49. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. PETRONILLA, BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Near to the hospital of St. John, or 'Domus
Dei,' out of the south gate, stood the hospital
of St. Petronilla, or St. Parnel, for leprous
persons. (fn. 1) It is ignored both by Dugdale and
Tanner, but was clearly a separate foundation
apart from the Domus Dei, and founded by one
of the early abbots.
Edward Steward was the master in 1535,
when the clear annual value was declared to be
£10 17s. 1½d. The income was derived from
temporalities in Bury, Whepstead, and Rushbrooke, and from a portion of the rectory of
Mildenhall. £4 11s. 8d., apparently apart
from the just cited income, was paid to the
poor of the house of St. Petronilla. (fn. 2)
The hospital is referred to in various documents as to land transfers of Henry VIII,
Edward VI, and Elizabeth, wherein it is diversely described as the hospital of St. Petronilla,
St. Peternelda, St. Pernell, and St. Parnell. (fn. 3)
||There were considerable remains of it as late as
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii, 461, 465.
||Add. MS. 19103, fol. 164.