Victoria County History
A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 2
H. Arthur Doubleday, William Page (editors)
List of abbreviations
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'Friaries: The Carmelites of Winchester', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 2 (1903), pp. 193. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38115 Date accessed: 23 August 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
22. THE HOUSE OF THE CARMELITES OF WINCHESTER
Of the Carmelite house that stood near
that of the Austin friars which was founded
in 1278 and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin,
there is little to chronicle.
It seems to have been only a small establishment. Bishop Sandale ordained six from
this convent, and Bishop Asserio three.
At its suppression, the dwelling and the
land on which it stood only realized a rental
of 6s. 8d. yearly.
There is no inventory extant of the Winchester Carmelites. Apparently they were
dispersed before Richard Ingworth's visitation.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd