Hospitals
St Sepulchre, Carlisle

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

J. Wilson (editor)

Year published

1905

Supporting documents

Page

203

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: St Sepulchre, Carlisle', A History of the County of Cumberland: Volume 2 (1905), pp. 203. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=39965 Date accessed: 22 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

13. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. SEPULCHRE, CARLISLE

The hospital appears to have been a vigorous institution in the thirteenth century, (fn. 1) but very little is known of its later history. At a date between 1309 and 1327 John de Crosseby, 'mestre del Hospital de Seynt Nicolas dehors Kardoil,' sent a petition to the king in council on behalf of John de la More and John de Boulton, brothers of the hospitals of St. Nicholas and St. Sepulchre, about certain arrearages due to the Crown from the demesne lands in the suburb of Carlisle leased to them by Henry III. (fn. 2)

Footnotes

1 Inq. p.m. 31 Hen. III. No. 25; 34 Hen. III. No. 46.
2 Anct. Petitions, No. 1949.