Long time user?
Victoria County History
A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 3
R.B. Pugh, Elizabeth Crittall (editors)
List of classes of public records usedNote on abbreviations
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'Hospitals: St Margaret, Bradford-on-Avon', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 3 (1956), pp. 334. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36554 Date accessed: 22 August 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
24. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARGARET, BRADFORD-ON-AVON
Protection with clause rogamus was granted to
the brethren and sisters of the lepers' hospital of
St. Margaret, Bradford, in 1235. (fn. 1) A hospital of
that name at Bradford was mentioned in 1458-9,
and in 1490 Henry Long of Wraxall left 6s. 8d.
to the poor of the house. (fn. 2) It may have been St.
Margaret's which Leland described as a hospital
of royal foundation standing at the end of a little
street beyond Bradford bridge. (fn. 3) Canon Jackson
identified this hospital noticed by Leland as the
Old Poor House formerly situated beyond the railway line on the Trowbridge road but bought and
demolished by the Great Western Railway Company about 1848. (fn. 4)
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd