Hospitals
St Leonard, Ipswich

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1975

Page

139

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: St Leonard, Ipswich', A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2 (1975), pp. 139. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=37935 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

57. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. LEONARD, IPSWICH

There was a third leper hospital of early foundation at Ipswich—that of St. Leonard, in the parish of St. Peter, near the old church of St. Augustine, (fn. 1) probably but slenderly endowed, and relying chiefly on the alms of travellers. A commission appointed in 1520 to define the bounds of the town of Ipswich began its report in these terms:—

'From the bull stake on the Cornhill in the said burgh of Yepiswiche unto the close of the hospitall of Seynt Leonard, & from thens . . .' (fn. 2)

It escaped suppression under Henry VIII and Edward VI. In 1583 Henry Bury was appointed 'Master of the hospital and Sick House of St. Leonard,' vacant by the death of Philip Apprice. At the same time Henry Lawrey, beadle of the hospital, had £1 6s. 8d. added to his salary for his great pains.

In 1606 'the preaching place' in the hospital was ordered to be restored and the head of the pulpit ceiled. (fn. 3)

Footnotes

1 Taylor, Index Mon. 116.
2 Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. ix, 232.
3 Add. MS. 19094, fol. 144.