List of illustrations, maps, plans and figures

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

K J Allison (Editor), A P Baggs, L M Brown, G C F Forster, I Hall, R E Horrox, G H R Kent, D Neave

Year published

1989

Supporting documents

Pages

11-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations, maps, plans and figures', A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 6: The borough and liberties of Beverley (1989), pp. XI-XII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36397 Date accessed: 21 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

Thanks are rendered to Beverley Libraries and Arts (Beverley Local Studies Library), Country Life, the East Yorkshire Borough of Beverley Council (Beverley Art Gallery), the Francis Frith Collection, Mrs. Hordon, Dr. Neave, the Revd. Dr. Parkin, and the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), including the National Monuments Record (N.M.R.), for generously giving permission to use material, and to Mr. R. Wheeler-Osman, Photographic Department, University of Hull, for his services.

The town from the west. Oil painting by J. Burras, 1887, in Beverley Art Gallery frontispiece
Keldgate bar. Undated watercolour in Beverley Art Gallery facing page 28
The former Dominican friary. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1989 " 28
North bar and St. Mary's hospital. Undated drawing in Beverley Public Library " 29
Nos. 6-8 Highgate. Photograph by F. J. Palmer, 1958, N.M.R. " 29
No. 7 Hengate. Photograph by F. J. Palmer, 1962, N.M.R. " 29
No. 19 Highgate. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1989 " 29
Saturday Market. Photograph, c. 1886, from the Francis Frith Collection " 44
Wednesday Market. Postcard, c. 1880, in Beverley Public Library " 44
The Town, 1852. From Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (1855 edn.) " 45
Hodgson's tannery. Photograph, c. 1923, in Beverley Art Gallery " 140
Crosskill's iron foundry. Engraving in G. Measom, Official Illustrated Guide to the North-eastern [etc.] Railways (1861) " 140
North Bar Without. Photograph, 1934, from the Francis Frith Collection " 141
New Walk. Photograph, 1900, from the Francis Frith Collection " 141
Sow Hill Road. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1989 " 156
Eastgate. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1989 " 156
The town from the south-east. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd., c. 1970 " 157
County Hall. Photo-tint by J. Akerman, Building News, 26 Sept. 1890 " 188
Sessions House. Engraving by W. Monkhouse, N.M.R. " 188
The Guildhall. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1989 " 189
The Guildhall, the court room. Photograph by Country Life, 23 Dec. 1971 " 189
The river Hull. Photograph, 1890, in Beverley Art Gallery " 204
Grovehill. Postcard, c. 1900, in the possession of Mrs. G. Hordon " 204
The Independent chapel, Lairgate. Undated drawing in Beverley Art Gallery " 205
The former St. John's chapel, Lairgate. Photograph by G. B. Wood, 1943, N.M.R. " 205
Walkergate Wesleyan chapel. Undated photograph in Humberside County Record Office, reproduced by permission of the Revd. Dr. H. Parkin " 205
St. Mary's church. Undated engraving by W. Monkhouse in Beverley Art Gallery " 236
St. Mary's church, the chancel north arcade and St. Michael's chapel. Photograph by J. D. Webster, c. 1945, N.M.R. " 236
The minster, the west front and the nave. Photograph by T. Coysh, c. 1948, N.M.R. " 237
The minster, the chancel and the east end. Photograph by J. D. Webster, c. 1945, N.M.R. " 237
Grovehill shipyard. Postcard, 1896, in Beverley Public Library " 252
The former union workhouse. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1989 " 252
The minster, the south transepts. Photograph by T. Coysh, c. 1948, N.M.R. " 253
The minster, the nave and the west end. Photograph, c. 1945, N.M.R. " 253
Norwood. Postcard, c. 1900, in the possession of Dr. D. R. J. Neave " 268
Cross Street. Postcard, c. 1900, in Beverley Public Library " 268
Routh's hospital. Photograph by Country Life, 23 Dec. 1971 " 268
Fox's hospital. Undated photograph in Beverley Public Library " 269
The former Tymperon's hospital. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1989 " 269
Charles Warton's and Sir Michael Warton's hospitals. Photograph by D. Innes, 1962, N.M.R. " 269
Deserted village site, Eske. Photograph by R.C.H.M., 1970 " 284
Eske Manor. Photograph by A. Marshall, 1984, Brynmor Jones Library, University of Hull " 284
Warehouses, Hull Bridge. Photograph by Bill Marsden, 1984 " 285
Hull bridge. Undated photograph in Beverley Art Gallery " 285

LIST OF MAPS, PLANS, AND FIGURES

The maps except those on pages 191, 193, and 220 and facing page 45 were drawn by K. J. Wass, from drafts by K. J. Allison, and the arms by Patricia A. Tattersfield.

Street plan (west part), 1988. Based upon various editions of the Ordnance Survey 1/2, 500 map and the 1986 edition of the 1/1, 250 map with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office, Crown Copyright reserved page 4
Street plan (east part), 1988. Based as above " 6
The Town, 1852. From Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (1855 edn.) facing page 45
Boundaries, c. 1850. Based on the 1855 edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map page 163
Communications. Compiled from various sources " 166
The area around Register Square, 1853. From the 1854 edition of the Ordnance Survey 1/1, 056 map " 191
The East Riding house of correction, 1853. From the 1853 edition of the Ordnance Survey 1/1, 056 map " 193
Arms of the borough of Beverley " 195
Common lands, 1988.Compiled from various sources " 212
Saturday Market and St. Mary's church, 1853. From the 1853-4 edition of the Ordnance Survey 1/1, 056 map " 220
Beverley Parks, c. 1980. Based upon various editions of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office, Crown Copyright reserved " 272
Eske, 1833. From a map in the Brynmor Jones Library, University of Hull " 278
Molescroft, 1803. From a map in Humberside County Record Office " 282
Storkhill, c. 1715. From a map in the Brynmor Jones Library, University of Hull " 292
Thearne and Woodmansey, 1788. From a map in Humberside County Record Office " 296
Tickton, 1664. From inclosure awards and map in Humberside County Record Office " 302
Weel, early 17th century. From maps in Humberside County Record Office " 309


Next:-->
Editorial Note