72. THE PRIORY OF PATRIXBOURNE
John de Pratellis, who founded the priory of
Beaulieu, in the forest of Preaulx, in Normandy,
about the end of the twelfth century, granted (fn. 1)
to it the manor of Patrixbourne, of the inheritance of his wife, and a cell was established there.
The prior and canons of Patrixbourne were
afterwards dispossessed by King John, but were
allowed to have the land again in 1207 for a
payment of 30 marks and a palfrey. (fn. 2)
On the death of Simon, prior of Beaulieu, in
1332, the king took the manor of Patrixbourne
into his hands, but at the complaint of the next
prior an inquisition (fn. 3) was taken by which it was
found that the king had no right in it, and the
king accordingly on 4 October, 1333, ordered
the escheator not to meddle further. (fn. 4) During
the war with France the manor was taken into
the king's hands with other lands of aliens and
committed to the custody of the proctor of the
prior of Beaulieu, at a rent of £10 yearly; but
in 1340 it was surrendered by him on the
ground that he could not pay the rent, and committed to the custody of the abbot of Langdon
on the same terms. (fn. 5)
On 7 June, 1390, Richard Altrincham had
licence to acquire the manor from the prior and
convent of Beaulieu for sixty years, on condition
that he rendered to the king as much as they then
did. (fn. 6) He sold his estate in it to the prior and
convent of Merton, in Surrey, on 3 October,
1409; (fn. 7) and on 11 August following the king
granted licence for the prior and convent of
Beaulieu to grant the manor to the prior and
convent of Merton in mortmain under the condition that the latter should pay 100s. yearly at
the Exchequer during the war. (fn. 8)
Priors of Partixbourne
Walter, occurs 1297 (fn. 9)
Ralph de Valle, occurs 1326 (fn. 10)
Neustria Pia, 917.
||Fine R. 9 John, m. 13.
||Inq. p.m. 6 Edw. III (2nd Nos.), No. 48;
Dugdale, Man. vii, 1012.
||Close, 7 Edw. III, pt. 2, m. 6.
||Pat. 14 Edw. III, pt. I, m. 35.
||Pat. 13 Ric. II, pt. 2, m. 8.
||Pat. 11 Hen. IV, pt. 1, m. 21.
||Ibid. pt. 2, m. 5.
||Prynne, Records, iii, 707.
||Exch. K. R. Alien Priories, bdle. 10, No. 10.