Victoria County History
A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2
William Page (editor)
Table of abbreviations
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'Hospitals: Wymondham', A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 453. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38325 Date accessed: 23 September 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
105. THE HOSPITAL OF WYMONDHAM
Half a mile to the east of Wymondham
stood Westwade chapel, originally built on a
bridge. Here was a cell of Burton Lazars in
Leicestershire, to which great lazar-house William
de Albini, some time before 1146, gave sixscore acres of land in Wymondham parish.
Thereupon the hospital of Burton Lazars built
a small hospital or leper house on this site, in
which was a master and two or three brethren.
They sought alms of travellers who used this
bridge. (fn. 1)
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd