34. THE HOSPITAL OF WISBECH
Five cottages and 5 acres of land were assigned
by the community of Wisbech for the support
of sick persons. (fn. 1) As there is no trace of any inquisition or licence to alienate, it is probable that
the foundation of this hospital took place before
the first Act of Mortmain (1279). By 1334 the
patronage was in the hands of the Bishop of Ely,
and between that date and 1352 six collations to
the wardenship of St. John's Hospital at Wisbech are recorded. It may, however, be doubted
whether there was still a real hospital even in
1334; certainly it had ceased to exist by 1352,
when the property was taken into the king's hand
on the ground that the hospital was entirely waste
and perished. (fn. 2) In 1375 the estate was granted to
John Franceys, groom of the kitchen, to hold so
long as it remained in the king's hands. (fn. 3)
William Custhorp, resigned 23 Jan. 1335 (fn. 4)
John Wardrober of Lynn, resigned 15 Apr.
1342 (fn. 5)
John de Weston, collated 22 Oct. 1343 (fn. 6)
Ralph de Irtlynburgh of Ringsted, collated
13 Aug. 1349, exchanged with Robert de
Gedyngton, 29 Aug. 1349 (fn. 7)
Thomas de Wormenhale, collated 23 Jan.
1350 (fn. 8)
Ralph de Ryngstede, collated 4 Feb. 1351, (fn. 9)
resigned 1352 (fn. 10)
Edward de Cugenho, collated 13 March
1353 (fn. 11)
||Esch. Accts. bdle. 8, no. 24.
Cal. Pat. 1374–7, pp. 175, 430.
||Ely Epis. Reg. Montacute, fol. 28; Cole MS.
xxiii, fol. 145. He was rector of Balsham.
||a Reg. Lisle, fol. 26, Cole MS. xxxiii, fol. 79.
||Reg. Lisle, fol. 35; E.D.R. (1893), p. 107.
||Ibid. p. 121.
||Ibid. p. 151.