Hospitals
Leper hospital of Southwark

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

H.E. Malden (editor)

Year published

1967

Supporting documents

Pages

124-125

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Leper hospital of Southwark', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 2 (1967), pp. 124-125. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=37827 Date accessed: 27 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

15. THE LEPER HOSPITAL OF SOUTHWARK

On the outskirts of the Borough was a hospital for lepers under the joint dedication of St. Mary and St. Leonard. Stowe speaks of it as the Loke or Lazar-house for leprous persons, which stood in Kent Street, without St. George's Bar, but he had failed to learn anything of its early foundation. (fn. 1)

It was probably of twelfth century origin, like so many similar establishments outside English towns. The first notice that we have found of it occurs in the time of Edward II., when it had evidently been for some time endowed. The favours it obtained from Edward II. and Edward III. confirm the tradition that it was originally of royal foundation.

Protection was granted for one year on 4 June 1315 for the master and brethren of the hospital, and their men and lands. (fn. 2) The like was repeated in June 1316 for another year. (fn. 3) And again letters of protection were obtained from the same king on 10 April 1320 to last for two years. (fn. 4) On 27 July of the same year these letters of protection were renewed for two years, and at the same time the brethren were authorized, in consequence of the insufficiency of their income, to collect alms. (fn. 5)

Protection was again granted for two years, in September 1328, wherein it was stated that the brethren had no sufficient livelihood unless they were succoured by the faithful. (fn. 6)

This was one of the four leper hospitals built for the reception of these sufferers outside London, for the injunctions against lepers entering the city were numerous and stringent. The other three named by Stowe were those at Stratford le Bow, at Knightsbridge, and between Shoreditch and Stoke Newington. (fn. 7)

John Pope, by his will of 1487, gave to this hospital 6s. 8d. towards its repair and maintenance. It was for a long time under the care of St. Bartholomew's hospital. (fn. 8)

Footnotes

1 Stowe's Survey (ed. Thomas), 156.
2 Pat. 8 Edw. II. pt. ii. m. 9.
3 Ibid. 9 Edw. II. pt. ii. m. 14.
4 Pat. 13 Edw. II. m. ii.
5 Ibid. 14 Edw. II. pt. ii. m. 23.
6 Ibid. 2 Edw. III. pt. ii. m. 2.
7 Stowe's Survey (ed. Thomas), 184.
8 Manning and Bray, Hist. of Surrey, iii. 634.