56. THE HOSPITAL OF PUCKESHALL OR TONGE
We first hear of the hospital of St. James,
' Pokeleshal,' in the parish of Tonge, in 1252,
in connexion with a tenement in Sheldwich. (fn. 1)
The advowson passed on the death of Giles de
Badelesmere in 1339 to his sister Elizabeth,
countess of Northampton, (fn. 2) and later belonged to
the Mortimers, earls of March. (fn. 3)
In 1546 the possessions of the fraternity or
hospital in Tonge called St. James alias Pickeshall were valued at £7 13s. 4d. yearly, with
deductions of £1 9s. 4d., the net income thus
being £6 4s. The certificate (fn. 4) also mentions a
chalice of silver and gilt, a vestment and all
things belonging to it, and two bells, valued
The site of the hospital and lands belonging
to it in Tonge and Bapchild were granted on
26 May, 1557, to Sir John Parrott in fee. (fn. 5)
Masters or Wardens of Tonge
Robert, occurs 1252 (fn. 1)
Walter Shiryngton, appointed 1407 (fn. 3)
||Feet of F. Kent, 36 Hen. III.
||Close, 13 Edw. III, pt. 3, m. 27.
||Pat. 8 Hen. IV, pt. 1, m. 3. The king also
made the appointment of one of the brethren in 1408.
(Pat. 9 Hen. IV, pt. 2, m. 13).
||Chant. Cert. 29, No. 108.
||Pat. 3 & 4 Philip and Mary, pt. 3, m. 25.