68. THE HOSPITAL OF BOYCODESWADE, COXFORD (fn. 1)
The hospital of Boycodeswade, in the parish
of East Rudham, was founded by Harvey Beleth
about the year 1181, for the support of twelve
poor persons, with a secular canon or chaplain to
act as master or warden, and to serve therein for
his own soul and those of his ancestors. This
hospital, dedicated to the house of St. Andrew,
was placed under the control of the prior and
convent of Coxford, and was endowed with
lands in East Rudham, Marham, &c. It
subsequently became a general charge on Coxford
Priory, its endowments being merged in those of
In 1491, Robert Sharington, chaplain, left
money to every indigent person in the hospital.
The Valor of 1535 enters particulars of this
house under the priory of Coxford. Its annual
value was then £20; of which sum £5 6s. 8d.
was paid to the chaplain for celebrating ' in domo
elimosinar apud Boytildeswade pro anima Hervei
Beleth fundat ejusd' dom,' and £12 3s. 4d. for
the support of twelve poor persons.
The hospital disappeared when the monastery
||Blomefield, Hist. of Norf. vii, 153-4; Dugdale,
Mon. vi, 767; Taylor, Index Monasticus, 52.