11. THE PRIORY OF RATLINGHOPE
Between 1199 and 1209 Walter Corbet, an Augustinian canon presumably professed in the abbey of
Wigmore, acquired the manor of Ratlinghope either
from the coheirs of Robert Corbet or from the king
and gave it to Wigmore.1 Llywelyn, prince of North
Wales, a kinsman of Walter Corbet, wrote to his
border chieftains instructing them not to molest the
land, which had been acquired for a pious purpose.2
A tiny dependent cell of Wigmore was established
here. The region was extra-parochial and the cell
has left few records. The canons extended cultivation by making a purpresture on the Long Mynd in
the mid 13th century.3 In 1291 the total value of the
property was said to be £3 12s.4 and in 1535, when
the property was assessed as part of the rents and
farms of the abbey of Wigmore, the valuation was
£4.5 The records do not indicate whether there were
still canons of Wigmore in Ratlinghope at that date.
The manor was granted in 1545 to the London
mercer Robert Long.6 Nothing remains of the
buildings, though Cranage recorded a tradition of
foundations existing north of the parish church.7
Prior of Ratlinghope
Roger, occurs before 1256.8
The prior was probably the proctor of his abbot,
with no seal of his own.
||Eyton, vi. 159–60
||Dugdale, Mon. vi. 496–7.
Rot. Hund. (Rec. Com.), ii. 63, 77.
Tax. Eccl. (Rec. Com.), 165.
||Dugdale, Mon. vi. 496; Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii.
L. & P. Hen. VIII, xx (2), pp. 228–9.
||Cranage, v. 424; x. 1005.
||Eyton, vi. 162.