House of Knights Templar
The preceptory of Ewell

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Willam Page (editor)

Year published

1926

Page

175

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'House of Knights Templar: The preceptory of Ewell', A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2 (1926), pp. 175. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38212 Date accessed: 24 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

HOUSE OF KNIGHTS TEMPLARS

24. THE PRECEPTORY OF EWELL

In the inquisition (fn. 1) taken in 1185 on the lands of the Templars William the king's brother and William de Peverelle are said to have granted to them lands in Ewell, and Henry of Essex the new mills of Ewell. A preceptory was certainly established here, although nothing is known of its history; for in 1309, when the inquiry was made into the charges brought against the Templars, Ralph de Malton was described as preceptor at Ewell, and Robert de Sautre as brother at Ewell. (fn. 2) After their suppression the manor of Ewell was granted to the Hospitallers, and in 1338 appears as demised to Hamo Godchep and his wife for life. (fn. 3) At the Dissolution it formed part of the preceptory of Swingfield.

The manors of Dartford and Strood also belonged to the Templars, but it is doubtful whether preceptories were ever established there.

Footnotes

1 Misc. Bks. Exch. K.R. 16; partly printed in Dugdale, Mon. vii, 821.
2 Wilkins, Concilia, ii, 346.
3 Larking, The Knights Hospitallers in Engl. (Camd. Soc.), 173.