21. THE COLLEGE OF UPHOLLAND
In 1310 Sir Robert de Holland obtained a
licence in mortmain to endow a college of thirteen chaplains, one of whom bore the title of dean,
in the chapel of St. Mary and Thomas the
Martyr on his manor of Upholland near Wigan. (fn. 1)
The college took the place of a chantry for two
priests, projected three years earlier but perhaps
not carried out. This was to have been endowed
with two messuages and two plough-lands in
Holland and a third in Orrell. (fn. 2) The grant to
the college was limited to one messuage and one
plough-land in Holland, but there was added the
advowson of Child wall church, which the founder
seems to have acquired from Thomas Grelley, the
last baron of Manchester of his name.
The first dean was William le Gode, who died
in the following year, and was succeeded by
Richard de Sandbach. (fn. 3) On 9 January, 1313,
William de Snayth and six other chaplains were
instituted to prebends on the presentation of the
founder. (fn. 4) The college may not until then have
attained its full complement, but the institution of
six priests not very long afterwards renders another
explanation possible. (fn. 5) The situation was lonely,
the prebends cannot have been of much value,
and vacancies were probably frequent. Harmony,
we are told, seldom prevailed in the college and
ultimately the canons deserted it. (fn. 6)
After an interval the endowments were transferred in 1319 to a new priory of Benedictine
monks. (fn. 7) Among them was the rectory of Whitwick near Ashby de la Zouch in Leicestershire,
which Pope John XXII had appropriated to the
college on the very eve of its dissolution, on the
petition of Sir Robert de Holland and at the request of Thomas, earl of Lancaster and Leicester,
patron of the church. (fn. 8) Childwall, of which at
first it had only held the advowson, (fn. 9) seems to have
been appropriated to the college somewhat earlier.
Cal. of Pat. 1307-13, p. 233.
Lancs, Inquests (Rec. Soc.), i, 322.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. Langton, fol. 59b.
||Ibid. fol. 32b.
||Ibid. fol. 61.
||Dugdale, Mon. iv, 411.
Cal. of Pat. 1317-21, p. 353. See ante, p. 111.
Cal. of Pap. Letters, ii, 188; cf. ii, 215.
||A rector was presented by William le Gode and
the presbyters of the college in March, 1311; Lich.
Epis. Reg. Langton, fol. 59.