MANOR AND OTHER ESTATES.
In 1086 the
king held a hide of waste land at Shelfield apparently
as part of the manor of Walsall. (fn. 54) In 1300 the vill
was still held by the lords of Walsall. (fn. 55) A separate
manor of SHELFIELD is first mentioned in 1556.
It originated in the property acquired by John le
Rous in the early 14th century. In 1312 John and
his wife Joan were granted land and rent in Shelfield
by Florence de Verney and her husband Philip. (fn. 56)
In the same year Sir Thomas le Rous, one of the
joint lords of Walsall, granted John other rents and
services there. (fn. 57) By 1317 John was holding courts
at Shelfield. (fn. 58) In 1344 he conveyed all his property
there to Sir Roger Hillary. (fn. 59) whose family had held
other lands in Shelfield since at least 1278. (fn. 60) After
Roger's death in 1356 his Shelfield estate descended
with the manor of Goscote in Walsall until at least
1411. (fn. 61)
Soon afterwards, however, it was assigned to Margery Tylney, and it apparently descended through
her son Frederick (or Philip) and her grandson Sir
Frederick (d. before 1447) to her great-granddaughter Elizabeth Tylney (d. 1497). Elizabeth's second
husband, Thomas Howard (d. 1524), earl of Surrey
and from 1514 duke of Norfolk, was holding the
estate by the courtesy from at least 1508. (fn. 62) In 1520
Elizabeth's heir, John Bourchier, Lord Berners, her
son by her first husband, (fn. 63) conveyed it to the trustees of Sir John Skeffington of London. (fn. 64) Norfolk
had resigned his life-interest by 1521. (fn. 65) Skeffington
died in 1525, (fn. 66) leaving as heir his son William
(d. 1551). When William's son John obtained possession of the estate on coming of age in 1556, it was
described as the manor of Shelfield. (fn. 67) He died in
1604 and was succeeded by his son William (created
a baronet in 1627), (fn. 68) who in 1632 sold the manor to
William Glascote. (fn. 69) In 1634-5 Glascote sold it to
Sir Richard Wilbraham, lord of Walsall, (fn. 70) and Shelfield manor was then presumably absorbed into
St. Peter's chantry in Lichfield cathedral, founded
by 1253, had property in Shelfield at the suppression,
including a house and land granted to Walsall grammar school in 1554 and known by 1915 as School
farm. The school governors acquired further property at Walsall Wood in 1844 and sold both estates
in 1944. (fn. 71) School Farm, a brick building of the mid
19th century, still stood in 1973, but by then houses
had been built over most of the farm-land.
V.C.H. Staffs. iv. 38, no. 7; Homeshaw, Walsall, 7.
S.H.C. v (1), 178.
S.H.C. 1911, 77.
Walsall Records, 41.
||B.M. Harl. MS. 2131, f. 13.
||Ibid. f. 12.
||Ibid. f. 13v.
||See p. 173 and references there cited.
||B.M. Harl. MS. 506, p. 332; Cal. Pat. 1446-52, 43;
Complete Peerage, ix. 614-15; E 150/1018 no. 1; Visitations of Norfolk (Harl. Soc. xxxii), 288-9; Cal. Inq. p.m.
Hen. VII, iii, p. 279.
Complete Peerage, ii. 153-4.
||N.R.A., Chilham Castle, Kent, Massereene (Staffs.)
deeds, 24; S.R.O., D. 260/M/T/2/6.
S.H.C. xi. 262-3.
||C 142/49 no. 44.
||Massereene (Staffs.) deeds, 29.
||C 142/680 no. 12.
||Shaw, Staffs. ii. 81, states that the sale took place in
1641. The fine, however, is dated 1632 (C.P. 25(2)/485/8
Chas. I East.).
||Shaw, Staffs. ii. 81.
Cal. Pat. 1553-4, 205; S.H.C. 1915, 157; O.S. Map 6",
Staffs. LVII. SE. (1921 edn., revised 1915); Fink, Queen
Mary's Grammar Sch. 245, 247.