Alien houses
Priory of Creeting St Olave

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1975

Pages

153-154

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Alien houses: Priory of Creeting St Olave', A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2 (1975), pp. 153-154. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=37950 Date accessed: 30 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

73. THE PRIORY OF CREETING ST. OLAVE

Robert, earl of Mortain, in the time of the Conqueror, gave the manor of Creeting St. Olave (Gratingis) to the Benedictine Abbey of Grestein in Normandy; it was held in chief of the king. (fn. 1)

The taxation of 1291 enters 18s. 8d. as the annual value of land pertaining to the prior of 'Gretingge' (under the abbot of Grestein) in Barking, Essex. This priory at the same time had 7s. 1d. in Earl Stonham, whilst the manor of Creeting St. Olave produced £9 0s. 5¼d. (fn. 2)

The goods and stock pertaining to the priory of Creeting St. Olave were valued by the crown, in 1325, at £17 10s. 1d. (fn. 3)

Edward III granted this manor during the French war in 1345 to one Tydeman de Lymbergh, a merchant; but in 1360 permitted the abbot and convent of Grestein to sell it to Sir Edmund de la Pole. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

1 Dom. Bk.; Testa de Nevill (Rec. Com.), 295.
2 Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 129, 129b.
3 Mins. Accts. bdle. 1127, No. 4.
4 Pat. 22 Edw. III, pt. iii, m. 13; Close, 33 Edw. III, m. 6.