71.THE HOSPITAL OF HERRINGBY
This hospital was founded in 1447, pursuant
to the will of Hugh atte Fenne, for a master,
three priests, eight poor men and two servants.
It was endowed with eight manors, and with
the church of St. Ethelbert, Herringby. Hence
this parish church became collegiate, and the
hospital is sometimes described as a college. It
was also known as the God's House of Herringby. (fn. 1)
The Valor of 1553 names Simon Petyte as
the master 'collegii de Heringby voc Goddeshouse' and gives the annual value as £69 12s. 7½d.
The eight poor men in the hospital were receiving annually 46s. 8d. each for food and clothing,
and the women who looked after them 50s. 4d.
according to the founder's ordinance. The sum
of 20d. was distributed to other poor persons on the
founder's anniversary, and £6 13s. 2½d. in alms
to the poor on other occasions. A sum of
66s. 7½d. was also allotted to the bailiffs of Great
Yarmouth towards the repair of the gates of the
town, which was to be used to relieve the poor
from paying their share of a rate for that purpose. The master drew £6 13s. 4d. as stipend,
and each of the two fellows £5 6s. 8d. (fn. 2)
This house, which seems to have been exactly
fulfilling the intention of its founder up to the
last, surrendered to the king and was dissolved
on 27 January, 1554. To the surrender two
signatures are attached, namely those of John
Heithe, master of ' Goddeshouse,' and John
Burwyll. (fn. 3)
||Blomefield, Hist. of Norf. ix, 222; Dugdale, Mon. vi, 768.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii, 296-7.
Dep. Keeper's Rep. viii, App. 2, 23.