70. THE HOSPITAL OF HAUTBOIS (fn. 1)
The hospital of Hautbois or Great Hobbesse,
commonly called God's House, was founded at the
head of the causey in this parish by Sir Peter de
Altorco, knt., early in the thirteenth century. It
was founded to receive both wayfarers and poor
of the locality. The house was dedicated to the
honour of St. Mary, and the founder assigned its
chief governance to the almoner of the abbey of
St. Benet, Holm, enjoining him to commit the
custody of it to the master of St. James's Hospital on the abbey causeway at Horning. The
master of Horning Hospital was in his turn to
appoint a deputy master or warden for the
immediate rule of God's House, Hautbois. Sir
Peter endowed this house with various lands in
Great and Little Hautbois, Worstead, Swannington and Banningham, which were released to
Peter Olive, the first chaplain and master of
St. Mary's, Hautbois.
Pope Alexander IV, in 1257, licensed the
house to have a chapel, bell and chaplain for the
use of the poor inmates, the revenues being
sufficient. Roger, the then master or warden,
certified this licence to the bishop of Norwich. (fn. 2)
The survey of 1535 enters this house as the
chantry of the Blessed Mary de Alto Boscd, in
Great Hautbois, of which John Potter was chaplain. The old hospital had apparently by that
date been reduced to a mere chapel, and the once
considerable revenue had dropped to 25s. 11½d.
per year. (fn. 3)
||Blomefield, Hist. of Norf. vi, 299-301; Tanner,
Notitia, Norf. xxxil.
||Cott. MS. Galba E, ii.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii, 356.