29. MILBOURNE'S ALMSHOUSES
The foundation of Sir John Milbourne resembled Whittington's Hospital in some ways.
The almshouses were built in 1535 (fn. 1) on land
bought by Milbourne of the Crossed Friars, and
were intended for thirteen poor men and their
wives, if they were married, members of the
Drapers' Company, to whom the endowment,
consisting of property in London, was entrusted.
The poor men were to come every day to the
conventual church, and to say the De Profundis,
paternoster, ave, creed and collect for the benefit
of the founder, his wife, children, and friends.
The almshouses remained on the original site
until 1862, when the Drapers' Company built
new ones at Tottenham. (fn. 2)
||Stow, Surv. of Lond (ed. Strype), ii, 78.
Lond. and Midd. Arch. Soc. Trans. iii, 138–42.