Houses of Benedictine monks
The monastery of Barrow

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1906

Page

97

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Houses of Benedictine monks: The monastery of Barrow', A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 97. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=37989 Date accessed: 02 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

3. THE MONASTERY OF BARROW

The ancient monastery 'Ad Baruae' in Lindsey was founded about the middle of the seventh century; probably between 669 and 672, when St. Chad was bishop of Lichfield, for traces of his discipline remained there in the days of Bede. (fn. 1) The land on which the monastery was built was the gift of King Wulfhere (657-75), and was sufficient to support fifty families; the rule it followed was probably the same as that of the more famous house at Lastingham. When Wilfrid, bishop of Mercia, was deposed by Archbishop Theodore for some act of disobedience, he took refuge at Barrow, and ended his days there 'in all holy conversation.' (fn. 2)

This monastery was also destroyed by the Danes and never rebuilt.

Footnotes

1 Bede, Eccles. Hist. (ed. Plummer), bk. iv, c. 3, p. 207, 'In quo usque hodie instituta ab ipso regularis vitae vestigia permanent.'
2 Ibid. bk. iv, c. 6, p. 218.