PREBENDARIES OF STOKE
This preb. was united with the chancellorship of Lincoln from 1458 (C.P.R.
1452-61 pp. 463-4; Cal. Papal Letters (London and Dublin, 1893-1997) XI 525;
Borthwick Institute, Reg. 20 ff. 87-88v). (fn. 1)
John Coope M.A. 1660-?
Petitioned king 19 July 1660 for this preb., vac. by d. of Robert Meres
[chancellor and preb. of Stoke] (Cal S.P. Dom. 1660-1 p. 125). Pres. by king 1
Aug. (P.R.O., C 66/2917, 2934). Instal. in person 23 Aug. (A/3/9 f. 208). John
Pulleyn instal. by proxy as chancellor 2 Oct. and in person as preb. of All Saints
in Hungate 26 Nov. (ibid. ff. 211, 215). However, the next chancellor, Samuel
Fuller, was coll. as usual to preb. of Stoke 26 Apr. 1670 (Reg. XXXIII f. 129).
Stoke continued as annexed to the chancellorship to the d. of George Thomas
Pretyman in 1859. New, separate, coll. made 31 Jan. 1873 (Reg. XLI p. 383).
||John Pope, chancellor, leased out the preb. of Stoke 27 Apr, 1544 for 50 years at £43 12s 6d p.a.
(Reg. XXVI ff. 229v-230v; CA 1536-47 pp. 92-3), and John Salisbury, chancellor, leased it out 10
Aug. 1563 for 50 years at the same amount (A/3/8 ff. 8v-10).