Houses of Benedictine monks
The abbey of Partney

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1906

Pages

104-105

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Houses of Benedictine monks: The abbey of Partney', A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 104-105. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=37991 Date accessed: 22 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

5. THE ABBEY OF PARTNEY

It seems clear that there was a monastery at Partney during the seventh century; two of its abbots were well known to the Venerable Bede. (fn. 1) One of these, Deda, 'a very truthful man,' repeated to the historian a description of the personal appearance of St. Paulinus, given to him earlier by an old man whom the saint had baptized. The other, Aldewin, was the brother of Ethelwin, (fn. 2) who was bishop of Lindsey in the time of Theodore: he had probably been educated in the monastic schools of Ireland. (fn. 3) The name of the founder of the abbey is unknown: nor is there any reason for connecting it with. Bardney. It was probably destroyed by the Danes and never rebuilt. There was a hospital at Partney in the eleventh century, which will be. dealt with in its proper place; but this cannot very well have been of the same foundation. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

1 The name of 'Peartaneu' given in Bede, Eccles. Hist. bk. ii, c. 16, p. 117, has been confused with Bardney, but the identification has been pronounced impossible by Mr. W. H. Stevenson.
2 Bede, Eccles. Hist. bk. in. c. 11, p. 149.
3 Ibid. bk. iii, c. 27, p. 192, and bk. iv, c. 12, p. 229. Ethelwin and another brother Ethelhun had certainly been educated in Ireland.
4 The editors of Dugdale call Partney a cell of Bardney, apparently confusing the ancient monastery with the later hospital, which was called a cell of the abbey in the fourteenth century. Dugdale, Mon. i, 655, and vi, 1,621.