65. THE COLLEGE OF DENSTON
Edward IV, on 1 March, 1475, licensed Sir
John Howard, knight, and John Broughton the
younger, esquire, to found a perpetual chantry
or college of a warden and society of chaplains
to celebrate divine service daily at Denston, and
to do other works of piety according to their
ordinance, to be called 'Denston Chauntry.'
They were also licensed to grant in mortmain
to the warden and society possessions not held in
chief, to the value of £40 yearly. (fn. 1)
It was endowed with the manor of Beaumonde in Denston parish, and with lands in
Lilsey, Monks Eleigh, Groton, and Badley
Parva. (fn. 2)
The Valor of 1535 mentions Peter Calcott
as then master of the college of Denston, of the
foundation of John Denston. The rectory of
Denston pertained to the college, but was then
in the hands of the king, and its value is not
given. The temporalities of the college were
valued at £25 9s. 2½d., but various outgoings,
including 40s. given to the poor on the anniversary of John Denston brought down the clear
annual value to £22 8s. 7d. (fn. 3)
In 1548 Denston is entered as a small college
consisting of a warden or master and two priests
or co-brethren. Richard Baldry, the master,
had a stipend of £10 and the two priests,
Richard Marshall and Robert Fisher, £5 each.
They served the parish church and had a
mansion house adjoining. The gross income
was there set down as £27 9s. 2½d. and the net
income as £22 17s. 1½d. (fn. 4) After suppression the
college property was assigned in 1548 to Thomas
and John Smith. (fn. 5)
||Pat. 14 Edw. IV, pt. ii, m. 5.
||Dugdale, Mon. vi, 1468.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii, 471.
||Chant. Cert. 45, No. 25.
Proc. Arch. Inst. vi, 46.