17. COLLEGE OF LAMBETH
Archbishop Baldwin (1185-90) proposed
to found a college of secular canons, dedicated
to the honour of his predecessor St. Thomas
the Martyr, at Haddington, near Canterbury.
But the project met with such strenuous
opposition from the monks of Christ Church
that he was forced to abandon the attempt.
Desirous however of fulfilling his intention
elsewhere, he obtained a site at Lambeth
from the bishop and chapter of Rochester,
and there the archbishop built himself a
house and a church in honour of St. Thomas.
In 1188 Baldwin began to build a fine
chapel, intending to make it collegiate, with
houses for the canons in an adjoining quadrangle; but soon after he went to the Holy
Land, where he died. His successor, Hubert
Walter (1193-1205), completed the chapel
in 1199 together with the buildings for some
of the canons; but the opposition of the
Canterbury monks was so strenuous and their
influence at Rome so great, that Innocent III.
in April 1198 ordered the demolition of the
chapel and the suspension of the clergy there
officiating. The matter was referred to
arbitration, and in 1202 the archbishop was
allowed if he willed to form at Lambeth a
foundation of not less than thirteen nor more
than twenty canons regular of Prémontré.
But this permission was never acted upon,
and the short-lived project of a college at
Lambeth came to an end. (fn. 1)
||Manning and Bray's Hist. of Surr. iii. 469-70;
Tanner's Notitia, under Lambeth, Surrey; Twysden's Decem Scriptores, 705, 708, etc.; Ann. Mon.
(Rolls Ser.), ii. 77-8.