Victoria County History
A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 1
William Page, Granville Proby (editors) assisted by H.E. Norris
List of abbreviationsEcclesiastical map of the county
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'RELIGIOUS HOUSES: Introduction', A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 1 (1926), pp. 377. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38141 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
THE RELIGIOUS HOUSES OF HUNTINGDONSHIRE
THE religious houses of Huntingdonshire were few in number, but
their paucity was counterbalanced by the wealth, antiquity and
importance of Ramsey abbey, which well deserves study. Those
houses of the Benedictine order, besides Ramsey and its cell at
St. Ives, were the priory of St. Neots and the small nunnery at Hinchinbrook.
Of houses of other orders there were the Cistercian abbey at Sawtry
St. Judith (fn. 1) and two priories of Austin canons, one at Huntingdon and
another at Stonely. The Austin friars had a house in Huntingdon, but
none of the other mendicant orders were represented. Hospitals must have
existed in connection with the larger towns; but at present only three can
be traced, and they were all in Huntingdon.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd