272-81 p. 77). Also vicar of Ross (Herefs.) and chanc. of abp. Pecham
(Reg. Pecham II 53-4, 97).
Walter of Redmarley
Assistant of Hugh of Kendal, keeper of temps. of dioc. of Hereford in vacancy,
12 May 1275 (CPR 1272-81 p. 88); can. of Hereford already by 1274 (list 36);
coll. to the preb. of Moreton, vac. by the d. of Henry de Hawkley 25 Dec. 1279
(ibid. p. 268); keeper of temps. in dioc. of Hereford following d. of bp. Cantilupe,
8 Oct. 1282-8 Jan. 1283 (CPR 1281-92 pp. 37, 54); occ. as can. 5 Jan. 1283
(Reg. Pecham II 62); occ. as resident can. 28 Feb. 1289 (Reg. Swinfield p. 214);
occ. holding preb. of 'parva Morton' c.1291 (Taxatio p. 169); occ. as resident
can., preb. unspecified, 29 Sept. 1295 (Capes, Charters p. 169); occ. as preb.
of Moreton 2 March 1297 (Cal. Chanc. Rolls 1277-1326 p. 25); d. by 27
Sept. 1302 when his successor John of Kempsey was coll. by bp. Swinfield
(Reg. Swinfield p. 534; 2 Fasti II 35). Also preb. in church of Bromyard, in
succession to Humbert of Aigueblanche (royal gr. 20 Feb. 1279 (CPR 1266-
72 p. 321)).