Victoria County History
A History of the County of Nottingham: Volume 2
William Page (editor)
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'Hospitals: St Mary at West Bar, Nottingham', A History of the County of Nottingham: Volume 2 (1910), pp. 174. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=40115 Date accessed: 01 August 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
33. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY AT WEST BAR, NOTTINGHAM
Protection was granted for two years by
Edward III in 1330 to the leprous men of the
hospital of St. Mary atte Westebarre, Nottingham,
when collecting alms for the support of their
house. (fn. 164) This protection was renewed for
another two years in July 1334. (fn. 165)
Nothing more is known of this lazar-house;
it is not once mentioned in the borough records.
Most of England's walled towns had small
lazar-houses at their gates—sometimes, as at
Norwich, (fn. 166) at each gate—which were unendowed and chiefly supported by the casual alms
of travellers or of charitable townsfolk.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd