17. THE CELL OF SLEVESHOLM
The small priory of Slevesholm, dedicated to
the honour of the Blessed Virgin and St. Giles,
in the parish of Methwold, was founded by
William de Warenne, third earl of Surrey, in
the reign of Stephen. The founder gave to
Paul and his brother monks the island of Slevesholm in the fen of Methwold, providing that after
Paul's death a prior should be elected from the
monks of Castle Acre, who was to be presented
to and admitted by the Earl of Warenne and his
heirs. In 1309, John, earl of Warenne, confirmed the gifts of his ancestor. (fn. 1)
In 1291 the annual value of this small cell
was merely £1 10s. 7½d.; in the Valor of 1535
it was included with Castle Acre.
A visitation of the English Cluniac foundations, undertaken in 1390, mentions Slevesholm
or Slevsham as a cell of Castle Acre, consisting
of a prior and one monk. There was a daily
Blomefield mentions four priors of this cell—
Paul; Thomas; Thomas II, 1415; and Stephen,
1419. (fn. 2)
||Harl. MS. 2110, fols. 7, 14.
||Blomefield, Hist. of Norf. ii, 210.