Victoria County History
A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2
William Page (editor)
Table of abbreviations
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'Hospitals: Racheness', A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 450. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38320 Date accessed: 01 August 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
95. THE HOSPITAL OF RACHENESS
At Racheness in the parish of South Acre, there
was a leper hospital, with church or chapel dedicated to St. Bartholomew, of early foundation.
It was subordinate to the priory of Castle Acre.
By an undated deed, temp. Henry II, Herbert de
South Acre gave the land on which stood the
church of St. Bartholomew, with three roods
about it, and two acres at Burston, to Castle Acre
Priory, for the use of the lepers there remaining,
together with half the foldcourse and common
of pasture, where his stock and that of his
brother Alan fed. (fn. 1)
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd