40. THE HOSPITAL OF HARTING
Henry Hoese, or Hussey, founded a hospital
for lepers, under the patronage of St. John the
Baptist at Harting, early in the reign of Henry II.
Agnes, wife of Hugh de Gundevile, gave 4 acres
in Upton in East Harting to these lepers, (fn. 1) and
Henry II, some time before 1162, granted them
a fair on St. John's Day, and its eve and morrow. (fn. 2) Nothing more appears to be known of this
lazar-house until about 1248, when it was bought
from the master of the order of St. Lazarus by
the abbot of Dureford, and absorbed into the
estate of that abbey. (fn. 3)
Suss. Arch. Coll. viii, 58.
||Dugdale, Mon. vi, 938.
Suss. Arch. Coll. vii, 59.