89. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. GILES WITHOUT LINCOLN
This hospital was probably founded some time
during the thirteenth century. The name of
the original founder is unknown; but some
time before February, 1280, Oliver Sutton then
dean of Lincoln, assigned the house with its
revenues to the support of the vicars choral of
the cathedral. (fn. 1) It had been intended for the
reception of the poor; and in the fourteenth
century Gilbert d'Umfraville, earl of Angus,
added something to its endowments in order that
servants of the cathedral past work might be
admitted there in preference to other applicants. (fn. 2)
Richard de Ravenser, archdeacon of Lincoln, to
whom the earl had granted the manor of Sturton,
ordained that twelve poor ministers and servants
of the cathedral might be supported in the
hospital, receiving ½d. daily for their food, and
4s. yearly for their clothing, and the dean and
chapter confirmed the ordinance in 1384.
During Richard's lifetime he was to fill all
vacant places; after his death the right reverted
to the dean and chapter. (fn. 3)
In 1428 the master of the hospital held one
knight's fee and three-eighths of another in
Sturton. (fn. 4) But by 1453 the value of the property seems to have diminished, for the warden
received permission in that year to collect alms
for the support of the hospital. (fn. 5)
The hospital of St. Giles is not mentioned in
the chantry certificate; but the chapter acts of
Lincoln Cathedral occasionally allude to it as a
place of refuge for poor clerks, until the
eighteenth century, when it fell into ruins.
Masters of St. Giles's Hospital
Henry Willensi, (fn. 6) occurs 1428
John Tyler, (fn. 7) occurs 1453
||Dugdale, Mon. vi, 766; Pat. 9 Edw. II, pt. ii,
||Pat. 19 Ric. II, pt. ii, m. 1.
||Ibid. 7 Ric. II, pt. ii, m. 4, 3.
Feud. Aids, iii, 280, 305.
||D. and C. Linc. Chapter Acts, 1451-74, fol. 12.
Feud. Aids, iii, 305.
||Chapter Acts of Linc. bk. E. 35, fol. 12.