Hospitals
Walsingham

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1906

Supporting documents

Page

452

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Walsingham', A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 452. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38323 Date accessed: 25 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

103. LAZAR-HOUSE OF WALSINGHAM

There was a lazar-house or a spittle of old foundation at Walsingham. Blomefield found mention of it in 1486; and in 1491, Robert Pigut, by will, gave messuages called the Spittlehouses, with lands, freemen, and villeins pertaining, in Walsingham and Houghton to Robert Godfrey and others, on condition that they settled them on John Ederich, a leper of Norwich, and Cecil his wife, for their lives; and afterwards to admit two leprous men or one, of good family, from time to time. (fn. 1)

Footnotes

1 Blomefield, Hist. of Norf. ix, 281-2.