The Jews

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

P.M. Tillott (editor)

Year published

1961

Supporting documents

Page

419

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The Jews', A History of the County of York: the City of York (1961), pp. 419. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36378 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

THE JEWS

After the expulsion of the Jews in the 13th century (fn. 1) there appears to have been no Jewish religious community in the city until modern times. The York Hebrew Congregation was formed in 1892 and a room at 9 Aldwark was rented for the services. (fn. 2) Originally there were about 20 families but these had dwindled to 8 by 1956 and there was no resident Rabbi at this date. The room in Aldwark was then still used for services. (fn. 3)

Footnotes

1 See p. 48.
2 Jewish Year Bk. 1956, 189.
3 Ex inf. M. M. Rossfield, Esq. Hon. Sec.


<--Previous:
Roman Catholicism
Next:-->
Charities