Hospitals
Milton by Gravesend

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Willam Page (editor)

Year published

1926

Pages

221-222

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Milton by Gravesend', A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2 (1926), pp. 221-222. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38237 Date accessed: 24 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

54. THE HOSPITAL OF MILTON BY GRAVESEND

The origin of this house is unknown, although lands in Essex granted to the hospital of Gravesend are mentioned in the Pipe Roll as far back as 2 Henry II. It appears to have been re-founded by Aymer de Valence, earl of Pembroke, who on 7 December, 1321, made a grant (fn. 1) to Roger de Stowe, master of the chapel or chantry, and the brethren of the site and lands of the chapel and all lands pertaining to it in the hundreds of Barstable and Rochford in Essex, these last apparently forming the principal part of its endowment. On 10 December he granted (fn. 2) to them the advowson of the church of Milton, and directed that there should be in the chapel a master priest and two chaplains, and that at each vacancy the chaplains might elect a master. Hamo, bishop of Rochester, at his instance on 15 April, 1322, ordained that the priests should be regular and should celebrate divine service for the earl and his wife and the souls of Warin, William and Denise de Monte Caniso his ancestors; and this ordinance was confirmed by the earl on 11 May. (fn. 3) Edward II on 22 June, 1326, at the instance of Mary de Sancto Paulo, countess of Pembroke, granted licence (fn. 4) for the master and brethren of the chapel of St. Mary the Virgin, Milton, to appropriate the church; and this was apparently done accordingly, though the date of the appropriation is given elsewhere as 1322. (fn. 5) The masters held the parish church with the hospital.

John Wynd, master or warden, was ordered by the bishop in 1402 to re-assume the habit of his order, which he had put off, and to appear to answer for the crime of apostasy. (fn. 6)

On the death of John Markettstede, the master, in 1416, William Clifforde, the patron, claimed the right of presentation, and a long dispute followed. The bishop upheld the right of election, but eventually an agreement was come to by which the patron was allowed to present for this turn, recognizing the right of election in future. (fn. 7) Elizabeth Clyfford, late the wife of Reginald Cobham, knight, brought an unsuccessful suit against the bishop for the advowson of the church in 1438. (fn. 8)

In 1422 John Standulf, master, was cited to appear before the bishop to answer for dilapidations; and the fruits of the church were sequestrated. (fn. 9) He exchanged shortly afterwards with the rector of West Wickham. (fn. 10)

An inquisition (fn. 11) was taken in Essex on 18 March, 1524, by which it was found that John Dygon, master, and the brethren regular of the hospital, chapel or chantry of Milton by Gravesend, were seised on 6 May, 16 Richard II, of certain lands in Nevendon, Basildon, Fange and South Benfleet in Essex, and that John Dygon died on that day, and after him all the brethren died without any other master being elected or appointed, and so the hospital was dissolved, and divers rectors of Milton received the issues of the lands until Michaelmas, 1522, and Sir Henry Wyatt since then. In consequence of this (erroneous) finding, the hospital came into the possession of the king, who on 1 April granted licence (fn. 12) for Sir Henry Wyatt to found a chantry of two chaplains in the old chapel of St. Mary in the church of Milton, which with other buildings occupied the site of a mansion formerly belonging to the master and three brethren of a hospital of regular priests, and to grant to them the said site and lands in Kent and Essex to the value of £20 yearly, formerly belonging to the hospital. On 1 August he granted to him the Essex possessions with all issues from 6 May, 16 Richard II. (fn. 13)

Masters Of Milton

Roger de Stowe, occurs 1321, (fn. 14) resigned 1325 (fn. 15)
Roger de Ocle, elected. 1325, (fn. 16) died 1333 (fn. 17)
John de Esscheby, elected 1333 (fn. 17)
Warin de Wyleby, admitted 1353 (fn. 18)
John Dygon, resigned 1397 (fn. 19)
John Wynd, appointed 1397, (fn. 19) occurs 1402 (fn. 14)
John Cryps, appointed 1405 (fn. 20)
John Markettstede, died 1416 (fn. 11)
John Standulf, resigned 1422 (fn. 21)
Wjlliam Tabbard, appointed 1422 (fn. 21)
William Sprener, resigned 1437 (fn. 22)
William Midelton, appointed 1437, (fn. 22) resigned 1440 (fn. 23)
John Boner, appointed 1440 (fn. 24)
Richard Chestre, appointed 1442 (fn. 25)
William Sprener, died 1461 (fn. 26)
Thomas Candour, appointed 1461 (fn. 26)
John Marten, died 1504 (fn. 27)
Edmund Cholderton, appointed 1504, (fn. 27) resigned 1507 (fn. 28)
Thomas Hedd, appointed 1507 (fn. 28)

Footnotes

1 Thorpe, Reg. Roff. 493.
2 Ibid. 492.
3 Ibid. 491.
4 Pat. 19 Edw. II, pt. 2, m. 5.
5 Reg. Roff. 495.
6 Roch. Epis. Reg. vol. 2, fol. 179.
7 Reg. Roff. 493.
8 De Banco, Mich. 17 Hen. VI, 123d.
9 Roch. Epis. Reg. vol. 3, fol. 9.
10 Ibid. 20.
11 Chan. Inq. (Ser. 2), vol. 80, No. 184.
12 L. and P. Hen. VIII, iv, 297 (1).
13 Ibid. 612 (1).
14 See above.
15 Roch. Epis. Reg. vol. 1, fol. 69b. He became master of Strood.
16 Ibid. 70b.
17 Ibid. 154.
18 Ibid. 261.
19 Ibid. vol. 2, fol. 99b.
20 Ibid. 188.
21 Ibid. vol. 3, fol. 20.
22 Ibid. 133d.
23 Ibid. 153d.
24 Ibid. He was bishop of Annaghdown in Ireland.
25 Ibid. 175.
26 Ibid. 234.
27 Ibid. vol. 4, fol. 41.
28 Ibid. 46.