Hospitals
Bradebusk

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1910

Pages

166-167

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Bradebusk', A History of the County of Nottingham: Volume 2 (1910), pp. 166-167. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=40109 Date accessed: 26 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

27. THE HOSPITAL OF BRADEBUSK

The hospital of Bradebusk, (fn. 54) in the parish of Gonalston, was an old establishment dedicated to the honour of St. Mary Magdalene, founded by William de Heriz in the time of Henry II.

It is named in the Taxation Roll of 1291, where entry is made of Ecclesia de Gonoldeston, preter porcionem domus de Bradebuske indecimabilem, £8. (fn. 55)

In the year 1325 there was an inspeximus and confirmation of three charters to the masters and chaplains of this hospital. The first of these is the foundation charter by which William de Heriz gave to the infirm of Bradebusk the mill of la Moore with all its appurtenances, and the mill which was called 'Heverard' near the church of Lowdham, to hold by rendering to Simon son of Richard annually a mark as long as he wished to receive it, and also certain lands and meadows. They were also authorized to collect in his grove all the firewood they required. All this he did for the love of God and the souls of his father and mother and of all his ancestors. Among the witnesses to this charter were the Abbots of Darley and of Rocester. The second charter is one of Ivo de Heriz, who was probably the nephew of the founder. (fn. 56) He granted and confirmed to the hospital of St. Mary Magdalene of Bradebusk and to the infirm therein dwelling, or who should dwell there in the future, fifteen selions of land near to the said hospital. This charter is probably early in the reign of Henry III. The third charter is from John de Heriz, adding 4 bovates of land in Gonalston to the endowments of the house of Bradebusk and to the chaplains there serving God, to the intent that they should pray for the souls of John de Heriz, Sarah de Heriz (his daughter), and of Henry de Heriz (his brother). The date of this charter is at the end of the reign of Henry III or at the beginning of that of Edward I. (fn. 57)

In 1386 Archbishop Nevill granted a confirmatory licence to the chaplains of the chantry of Bradebusk of celebrating without prejudice to the church of Gonalston. (fn. 58)

Henry Marston, rector of Cressingham, was admitted to the custody of the hospital of St. Mary Magdalene of Bradebusk, on the presentation of Sir Roger de Swillington, on 30 October 1399. The vacancy arose through the resignation of Roger Wydmerepull. Sir Roger again presented in 1406. (fn. 59)

Some of the property of this hospital seems to have been lost before 1534. At that date the Valor Ecclesiasticus names only one chaplain, Thomas Newton, of the chantry at the chapel in Gonalston, voc' Brodebask, and the clear annual value was £5 18s. 9d. (fn. 60) There was evidently no income for any infirm.

The commissioners of 1545-6 made a like report as to the annual income. The priest who received it celebrated three times a week in the parish church of Gonalston, but the rest of the week in the hospital chapel of St. Mary Magdalene, a quarter of a mile from the parish church. (fn. 61)

The commissioners of Edward VI of 1547-8 returned the income as £6 3s. 9d.; it all went to Thomas Newenton, chantry priest, who was reported to be sixty years of age, 'unlerned, lame and without any other living.' (fn. 62)

When John Kirkby was instituted to the custody of this chapel in 1556, 'Georg Moneoux, com. Nott. armig.' was patron. Louis Moneoux was patron in 1603. (fn. 63)

The Heriz estates passed by marriage to the Swillingtons in the time of Richard II, and thence in the reign of Henry VI to the Pierreponts. In the reign of Henry VIII Sir William Pierrepont sold Gonalston Manor and the advowson of the chapel of Bradebusk to Alderman Monox of London. (fn. 64) The rector of Gonalston is still technically warden of Bradebusk Hospital.

Wardens of Bradebusk

Roger Wydmerepull, resigned 1399 (fn. 65)

Henry Marston, 1399 (fn. 66)

Henry Elmessall, resigned 1406 (fn. 67)

John de Asshelby, 1406 (fn. 68)

William Dyngall, 1421 (fn. 69)

Thomas Newton, occurs 1547, (fn. 69a) died 1556 (fn. 70)

John Kirkby, 1556 (fn. 71)

Laurence Mitchell, died 1603 (fn. 72)

Hugh Baguley, 1603 (fn. 73)

Footnotes

54 The spelling of this place-name varies greatly; but this is the form usually adopted in the York Epis. Reg.
55 Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 310.
56 See pedigree of the somewhat confusing Heriz family in Thoroton, Notts. iii, 50.
57 Pat. 19 Edw. II, pt. i, m. 16.
58 Tanner, Notitia.
59 Harl. MS. 6969, fol. 93, 95.
60 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 160.
61 Chant. and Coll. Cert. xiii.
62 Ibid. xxxvii.
63 Harl. MS. 6969, fol. 156, 188.
64 Thoroton, Notts. iii, 53–4.
65 Harl. MS. 6969, fol. 93.
66 Ibid.
67 Ibid. fol. 95.
68 Ibid.
69 Ibid. fol. 120.
69 a Chant. and Coll. Cert. xxxvii.
70 Ibid. fol. 156.
71 Ibid.
72 Ibid. fol. 188.
73 Ibid.