21. THE HOSPITAL OF LAMBOURN
John Isbury, who died in 1485, desired by
his will to found a chantry in the parish church,
in conjunction with a hospital or almshouse.
His son of the same name carried out his father's
intentions. A hospital was built on the north
side of the church for ten poor men, six to be
nominated by the Warden of New College,
Oxford, and four by the founder's heirs. These
bedesmen were to use the chapel of the Holy
Trinity, on the south side of the parish church,
for their devotions, kneeling round the tomb
(in the centre) of John Isbury, their founder.
The original pension was 8d. a week, with
clothes, and allowance of fuel and corn. The
chantry priest was to govern the almshouse and
pay the inmates their stipend. The annual value
of the almshouse, as separate from the stipend of
the chantry priest, was declared at £17 13s. 4d.
This hospital was technically dissolved in
1 Edward VI as 'superstitious'; but sufficient
influence was brought to bear to cause its reestablishment by Act of Parliament in 31
Elizabeth. (fn. 27)
There is a cast of the seal of this hospital at
the British Museum. (fn. 28) The Holy Trinity is
represented under a heavy canopy, with a kneeling figure of the founder and his arms (bendy,
wavy of six) in base. Legend:—
SIGILLŪ: COVUNE: DOMS: ELEMOSINAR: IOHIS:
||Ashmole, Antiq. of Berks. ii, 244; Lysons, Berks.
309–10; Coll. and Chant. Cert. Nos. 8, 51.
||B.M. lviii, 52.