108. CANTILUPE COLLEGE
The Cantilupe College was founded in 1367
by Nicholas, third Baron Cantilupe, and founder
also of Beauvale Priory in Nottinghamshire. Its
object was simply to secure a perpetual commemoration of the souls of the founder and his wife.
A house was provided close by the cathedral for the
accommodation of a warden and seven chaplains,
who should celebrate masses daily at the altar of
St. Nicholas. They were to have a common
refectory, to sing the divine office together in
choir, and to be habited as secular vicars; the
warden was to have £6 a year, and the others
100s. each. (fn. 1) The church of Leake was to be
appropriated to the college for its maintenance. (fn. 2)
A dispute arose in 1422 between the vicar of
Leake and the chaplains of the college as to the
share in the rectory house and lands which
ought to be assigned to the former. The vicar
in consequence complained to the bishop, who
issued a commission of inquiry into the matter. (fn. 3)
When Bishop Alnwick visited the cathedral in
1437 he found that by the neglect of the dean
and chapter the sums appointed for the salaries of
the chaplains had not been regularly paid, and
that the value of the lands assigned for their
support had greatly diminished through floods
and other causes, so that in those days there were
only two priests serving the chantry instead of
eight. (fn. 4) He gave orders for the salaries to be
paid in future, but it is improbable that the
number of chaplains was ever increased again
before the suppression of chantries.
||Linc. Epis. Reg. Inst. Bokyngham, 21, 22.
||Dugdale, Mon. vi, 1456.
||Linc. Epis. Reg. Memo. Flemyng, 228 d.
||Henry Bradshaw, Statutes of Linc. Cathedral, ii