Houses of the Gilbertine order
The priory of Tunstall

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1906

Page

197

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Houses of the Gilbertine order: The priory of Tunstall', A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 197. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38037 Date accessed: 28 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

51. THE PRIORY OF TUNSTALL

The Gilbertine priory of St. Mary of Tunstall was founded as a double house before 1164 by Reginald de Crevequer. (fn. 1) He endowed it with the island of Tunstall, the whole of his fee in the island of Hade, the meadow between the islands, and rights of common. (fn. 2) Before 1189 his son Alexander de Crevequer united the house to the Gilbertine priory of Bullington. (fn. 3)

Prior of Tunstall

Alan, occurs prior in 1164 (fn. 4)

Footnotes

1 Dugdale, Mon. vii, 982.
2 Ibid. 954, No. xii.
3 Ibid. 953.
4 Stowe MS. 937, fol. 146 v.