CANONS OF CANTERBURY
All the prebends of Canterbury were originally in the king's gift, by the charter of
incorporation, but Edward VI granted the archbishop of Canterbury the right of
presentation to the 1st, 4th and 6th prebends, 31 Aug. 1547 (C.P.R. 1547-8 p. 38).
These three prebends are subsequently always designated by their numbers, but in
the other prebends, the succession has to be traced from the original holders by reference to predecessors. Evidence for the succession is always implicit in the references
cited, or is discussed in footnotes.